Team
    FREMANTLE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    299 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Back Rookies

Thoughts on if we have enough depth here to start 3 rookie defenders this year? I'm currently hating on the majority of the defender premiums and not finding a single midpricer enticing enough. The only premiums I really like are Boyd, Shaw, Bartel (fully priced) and maybe Birchall/Yeo as improvers. Laird and Kolo interest me somewhat but not enough to take them at this stage.

So ideally 3 premos/3 rookies is the way I want to go. We have Hartley/Brown locked down and then Collins, Adams, Broad, Clay Cameron, Byrne and Newman as other speculative picks. Weitering if you're willing to spend that much and I think we can cross off Hibberd/Collins (Freo) at this stage.

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    888 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

I think you almost have to take Weitering and pay that premium if you're planning to start 3 rookie backs, just think his security is needed given that outside the two Essendon guys (one of whom is a bit questionable scoring wise) there doesn't really look any good options and starting 3 rookies is actually picking 5 because both forwards and mids look to have some decent cows and you'd be sacrificing them to get more backs.

Don't mind the idea of starting 3 as I feel pretty similarly about the defenders as you do, if the rookies are there I will almost certainly run with them. There are a couple of mid price guys I don't mind but I'd probably rather not pick them.
    The Truck is driving the Fish Shack in 2018... Christian Petracca is my boy!

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    711 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Will know a lot more after Friday's Swans game.
    Newman is the potential game changer. Brown aside, he's the only one that you will absolutely need to start if he is best 22.

Think SC and DT could be different here.
    Hartley and Brown will both be more natural scorers in SC. Also think the Eagles Mitch Brown works as a slow burner bench player there. Weitering also a natural SCer. 3 rookies starting there is doable imo. At this stage whether it's a Weitering, Brown, Hartley on field type set-up or a Newman, Brown, Hartley type set-up is yet to be seen.

RDT looking very different. Don't think starting 3 rookie backs is doable currently. Need another base price rookie to sit on the bench. Newman could change things.

Another one to monitor from a potential games point of view that hasn't got a heap of coverage here is Tom Lee at St Kilda who is now playing as a KPD.

4. Likes Bunga liked this post
    FFC Senior Assistant Coach hendo8888's Avatar
    Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pvcyclone View Post
    Will know a lot more after Friday's Swans game.
    Newman is the potential game changer. Brown aside, he's the only one that you will absolutely need to start if he is best 22.

Think SC and DT could be different here.
    Hartley and Brown will both be more natural scorers in SC. Also think the Eagles Mitch Brown works as a slow burner bench player there. Weitering also a natural SCer. 3 rookies starting there is doable imo. At this stage whether it's a Weitering, Brown, Hartley on field type set-up or a Newman, Brown, Hartley type set-up is yet to be seen.

RDT looking very different. Don't think starting 3 rookie backs is doable currently. Need another base price rookie to sit on the bench. Newman could change things.

Another one to monitor from a potential games point of view that hasn't got a heap of coverage here is Tom Lee at St Kilda who is now playing as a KPD.
    Why is that? What makes Newman so must have? I don't know anything about him.
    This post was more than likely SC based.
    If in doubt, assume it was.

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    711 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Quote Originally Posted by hendo8888 View Post
    Why is that? What makes Newman so must have? I don't know anything about him.
    105 DT average as HBF in the VFL in 2014
    103 DT average in his last 13 games in the NEAFL last year. Season average of 91 DT, but his first 3 games were on reduced game time as he was coming back from knee surgery (not ACL, think it was medial)

Guy is a ball magnet. If he is named rd 1, have to pick (and start) him.

7. Likes Wheedus, Bunga liked this post
    Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like a winner.

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    711 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

@Narkee , where is Cowan in the Geelong pecking order?

Team
    GEELONG
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    435 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

It's really hard to say @pvcyclone . As you know, we have had many changes to the side which has meant there is a lot of competition for spots. It's really difficult to pick a B22 at this point.

I thought he was solid against the Pies and in the past Scott has played him when fit so it appears he rates him. The Cats forum I am on also rate him highly - dominates in the VFL (when fit). Unfortunately his body has failed him in the past which hasn't allowed him to get a good run at it.

This really doesn't help your question but he is a strong watch over the remaining two games. If he is named round 1 I will be very tempted by him. Our side is largely fit with Selwood x2 and Clark probably being the only ones not available for selection in round 1. SO if he is named that will give you a pretty good indication on where he sits in the scheme of things.
    Last edited by Narkee; 3rd March 2016 at 01:12 PM.
    Zach Tuohy my boy for 2017!

11. Likes pvcyclone liked this post
    Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    888 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Cowan is clearly super highly rated to still be on the list, certainly worth watching and I'd imagine absolutely worth picking if selected.

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    218 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

103 DT average in his last 13 games in the NEAFL last year. Season average of 91 DT, but his first 3 games were on reduced game time as he was coming back from knee surgery (not ACL, think it was medial)

Gary Rohan added to the Long term injury list opens the door for Newman.
    Twitter Damion23

FFC Football Operations Manager Hodges's Avatar
    Team
    HAWTHORN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are Newman and mills going for the same spot?
    Only ever talking SC

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Proud coach of Big Jenny Talia FFC
    SC 2013 - 11th
    SC 2014
    - 16th
    SC 2015 and beyond - foetal position

"Yonnies in the wind, we're ruggin' up for winter"

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Longmire doesn't like playing young guys, so you'd imagine that Mills, Newman and Hewett wouldn't all fit into the starting team.

Team
    FREMANTLE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    299 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodges View Post
    I'd say theres a couple of spots open with R.Shaw gone and Mcveigh struggling for round 1 in particular.

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    888 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Quote Originally Posted by Hodges View Post

I'd say yes but with the disclaimer that there are other openings.

My best guess at the best 22 is:

B - Smith Grundy Laidler
    HB - Mills Richards Rampe
    C - McVeigh JPK Hanners
    HF - McGlynn Franklin Heeney
    FF - Sinclair Reid Rohan
    R - Tippett Parker Jack
    Int - Mitchell Lloyd Cunningham Jones

Of that, Laidler plays as a 3rd tall and is the only defender I think isn't best 22, would think he'd only go out for someone like a Talia to come in.

Z. Jones I think is in but has had limited preseason and may be eased back (was named this week but first hitout for him) through the reserves early, he is another in direct competition with Newman.

McVeigh, McGlynn and Reid are all in genuine doubt for round 1 (McGlynn and McVeigh are basically already ruled out) and Rohan is on the LTI and wont be back until round 6 at the earliest.

So move Towers into Rohan's spot, imo.

Lloyd moves into McVeigh and Cunningham into McGlynn (I'm not sure either should be best 22 without the injuries but Longmire loves them for some reason). That would leave Mitchell on the pine with Jones another in doubt for round 1 (not good enough to play underdone so would have to earn the spot back).

All of that certainly leaves an opening for Newman. Of the rest of our list you've got the following breakdown:

The rucks/KP guys: Aliir, Davis, Derickx, Naismith, Nankervis, X. Richards and Talia - Will only play if needed due to injury or form, imo.

The smalls: BJack, Rose, Newman, Dawson, Hewett, Hiscox, Leonardis, Robinson and Towers.

Towers I think comes in for Rohan on the above. I'd say Hewett looked better than any of the others in our first NAB (better than they've ever shown for that matter) and thus is in the drivers seat to play early. BJack has proven he is no good, Rose is still developing an AFL level engine. Hiscox can't kick and would be a pure tagger. Newman is the most likely rookie elevation from what I've read and a chance if he impresses (was good in intra-club apparently). Dawson is very raw still but looked a talent. Leonardis also looked good but needs to improve the engine. Robinson is on the fringe.

It's going to be tight in other words and I'd think Newman would be holding a spot but pvc rates him very highly which always make a guy a chance to go from fringe to best 22 pretty quickly.

19. Likes Bert1, Devo, Notorious_29, pvcyclone, Bunga liked this post