Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    895 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Re: Back Rookies

Quote Originally Posted by hendo8888 View Post
    Longmire doesn't like playing young guys, so you'd imagine that Mills, Newman and Hewett wouldn't all fit into the starting team.
    Not sure where that myth comes from. Roos didn't like to but Horse has loved to play young guys (in Roos defense, we barely drafted anyone under him).

Parker, Heeney, Lloyd, Mitchell, Johnson, Cunningham, Hannebery, Jones and Rohan are all guys that have played a lot of football as young guys. Can add Towers and Rampe but they were mature aged when drafted so not as young obviously.
    The Truck is driving the Fish Shack in 2018... Christian Petracca is my boy!

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    712 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Great summary @Wogitalia .

It'd be nice if he were at a weaker club. Always a tough side to break into. I'd say it's still more unlikely than likely that he gets a gig rd 1, so I'm hoping people aren't reading it as if I think he's a shoe in to play.
    All I'm saying is if/when he does get a game, he's a must pick in fantasy.

FFC Agent of Chaos Big Sledge #32's Avatar
    Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    577 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Right now I am starting 3x rookie defenders in SC and I'm pretty comfortable with that. It helps me pay for those big ticket premiums that I'm starting on other lines like Fyfe, Danger & Goldy.
    Baltimore Ravens Superbowl XLVII Champions
    Quote Originally Posted by Narkee View Post
    SC only

#AgentOfChaos

Team
    WEST COAST
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    921 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pvcyclone View Post
    Great summary @Wogitalia .

It'd be nice if he were at a weaker club. Always a tough side to break into. I'd say it's still more unlikely than likely that he gets a gig rd 1, so I'm hoping people aren't reading it as if I think he's a shoe in to play.
    All I'm saying is if/when he does get a game, he's a must pick in fantasy.
    x 2 - awesome stuff Wogi

pvc, what are Newman's weaknesses/areas he needs to work on, if you are aware? I assume he is just not as strong defensively as he needs to be at the AFL level. Outstanding numbers/stats for him, fingers crossed he impresses Horse & the coaching staff this weekend.
    SC is FFC's number 1 fantasy game

Team
    WEST COAST
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    921 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sledge #32 View Post
    Right now I am starting 3x rookie defenders in SC and I'm pretty comfortable with that. It helps me pay for those big ticket premiums that I'm starting on other lines like Fyfe, Danger & Goldy.
    I am weighing that up also, very tempted to take Lonergan as a midpricer in the D4 spot with Swallow gone for 1/2 the season, JOM sidelined for the first 5 weeks after seeing Lonergan in action last weekend. Looked in great shape, 5 kilos lighter - just seemed primed for a big season/breakout contender. If playing as an inside mid I think he is every chance of averaging enough to be a keeper in defence this year with it being the lowest averaging area on the ground. Looking fwd to seeing him in action v WCE later today.
    SC is FFC's number 1 fantasy game

6. Likes Big Sledge #32 liked this post
    Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    712 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Quote Originally Posted by Bunga View Post
    x 2 - awesome stuff Wogi

pvc, what are Newman's weaknesses/areas he needs to work on, if you are aware? I assume he is just not as strong defensively as he needs to be at the AFL level. Outstanding numbers/stats for him, fingers crossed he impresses Horse & the coaching staff this weekend.
    yeah one on one defending as far as I'm aware.

Not amazing speed, but don't think it's a big deficiency either and kicking is very good to make up for that.

8. Likes Bunga liked this post
    FFC Senior Assistant Coach hendo8888's Avatar
    Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm assuming he'd be looking to push into the spot Shaw has opened up?
    This post was more than likely SC based.
    If in doubt, assume it was.

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    895 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Quote Originally Posted by pvcyclone View Post
    yeah one on one defending as far as I'm aware.

Not amazing speed, but don't think it's a big deficiency either and kicking is very good to make up for that.
    The positive is that we have plenty of defenders down back. Laidler, Smith, Grundy and Richards are all essentially stay at home guys and Rampe is very much a defender first and attacking option 2nd. We looked so much better when we had Shaw and Malceski both guys who will look to attack a lot. I'd be hoping we can get that kind of balance back and Newman is a great option, personally I'd like Laidler out and Rampe to play as the 3rd tall more where he becomes a better attacking mismatch as well.

As always though, I expect Horse will pick the dour, defensive option that doesn't suit the side at all

Quote Originally Posted by hendo8888 View Post
    I'm assuming he'd be looking to push into the spot Shaw has opened up?
    I think Mills has grabbed that one with open hands. I think he is fighting for a bench spot opened up by Jetta leaving and needs to be able to fill a few gaps (which he is capable of from all reports). I think that McVeigh, McGlynn and Rohan all being out certainly helps his cause. McVeigh is unquestionably our best ball user and his absence will be profound if it's for any kind of extended period or if he is at all limited on return (he's basically our only midfielder I trust to hit a forward target). I think Newman's best case is probably that he slots into McVeigh's spot in round 1 and then wins the pill and uses it well and forces his way ahead of the Towers, Lloyd, BJack, Cunningham, Rohan, Jones and co multiheaded dragon of mediocrity that have been eating a couple of best 22 spots for 2 years now.

I think Hewett is in the same boat with the McGlynn spot for what it's worth, I think the door will be open and if he can stamp a claim he can also move ahead of that group that have all had a couple of years to thoroughly prove they're plodders at best.

The sad part is that both Hewett and Newman have exceptional scoring potential, both Newman and Hewett can be 75+ scorers if they establish themselves in the side, they're good ball users who can win the ball, we have basically McVeigh and generally Parker that fit that criteria. I think they're the definition of high risk/reward picks if they make the round 1 side and McVeigh/McGlynn aren't in the side.

11. Likes Devo, Nothing liked this post
    FFC Football Operations Manager Hodges's Avatar
    Team
    HAWTHORN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Awesome write up Wogi, much appreciated.
    Only ever talking SC

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    712 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

GEELONG defender Tom Ruggles says he would be ready to step into any vacancy left by the injured Jackson Thurlow.

Thurlow will sit out the season after scans yesterday confirmed the devastating news of a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee.

Thurlow, tipped for a breakout season across half back, was stretchered from the ground after a seemingly innocuous collision with Essendon’s Mitch Brown on Saturday.

Ruggles, last year’s Geelong VFL best and fairest who was then picked up in the rookie draft, said he felt he could fill Thurlow’s spot if called upon by coach Chris Scott.

“Yeah I think I’m ready, personally,” Ruggles said.

“It’s just making sure that I do everything right, learn a lot off the older boys and talk a lot with the coaches to find out how to get better and learn the game plan a bit more.

“Hopefully, if a spot does open up, I can take it.”

The 23-year-old had 15 possessions in his first outing with the AFL team against a virtually non-competitive Essendon on the weekend.

Assistant coach James Rahilly said Ruggles had impressed the Cats’ coaching staff and that he would be on their radar as a replacement for Thurlow.

“I thought Tom was pretty good, his defensive work was good,” Rahilly said.

“His one-on-one stuff, he gave us that rebound, so he could come in … he could be an option for us.”

If Thurlow is added to the long-term injury list, Ruggles could be upgraded to the senior list immediately.

Ruggles said he had worked hard over the pre-season on being more defensively conscious.

“I’ve worked a lot with Shane O’Bree on taking my man out and then winning the ball from there, and not trying to gamble and try and win the ball (straight away),” he said.

“Defence-first has been a massive priority for me over the pre-season and everyone else.

“I think I can read the ball pretty well, so fitting into the backline and reading the play, taking my man out and then working off him and trying to get forward and use the ball.”

The Cats’ backline took a hit to its personnel in the second half of last weekend’s game, with Tom Lonergan (ankle) sitting out the second half and Lachie Henderson (knee) taking no part in the final quarter, adding to the absence of Thurlow.

Veteran Andrew Mackie has also been rested for the game, but Ruggles said there was good depth in the defensive area for Geelong to call on.

“We’ve got a good mixture in there, that can use the footy as well and run off their opponents, so we’re looking pretty good down there at the moment,” he said.

“I think (being a few defenders down) slowed our ball movement down a little bit, I think a few of the boys, with less rotations, were a bit tired.

“We just wanted to control the footy and not turn it over too easily and have to defend the whole time, so I thought we did it pretty well.”

The Cats said injuries to Lonergan and Henderson were not serious, while Mackie is also expected to be available against Fremantle in Western Australia on Saturday.

Ruggles hopes he can get another chance to impress before the season open against Hawthorn on Easter Monday.

“I hope so, hopefully there’s another game for me, but we’ll just have to find out during the week with Mackie and that available as well,” he said.
    http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/...f91297c2911054

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    895 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Liked what I saw from him on the weekend, very much physically ready to jump in and looked decent with ball in hand.

Cowan the other guy who is a very good chance to fill the hole, who is a bit more expensive but still very much rookie priced.

Team
    FREMANTLE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hell I'm toying with starting 4 DEF rookies at the moment, there's enough of a pool - Weitering, Mullet, Brown, Hartley, Adams, Broad, Collins, Cowan, Ruggles, Tippa, Newman, C.Cameron. The closer I come to round 1 the more I think Libba will be the only midpricer I take this season and I just hate the DEF premos to be honest. Playing around with taking Boyd/Heater and Bartel + the four rookies. Allows me to load up the midfield with six genuine premos + Libba + Mills and three genuine forward premos + Menzel + Wells + Kerridge. With the amount of FWD/DEF DPP guys as well you would basically need to fill 4 spots on the field from 7 rookies with the flexibility.

16. Likes Bert1, Narkee, Athomas liked this post
    Team
    CARLTON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Byrne named again for NAB3 too... I guess if he finally performs, he's a 80%+ chance of playing Round 1.
    AFL Twitter --------------------------- This post is SC related--------------------------Movie Twitter

18. Likes Notorious_29 liked this post
    Team
    GEELONG
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    437 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

You missed Tom Lee too.

Don't tempt me lads. I have been thinking the same thing.
    Zach Tuohy my boy for 2017!

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    589 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Is Goddard injured or Tom Lee just preferred at this stage?

Not that keen on him, been in the system for a little while now and hasn't really done that much outside of showing a little as a forward in his first season for St.Kilda but he's now playing at the other end of the ground. I guess he should be matured aged and is cheap, just worry what his his JS will be like (without having actually seen him play as a defender) and I can't see him being a really strong scorer (based on what he's done at AFL level so far).