MELBOURNE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    466 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: 2016 AFL Fixture

Quote Originally Posted by Notorious_29 View Post
    Easily adjusted in fairness by who travels where, as a good majority are in VIC. Work it on a rotating roster over seasons.
    This. 17 game regular season, with home and away fixturing equalised over 2 seasons or however many seasons it takes. But while the media companies are paying billions of dollars for the broadcast rights and sponsors are paying for TV/radio advertising for 22 regular season games, we are stuck with 22 and the current inequities will continue.

And on dylan's suggestion of a best of 3 playoff series for AFL finals, I can't get around it. It would take too long.
    #teamANB

Team
    GEELONG
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    438 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Skeeta View Post
    I think playing games based on ladder position for the 5 double ups is alright tbh.
    Agree but make no mistake, it will get pared back to 17 and there will be conference style finals series. It will make me cry.
    Zach Tuohy my boy for 2017!

FFC Agent of Chaos Big Sledge #32's Avatar
    Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    579 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hendo8888 View Post
    17 rounds just doesn't work. Then you have half the teams who only have 8 home games.
    We're at a point where each state has an even number of clubs.

Each team's main rivalry game can be a neutral game.

eg the Showdown isn't an Adelaide or Port home game and ticketing is divided evenly.

When there's an issue like GWS/Sydney host it at a neutral venue like ANZ
    Baltimore Ravens Superbowl XLVII Champions
    Quote Originally Posted by Narkee View Post
    SC only

#AgentOfChaos

FFC Senior Assistant Coach hendo8888's Avatar
    Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm 100% against a 17 round season. Maybe that's just me, but I'd hate it if we condensed the season by 5 games. 22 rounds is a good number. As far as fairness goes, maybe it's better, but I want to see my team live more than 8.5 times a year. That's not enough.
    This post was more than likely SC based.
    If in doubt, assume it was.

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    899 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

I'm also vehemently against a 17 game season.

Even with 17 games it wont be remotely fair, Victorian sides are still going to be playing like 15 home games a year compared to interstate sides getting 8 or 9. Playing teams like Fremantle and WCE away is going to be a massive strength of schedule difference compared to getting them at home. The blockbusters are still the same sides, only there is one less for most of them to fill the pot for the other clubs.

I just don't see where there is anything to gain from less football, it doesn't help the equity pretty much at all, especially now they've largely addressed the repeat games anyway, we just get less football, there is less money in the game, you pretty much remove all the records in the game because all future players are playing basically 25% less football. The dream of a 100 goal kicker, someone playing 400 games again, 30 Brownlow votes and all those other measures of achievement are just flat out gone.
    The Truck is driving the Fish Shack in 2018... Christian Petracca is my boy!

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    478 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Twitter Poster - A great twitter poster on behalf of FFC and TFP

AFL loses too much money, wont happen.
    hoff.

7. Likes pvcyclone liked this post
    Team
    FREMANTLE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

AFL loses too much money, wont happen.
    Pretty much, the sad truth.

FFC Football Operations Manager Nothing's Avatar
    Team
    FREMANTLE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    345 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Conferences are the future. It's time to embrace them.

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    899 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Quote Originally Posted by Nothing View Post
    Conferences are the future. It's time to embrace them.
    How do you make them remotely fair though without messing up everything?

I mean you'd basically have to split up WCE/Freo, Port/Adelaide, Brisbane/GC and GWS/Sydney to make them remotely even and then you remove 2 of the best modern rivalries and two that the AFL has spent a lot of time trying to build.

It's impossible to have it even remotely even without doing that. On top of that you would have to split at least 2 of the Hawthorn/Carlton/Richmond/Collingwood/Essendon group out from the rest and lose one of their matchups at a minimum as well.

Financially the idea of conferences is just terrible for the AFL, imo, because you're basically just removing the option of double blockbusters for say the Pies and Bombers.

I just don't see any way to split conferences without it being financially terrible or absurdly inequitable and I don't see how it's even better than the current system where you have the set and forget double matchups and then base current double ups based on the previous season. Look at the NBA and it's conferences, the East is so absurdly terrible that about 4 sides make it each year to the finals that have just no case being there over sides sitting at home in the west (and it's been that way for about 15 years now!).

Again... I always come back to what's actually wrong with the current system to require a major overhaul?
    The Truck is driving the Fish Shack in 2018... Christian Petracca is my boy!

FFC Senior Assistant Coach hendo8888's Avatar
    Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wogitalia View Post

I mean you'd basically have to split up WCE/Freo, Port/Adelaide, Brisbane/GC and GWS/Sydney to make them remotely even and then you remove 2 of the best modern rivalries and two that the AFL has spent a lot of time trying to build.

It's impossible to have it even remotely even without doing that. On top of that you would have to split at least 2 of the Hawthorn/Carlton/Richmond/Collingwood/Essendon group out from the rest and lose one of their matchups at a minimum as well.

Financially the idea of conferences is just terrible for the AFL, imo, because you're basically just removing the option of double blockbusters for say the Pies and Bombers.

I just don't see any way to split conferences without it being financially terrible or absurdly inequitable and I don't see how it's even better than the current system where you have the set and forget double matchups and then base current double ups based on the previous season. Look at the NBA and it's conferences, the East is so absurdly terrible that about 4 sides make it each year to the finals that have just no case being there over sides sitting at home in the west (and it's been that way for about 15 years now!).

Again... I always come back to what's actually wrong with the current system to require a major overhaul?
    Melbourne based and non-Melbourne based. Hawthorn (have them play in Tasmania more often) and one other (Geelong or North Melbourne I guess) in the non-Melbourne based conference.
    Conferences make no sense for Australia and AFL though, because we don't have teams evenly spread throughout the country, and we don't play 4 games a week, and we don't have 7 game finals series.
    This post was more than likely SC based.
    If in doubt, assume it was.

Team
    WESTERN BULLDOGS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    337 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wogitalia View Post

I agree that this is the major problem with conferences and as hendo said, the spread of teams in AFL don't make it realistic. This, imo, is why the AFL are trying to get this 17-5 thing going as they believe it to be the best way of taking the unfairness out of the fixture. The major problem I have with the 17-5 proposal is that you're going to end up with some teams playing 12 home games in a season and some playing 10 (unless you get incredibly lucky). Additionally, the bottom 6 teams really only have draft picks to play for at this stage and tanking will be likely be more common as these games now aren't affecting finals at all.

In terms of what's wrong with the current system, it's really only the fact that the AFL put money ahead of fairness. There's no reason why you can't have a 22 week season and over the course of an 8 year period, play every team the same number of times both home and away. To do this, however, the AFL would have to give up on automatically doubling up of derbies and some of the bigger games that they like to schedule twice a year.

Actually, it's not even that bad as over 8 years you'd have 176 games and if you play each team 10 times that's 170 games, leaving you with 6 games over 8 years for "special consideration". So you could actually still have the two local derbies 3 out of every 4 years under this system.

Edit: Fixed the maths
    Last edited by divvydan; 31st October 2015 at 04:50 PM.

Team
    FREMANTLE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    345 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've posted elsewhere but the one I could see the AFL agree to is 3 conferences.
    North - NSW, QLD and 2 Vic teams
    South - SA and 4 Vic teams
    West - WA and 4 Vic teams

Each team plays H/A against their conference then plays once against the other conferences.

The Vic teams aren't fixed and are changed each year. It helps AFL get Northern teams to the finals stage (tell me they wouldn't cream over that). The AFL keep their localised rivalries, and the Vic teams can be massaged to get whatever rivalries are in favour at that point in time.

Top team from each conference then next best 5 OR top 2 and 2 wildcards. The AFL could then do a wildcard W/E for 4 teams and give the 6 top teams a week off.

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    478 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The NSW, QLD + 2 VIC team would be absolutely terrible.
    hoff.

Team
    FREMANTLE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    345 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The NSW, QLD + 2 VIC team would be absolutely terrible.
    Yep, which I why I can see the AFL going for it, it just about ensures that every year the AFL get a Northern team or two in the finals.

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    478 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Problem is, some teams wont play other teams ever for that year. I don't really have an issue but the meltdown would be ridiculous. Also if you'd get clubs complaining they have to v. Hawks twice every year etc.
    hoff.