CARLTON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: 2016 Nab Challenge

Quote Originally Posted by dylan123 View Post
    Very interesting the big difference in rotations used between the two subs.

Did the umpires call many more deliberate out of bounces? Noticed that's been talked about a bit over the past couple of days, if they do become harsher on that/removing throw ins then it could potentially hurt the output of ruckman a little.
    Didn't seem harsh on it at all. There was one time a Hawks player walked over and they payed deliberate, would have borderline been paid last year.
    AFL Twitter --------------------------- This post is SC related--------------------------Movie Twitter

FFC Senior Assistant Coach hendo8888's Avatar
    Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Howe's SC ratio is a bit of a worry. In a shortened game, where pretty much every single player had a positive SC ratio, with most having a pretty large gap, 111/95 is pretty bad.
    He's not going to get close to that sort of DT output in the regular season, you'd imagine, so it's not a great sign.
    His SC ratios weren't good in his 4 games last year either.
    This post was more than likely SC based.
    If in doubt, assume it was.

3. Likes Athomas liked this post
    Team
    HAWTHORN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    279 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lewis, Mitchell, Hodge all looked their usual selves. Hodge pretty played behind the ball lapping up everything, sat out most of the 2nd half.
    O'Rouke look to play mostly as an inside mid, had a high rate of handballs 4:13
    Howe played fairly loose across the half back line, was always getting outside for marks. He showed quite good positioning and was always in the right spot to get fed the ball plus put his body on the line when needed defensively. A few times his kicks weren't great thou.
    Hartung as normal running around linking up, his kicking still misses the mark a lot.
    Birchall looked great really damaging by foot, delivered some great kicks inside 50.
    Miles, only came on late but was very busy and involved showed he could play at AFL level.

I have a feeling Howe was playing Birchall's normal role across half back while Birch pushed up the ground in the Suckling type role. Birch had 5 I50 and 4 R50. Not sure if this will continue in the real season. Been reading some people think Birch maybe getting groom to play the Roughy big bodied mid type role.
    Seem to be a bit of a knock on effect for some, Smith was playing bit more inside and was at some centre bounces appose to just on the wing, which gave the opportunity for others, I even notice Stratton line up on the wing at one stage.

Looking at the scores all of Hawthorn attacking backs racked it up which is expected given Carltons forward line.

To me JoR, Hartung and Howe are at the top on line to break into the side, but there's only 1-2 spots available. Depends how they replace Lake, if they go with Gibbo and add an extra mid type player or bring in a key back. Prob change each game depending on opposition.

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    899 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

I watched the 2nd half... twice in the end (was sort of watching the second time just put it on during dinner basically) so didn't see the first half...

Birchall - Looked great, moving well and racking up. Didn't notice any real role change but the fact he is playing these matches is a great sign to me, hadn't played a NAB Cup game in the last two seasons.

Lewis - Looked great, just a slutty role.

Mitchell - Also looked really good.

Hodge - Didn't notice him much at all, based on his interview after I don't think he played most of the 2nd half.

WhiteX - Looked pretty fit to me, role was solidish, seemed to be playing a pretty off ball role to me on the HFF. Wasn't watching him closely though.

Howe - Slutty, seemed to slot into the Burgoyne role to me, which is obviously a concern when he comes back but certainly likes to float into space for transferring kicks and showed all the skills to be in the side round 1, in that side with their game plan it's certainly possible he puts up big numbers.

Gibson - Was also slutty, helps he didn't really have to play on anyone and that the Hawks absolutely dominated the 2nd half, same old for him I daresay.

No other Hawks really stood out in that half.

Kerridge - Locked if he remains fit for round 1. Looks in great shape, had a great role and played great. That's all the boxes a rookie priced veteran needs to tick. Should be planning teams for him to start in both formats, imo.

Thomas - Looked to be playing really scared to me which is basically the opposite of what I expect from him, makes me question if he trusts the body which is a fair position for him. Looked far better with the ball though and seemed to be actually hitting his kicks. Covered plenty of ground and looked in decent shape (wouldn't say great), certainly has put himself on the radar with the opportunities at the Blues and his scoring history but a lot of work to do still.

Gibbs - barely noticed him in the 2nd half, looked fit when I did see him though.

Simpson - Still off HBF, would expect similar scoring to last year from him, looks fit.

Docherty - Same deal as Simpson, was pushing a bit higher than Simpson though so may have a bit more upside.

C. Curnow - Was trapped up forward from what I saw, which meant we got about 3 glances of him such was Hawthorn's dominance, moved well when it was up there but not sure he's fantasy relevant if playing forward in that team.

Graham - Was really solid, shame he is a MID because he'd have been a real option as a FWD, imo. Great role and looks in great shape.

Kreuzer - Looked fit but don't think he showed anything to suggest he's going to score at the level required.

Nothing else really stood out from the Blues, hard to judge because they were completely smashed and dominated in the half I watched, I dare say the Hawks with their forwardline instead of the Box Hill forwardline would have piled on about 20 goals in that second half, it was just a drubbing. Apparently the Blues looked much better in the first half and it's fair to say the Hawks had an almost full strength midfield against a just about 2nd string Blues midfield but it was a smashing.
    The Truck is driving the Fish Shack in 2018... Christian Petracca is my boy!

6. Likes Kangamagic, Bunga, Devo liked this post
    Team
    WESTERN BULLDOGS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    337 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

FREMANTLE
    Out: Brady Grey, David Mundy, Chris Mayne

RICHMOND
    Out: Liam McBean, Callum Moore, Todd Elton

Team
    FREMANTLE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So not much of a game last night bit of a training drill really.

Richmond - Thought Marcon looked really good in and under, snapped a nice goal from a clearance, at basement price lets hope he sees an upgrade. Broad showed signs as well, kicks the footy well, positions himself down back well. Not much else to note here, Brandon Ellis was in his usual slutty midfield role and looking fit before being taken off and Conca found quite a bit of it as well. The next two games should show us a bit more about the tigers with the main squad back.

Freo - Barlow obviously everywhere, was already an automatic but nice to have some reassurance. Neale picked up where he left off in 2015, was everywhere and used it brilliantly. Heard Mooney say Neale has packed on 5kg with the stength and conditioning coaches this pre-season meaning those tackle numbers that were quite poor last season could well see a rise. Really liking Neale to be a 110+ guy this year.

The defence was its usual best, Silvagni looked really good can't see a spot for Collins to start the season, probably behind A.Pearce as well. Sutcliffe, Spurr and Ibbo all played well but not overly fantasy relevant.

Fyfe superb when he came on in the 3rd, no signs of any restrictions has to come into considerations in both formats. Ballantyne came off with a hamstring it looked like will be touch and go for round 1.

Lastly Blakely and Weller were fantastic, these kids would be playing first string midfield at a handful of different clubs - putting serious pressure on guys like Suban, Mzungu and a few other guys who run in off the HFF. Both should play a lot more this season.

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Watched last night's game in patches so apologies if I miss key points/roles but some general talking points.

Barlow - haven't looked at full stats but played on ball and got a decent amount without being overly prolific. Got those midfield minutes as we want to see but Mundy didn't play and Fyfe only the 2nd half so if he didn't get minutes last night he never will.

Neale - really impressed me. I recall he had a minor injury a couple of weeks back in an intra club but showed no signs of that last night. Again, I haven't looked at any stats but he seemed everywhere. Ran really hard and looks cherry ripe. Definitely back on my radar. Could again take that step up with his ability to go big and not be on the forefront for tags with Fyfe/Mundy beside him.

Walters - one of the best on the ground. Played much further up the ground than we usually see and ran through the midfield. I'm not sure this will continue outside of the NAB Challenge but he was definitely good. Something to keep an eye on nonetheless.

Fyfe - looks fit, full man bun and hasn't lost it despite looking a bit rusty at times. Only played the 2nd half, without getting out of 2nd gear I suspect, and still racked them up. Probably has to be considered in SC now given his ceiling.

Freo game plan - I don't expect to see too much change in 2016. Pavlich said after the game that they'd had a focus on scoring power and hopefully fans saw a slight tweak in approach. It won't be anything drastic I suspect other than being willing to take the game on a little bit in certain phases through the game. They will also look more attacking in the NAB Challenge when trialling things especially against a second string Richmond side.

Richmond - I'll put this into one piece. They were missing majority of their stars which really makes this so hard to take much from. A couple of cheaper fantasy options, Marcon & Broad, did well enough but I suspect their roles need to be monitored once Tigers bring a few back. Not many glaring talking points from Richmond imo. The remainder of their games will tell us more.
    2010 Footytips AFL Fantasy Winner
    2010/11 ABC Ashes Fantasy Cricket Runner-Up
    2010/11 Foxsports Big Bash Cricket Fantasy Weekly Winner
    2011 tipthenrl.com NRL Tipping Winner
    2011 AFL Dreamteam Prospectus Group and AFL Membership Group Winner

FFC Football Operations Manager Nothing's Avatar
    Team
    FREMANTLE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    345 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On Neale, he got a knee (to knee) knock in an intraclub game. He was helped off the ground by 2 trainers but hasn't missed any training. Probably a scare moreso than anything. He's had a full preseason and certainly on radars.

Team
    WESTERN BULLDOGS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    337 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I know it's an early game so no-one is taking any notice but currently 3rd quarter in Stk v Nth with Nth leading by a goal.

Team
    WESTERN BULLDOGS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    337 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Game starting to blow out now, North well on top.

Team
    WESTERN BULLDOGS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    337 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Jed Anderson has basically been stuck in the forward line the entire time.

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

7 possessions @28% isn't great.

Team
    FREMANTLE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just tuned in. Very low scores DT wise.

Team
    WESTERN BULLDOGS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    337 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Yeah, Seb Ross was really the only ball magnet today, 107dt and 131sc (20 centre bounces).

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He was the only guy with more than 18 possessions.
    North scored 117 with only 4 players collecting over 15 possessions. Saints defense must be pretty bad.