Mentioned
    899 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Re: 2016 AFL Fixture

Quote Originally Posted by pvcyclone View Post
    Don't agree at all really.

Coaches will still rest players yes, but the AFL now has the justification to crack down massively on mass restings in the final couple of rounds which is the issue in the first place.

Nobody cares if one or two players are out from a given team. What fans care about is not having the dead rubber Port v Freo and Richmond v North shambles games as in round 23 this year. By having the bye after round 23 those dead rubbers will not occur. It's as simple as that. If Freo or North proposed mass restings in a similar way, they would be rejected and told they are about to cop a massive fine if they have a host of outs. So to that end, the solution works.

Also we clearly don't miss out on a week of football. It's not like there would be another 9 games if they didn't have the bye.
    Nothing to stop them mass resting still. Nothing has changed from last year except it is now a 2 week rest if you do it. The AFL ruled last year with the North decision that ladder manipulation was A OK, adding an extra week of rest just makes the incentive greater (2 weeks is genuinely enough time to get over most niggles, one week is just a freshening up).

The North one was a joke that they allowed it in the first place, the Dockers had no impact on anyone so I had no problem with it anyway.

We aren't missing out but having a completely empty week in the business end of the season just seems moronic to me. Why not do bye rounds around round 8 and 16 if it's for player welfare which is the only reason to do it and balance it out so we can flow straight into finals.

The whole decision just makes no sense unless they've got something else planned like moving the Brownlow or some kind of stupid Pro Bowl type thing to fill that gap and even then, you're giving up all momentum heading into the finals.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben the Gooner View Post
    2012 or 13 for Essendon v Sydney I think. Was the game where Troy Pannell got absolutely poleaxed by Malceski after the single worst umpiring performance in sporting history.

I'm sure there's heaps of anomalies where team X has played team Y interstate 5 of the last 7 times or something, but a 6 year streak is very interesting.
    We host the Eagles for the first time since 2010 in 2016. Interesting that the AFL made such little effort to grow that rivalry which was very good for a couple of years, especially given that Sydney have no real rivals and WC only really have the Dockers and a faint memory of the Bombers.

It's interesting the AFL seems to not really try and create rivalries as much as possible. Have always thought that the ones we have are some of the best and that it's also one of the great things about sports in general.
    The Truck is driving the Fish Shack in 2018... Christian Petracca is my boy!

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    899 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Quote Originally Posted by Thumpy View Post
    Better to make the eight on merit than scrape in on an easy draw and lose the first final anyway.
    Crows are a great candidate to push for top 4 next year. I think if they're aiming for anything less they've already lost.

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    674 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Twitter Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Wogitalia View Post
    We host the Eagles for the first time since 2010 in 2016. Interesting that the AFL made such little effort to grow that rivalry which was very good for a couple of years, especially given that Sydney have no real rivals and WC only really have the Dockers and a faint memory of the Bombers.

It's interesting the AFL seems to not really try and create rivalries as much as possible. Have always thought that the ones we have are some of the best and that it's also one of the great things about sports in general.
    Maybe they're trying to distance themselves from two incredibly boring years of footy

It's a very good point though, the more organic rivalries that develop the better, especially interstate ones. Essendon/WCE, Essendon/BL, WCE/Sydney, BL/Collingwood for example
    Never bet against Tom Rockliff

Team
    WESTERN BULLDOGS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    337 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pvcyclone View Post
    the suggestion was the pre-finals bye call was only made last night.
    It was certainly late. I was watching a video on the AFL site with a panel looking at the pros and cons of each team's draw. The cons were often playing interstate in rd 23 for a likely finals team but they kept having to mention that it wasn't such an issue now. Suggests that they had the fixture some time in advance to prepare the video and do the graphics etc and then it got changed.

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wogitalia View Post
    Crows are a great candidate to push for top 4 next year. I think if they're aiming for anything less they've already lost.
    It's a tough ask with our draw, but the race for top four should be a lot more open next year. Hawks at this stage are probably the only certs to make it.
    Never argue with a fool. They'll drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

FFC Agent of Chaos Big Sledge #32's Avatar
    Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    579 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Carlton haven't played us in Adelaide since 2010 apparently. I don't mind that. Don't want to waste a home game on them anyway.
    Baltimore Ravens Superbowl XLVII Champions
    Quote Originally Posted by Narkee View Post
    SC only

#AgentOfChaos

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    899 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Quote Originally Posted by Ben the Gooner View Post
    Maybe they're trying to distance themselves from two incredibly boring years of footy

It's a very good point though, the more organic rivalries that develop the better, especially interstate ones. Essendon/WCE, Essendon/BL, WCE/Sydney, BL/Collingwood for example
    Still probably the best 2 GF of the last decade! The irony being that Sydney are playing far less attractive football now than we ever did back then.

It just seems weird that after having what was a budding rivalry the AFL basically cut its head off instead of promoting it.

In fairness, I don't understand most of what the AFL does these days.

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    579 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Since 2005 there's been 12 GFs

I'd say 5 or so of them have been great matches.

05, 06, 09, 10 (drawn) & 12

08 is a great upset and a damn enjoyable time.

07, 10 (rematch), 11 & the threepeat were all pretty stock standard floggings.

I probably say it's between 05, 06 & 10 for best GF.
    SC only

#AgentOfChaos

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

10 > 05 > 06 > 12 > 09

10 and 05 the standouts there in my opinion.
    Never argue with a fool. They'll drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

FFC Senior Assistant Coach hendo8888's Avatar
    Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sledge #32 View Post
    Carlton haven't played us in Adelaide since 2010 apparently. I don't mind that. Don't want to waste a home game on them anyway.
    It's not really wasting one, it just means we play someone else instead, who is tougher to beat. I'd rather play Carlton at home than Freo or Hawthorn.
    This post was more than likely SC based.
    If in doubt, assume it was.

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    579 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hendo8888 View Post
    It's not really wasting one, it just means we play someone else instead, who is tougher to beat. I'd rather play Carlton at home than Freo or Hawthorn.
    We should beat Carlton anywhere though. Having a Fremantle at home could be the difference between beating them or not. We pushed Fremantle at home last year and scorched WCE.

I'd be hoping we play the entire bottom four at their home ground.
    SC only

#AgentOfChaos

FFC Senior Assistant Coach hendo8888's Avatar
    Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, but you'd think we'd play them twice more than once in a 6 year period.
    This post was more than likely SC based.
    If in doubt, assume it was.

Team
    GEELONG
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    438 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Up until 3qtr time, 2011 was some of the best football I had seen. We ran away with it but it was up there IMO.
    Zach Tuohy my boy for 2017!

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    899 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sledge #32 View Post
    Since 2005 there's been 12 GFs

I'd say 5 or so of them have been great matches.

05, 06, 09, 10 (drawn) & 12

08 is a great upset and a damn enjoyable time.

07, 10 (rematch), 11 & the threepeat were all pretty stock standard floggings.

I probably say it's between 05, 06 & 10 for best GF.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumpy View Post
    10 > 05 > 06 > 12 > 09

10 and 05 the standouts there in my opinion.
    It's actually funny to look at the lists... for all the AFL's focus on scoring and changing every rule that's ever existed to increase scoring... the low scoring games have made far better spectacles.

Since 2005... 8 of of the 12 games have had 172 points or less scored in them. Of those 5 are the games that you've both (and I would also) agreed were the best 5. The replay, 2013 (easily the best of the 3 peat) and 2015 (which only made it because the Hawks started celebrating at 3QT) also fit under that level. I'd say of the high scoring games only 2008 and 2011 were decent spectacles. Heck, removing bias from the result I'd say that 12 was probably the worst of those good ones and it was the reason I set the mark at 172, otherwise only 2006 was above 148 of that top 5).

Just find it interesting. I'd be hard pressed to find a high scoring game that was a great game, I'd say 9 times out of 10 that high scoring means low pressure and I'd much rather watch a fierce contest than a track meet. It's funny that the AFL seems to focus on trying to remove what makes it great and focus on that which highlights when it's not great more often than not.

I reckon you'd have difficulty finding even casual fans who disagree with the above lists as well.

Team
    MELBOURNE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    466 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Up until 3qtr time, 2011 was some of the best football I had seen. We ran away with it but it was up there IMO.
    Have to agree. I was there in person and it was superb for the first 3 quarters.
    #teamANB

16. Likes Narkee liked this post