Team
    HAWTHORN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    278 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Midfield Rookies

@FantasyFreako@WarnieDT Suns Swallow on to LTI list soon, expect Darcy MacPherson to be upgraded and push for selection. #RocketsLoveChild
    Would be very handy, 82/108 in Nab1, rookie priced.

2. Likes Bert1, Notorious_29, Bunga, Narkee liked this post
    Team
    WEST COAST
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    918 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Haha - just posted something similar in the Random Gold Coast thread.
    SC is FFC's number 1 fantasy game

4. Likes Elvs1 liked this post
    Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    711 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Mature age rookies Tom Keough and Ryan Davis would also be well in the mix.

They do have one season elevation spot open already with only 39 on the senior list, although this may have been promised to Danny Stanley.

FFC Senior Assistant Coach hendo8888's Avatar
    Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, Rockliff's your typical 'overrated because he's good at DT' player. It's something I've been critical of Swan of in the past. Gets a lot of the ball, but doesn't really hurt the other team with those possessions.
    Rockliff is a very good forward, though. So although he racks up the possession in the midfield, he probably affects the game more positively up forward.
    Couple that with the fact that Brisbane have like 57 good midfielders and it makes perfect sense for him to spend a good portion of the game forward.
    They have recruited other guys who can also play forward capably, so it's not like Rocky will only play forward, but I can see a rotation where Bell, Taylor, Robinson, Christensen, Zorko and Rockliff rotate between bench, forward and midfield. Then Beams and Bastinac will play largely midfield and Rich and Hanley will play back and midfield.
    Then they have some other young guys coming through in Mathieson, Keays and Jansen who will also be competing for midfield minutes.
    You look at that list, and you start to wonder if Brisbane even know what a forward or a back looks like, because all of their players are midfielders primarily.
    Even their ruckman is basically just a tall midfielder.
    My quote here from the Rockliff thread got me thinking.
    Currently I have Keays and Mathieson earmarked for spots in my midfield (likely one on field, one on bench), and I originally thought that they'd be some of the more likely to get games of the rookies this year.
    But then when you put Brisbane's team together on paper, it makes you wonder where they all fit.
    How likely are Keays and Mathieson of actually getting early games?
    This post was more than likely SC based.
    If in doubt, assume it was.

Team
    FREMANTLE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I did my best 22 for the Lions I had basically one spot in the 22 open for a Keays/Jansen/Mathieson. I'd be pretty surprised to see more than one of those guys debut round 1.

Team
    HAWTHORN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    278 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hendo8888 View Post
    My quote here from the Rockliff thread got me thinking.
    Currently I have Keays and Mathieson earmarked for spots in my midfield (likely one on field, one on bench), and I originally thought that they'd be some of the more likely to get games of the rookies this year.
    But then when you put Brisbane's team together on paper, it makes you wonder where they all fit.
    How likely are Keays and Mathieson of actually getting early games?
    From what I've heard, read and seen, Mathieson is the only one that is most likely to play R1.
    You would think one would get a gig, but I wouldn't be penciling in anymore than that with your teams atm.

FFC Senior Assistant Coach hendo8888's Avatar
    Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elvs1 View Post
    From what I've heard, read and seen, Mathieson is the only one that is most likely to play R1.
    You would think one would get a gig, but I wouldn't be penciling in anymore than that with your teams atm.
    If any rookies want to put their hand forward, now would be nice.
    There's like 2 options at this point, and one of them is $212k.
    I can't remember it ever being this bad.
    This post was more than likely SC based.
    If in doubt, assume it was.

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    711 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Will preface this by saying I'm not Mathieson's biggest fan. Not helped by his constant head flailing which lead to him drawing about 4 too high frees during his first match.

But watching the NAB 1 game, and at virtually every contest Mathieson is by himself skirting the contests, where as Keays was often starting in a defensive position marking Hall (not tagging, just marking with his arm across).
    In the past, Leppitsch has held guys back (Cutler in particular, Zac O'Brien, Nick Robertson to a lesser extent) for not being strong enough with their defensive running.
    Also still question marks on his fitness for mine. Need to see him more to determine if he can run out games. They showed his athletic profile during the match which basically said below average endurance.

Comments on the two by Simon Black:
    Ben Keays: “He’s got a high work rate and is a really good runner. He’s got high energy and a high work rate. He’s going to have to keep working on his skills. He’s got a neat left foot, but how he can adapt that to the speed of AFL will be a good challenge for him.”

Rhys Mathieson: “Rhys is a competitor. He’s got that good technique of being able to win a free kick — he’s got that down pat. He’s a really good ball winner. He can win his own footy and involve himself offensively really well. The challenge will be, like all the kids coming in, improving the defensive side of his game and not ball watching.”
    Gut feel to me says Keays will do better and Mathieson is media hype. Happy to be proven wrong on this.

Team
    HAWTHORN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    278 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pvcyclone View Post
    Not helped by his constant head flailing which lead to him drawing about 4 too high frees during his first match.
    He’s got that good technique of being able to win a free kick — he’s got that down pat.
    Did notice that as well, sort of dove into tackles.
    Lol at Black highlighting that about him.

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    892 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

From what I saw... Keays looks to have a very AFL ready body, that his endurance is also apparently good is great, looked skillful enough to me but is built like a little bull. Actually reminded me a fair bit of Zach Merrett physically, same squatty, powerful short space type of build.

Mathieson just looked like a right footed Bewick to me, apparently is a clearance beast but didn't really see anything to suggest it will translate immediately, looked very undersized next to the AFL guys, that said his junior numbers support that he should be a very good scorer in the right role.

There is a spot for one of them in the Brisbane side, maybe even both with a few injuries but it wouldn't shock me if they both played a handful of games but rarely together.

Brisbane has to be one of the hardest 22s to pick right now. They've basically got their HFF and first midfield group that's easy to pick and then you can pretty much make a case for the other 16 spots having multiple options.
    The Truck is driving the Fish Shack in 2018... Christian Petracca is my boy!

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    305 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

what's the go with Jansen? i'd have thought he should be pushing hard for a spot
    TEX WALKER. that is all.

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    586 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Think Mathieson was meant to be the one that impressed the most in the intra-club games whilst not doing so well in the fitness type stuff. From what I read he just knows where to go, whether that gets him ahead of the other two is another thing.

Team
    FREMANTLE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I get the feeling the team named this week is barring on full strength from the Lions. Leppa did say after the first match the next two games would be taken a lot more seriously in regards to best 22.

BRISBANE LIONS
    1. Ben Keays, 2. Ryan Harwood, 4. Ryan Bastinac, 5. Mitch Robinson, 7. Tom Bell, 8. Rohan Bewick, 10. Daniel Rich, 11. Pearce Hanley, 12. Stefan Martin, 14. Josh Walker, 15. Dayne Zorko, 18. Nick Robertson, 21. Daniel Merrett, 22. Marco Paparone, 23. Josh Schache, 24. Liam Dawson, 25. Daniel McStay, 26. Tom Cutler, 28. Lewis Taylor, 29. Jaden McGrath, 30. Eric Hipwood, 31. Harris Andrews, 32. Sam Mayes, 34. Jonathan Freeman, 35. Ryan Lester, 36. Rhys Mathieson, 38. Tom Rockliff, 44. Archie Smith, 46. Billy Evans

The 17 players bolded are guys I'm almost certain are best 22. Then you have D.Beams, Clarke and Christensen who are best 22 who should be right for round 1. Josh Green is the other guy who plays when fit, but unlikely for round 1.

Harwood - Merret - Andrews

Cutler - Clarke - Mayes
    Rich - Rockliff - Hanley
    Zorko - Walker - Christensen
    Taylor - ???????? - Robinson
    Martin - D.Beams - Bastinac
    INT - Bell - Paparone - McStay - ??????

Schache and Freeman fighting for the FF spot, leaving one bench position open. You've got older guys in Bewick, Lester and Robertson fighting for that spot as well as Keays, Mathieson and possibly Jansen (who seems to be out of sorts or maybe managing a niggle considering he hasn't been selected).

Still fairly confident one of Keays/Mathieson/Jansen plays round 1 in that open spot, but it's still hard to call.
    Last edited by Notorious_29; 4th March 2016 at 09:25 AM.

16. Likes Elvs1, pvcyclone liked this post
    Team
    HAWTHORN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    278 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For those playing lol, Harwood's a good option there priced at only 198k

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    711 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

on the topic of lol rookies who aren't rookies in other comps, Peter Wright is 146k in lol. Worth picking.

19. Likes Elvs1 liked this post