SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    899 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Re: 2016 Nab Challenge

So just got done with the Melbourne vs St Kilda game, slowly getting there!

Thought it was a ripper of a game, probably the best tackling from both sides I've seen to date, loved the ferocity of both sides.

Melbourne -
    Wouldn't be at all shocked if they push for the 8 this year, think they look to have moved from the outside the 8 group to inside that group of about 12 teams this year who have cases for the 8. Really liked how they went about it all game.

St Kilda - They looked like a team that was a game behind in the preseason, seemed to lose the pace just a bit earlier, just a step off on a lot of disposals and just lacked a bit of polish but did love their intensity and work rate, most of their goals included some pretty great pressure work or gut running. Think they're probably just a notch below Melbourne right now but right on the edge of that group that will fight for the 8 and a few breaks here or there could quickly change it for them also...

Melbourne

Jones - Solid hitout from him, can never question his work rate or intensity, he actually scored more than I thought but looked over the nagging injuries that bogged him down all of last year, great for my Legacy side, don't think he can push that extra 10 points to premium level but you never know.

Viney - Loved his game, was very well held early and just kept working and working and working until he forced his way into the game and was the dominant player of the 2nd half. Have not held back elsewhere on my thoughts on him, I don't think I can pick him but I'd love to pick him and be right, just love the way he plays.

Watts - @Devo on point here, just looked terrific all game. Looked confident, not sure he made a mistake with the ball, ran to the right spots, really benefits from Pedersen and Frost in the side because he can out muscle smaller guys or out run the bigger guys instead of ending up matched up with the guys who really match him physically, not sure how he goes if teams put work into him but really great start.

Tyson - Worked his well into the game nicely, looked fit, not sure he can push high enough to be relevant either but he is sneaky cheap in SC.

Oliver - I honestly don't know how they can leave him out of the side. He started to look a bit gassed late in the game but his attack on the ball and man is elite, he's got great line breaking ability and he makes great decisions. Looks a real stud, be very surprised if he doesn't play somewhere in the 20 games region even if they make him earn it after round 1. Sneaky rising star bet for mine. Would give him genuine thought if he's named round 1, like Mills, he looks very capable of being worth the premium, see no reason he can't put up numbers akin to someone like Dunstan as a reasonable season, honestly watching him I don't really see any reason he couldn't push the O'Meara/Crouch super rookie level, it's rare you see a kid set a physical standard like that. The fact that he looks like Sam Blease and somehow erases that taste is just some kind of awesome irony or something.

Gawn - Honestly, it's hard to not put him into my side watching that. It really stood out how good he is with both hands, something that makes Goldy so effective with his hitouts. I also couldn't help but notice just how well he was leaping against two legitimately beastly athletes in Holmes and Hickey, he was out highpointing them often on centre bounces. His work around the ground and his tackling were phenomenal. He did blow up late in the game and did have a bit of cramp but he earned it and did look noticeably more mobile than last year. I couldn't help but think of Mumford when watching him, that scary vibe where he plays so angry that I half expect him to get suspended for destroying a soul at some point, I still don't trust him not to hurt himself throwing his body around like that and yet I still am drawn to the idea of picking him. Genuinely have doubts about picking Martin over Gawn in SC... for the first time!

Salem - For anyone looking for another dodgy midprice option down back, Salem is your man. Honestly, though, he's legitimately an option, taking the vast majority of kick ins, the main switching target, the main handball target, just abundantly clear they want the ball in his hands, was actually uncharacteristically poor by foot in this game, still had an 85:99 ratio. I see no reason he can't put up premium numbers. So yeah, I'm kind of glad I'm trying so hard to avoid these types of picks.

Vince - Was playing off a HBF for pretty much the entire game that I could tell, took a few kick ins (basically when Salem wasn't around) and just looked good all around. Might become an option in LOL if he gets the position change, otherwise don't think he is.

Bugg - Also looked really solid, on the wing all game from what I could tell and found and used the ball well. I do wonder where he fits in when the likes of Brayshaw and Lumumba come back in just as far as midfield roles, but liked what I saw. Yes, another dirty midprice back option.

Kennedy - Looked really good, playing a genuine HFF role, think this game was actually about spot on for what he should do in most games. Don't think he has keeper potential but is a very, very good SC rookie option, I wasn't really wanting to structure up with just 3 forward premiums but I'm actually starting to feel like 2 might be a play given the rookies and Wells, in SC you want all of Kennedy, Kerridge and Wells playing, it's kind of limiting but the mid premiums are better options than forwards, imo, so you're unlikely to start them in the mids.

Kent - So important to Melbourne, legitimate good player, lock him in for LOL and he could at least be considered in DT and SC. Like Kennedy I don't see any reason he can't do this regularly, was playing a HFF role, his pressure work is outstanding. Just needs to stay on the park which has admittedly been a major issue for him. Looks as fit as he ever has though.

Garlett - Was terrific, not fantasy relevant so wont go any further but he played really well and if he can play even close to that this season, again, Melbourne will be a much better side.

McDonald - His first half was phenomenal, did fade a bit as Melbourne got on top a bit more in the game, my conclusion though was that he is absolutely a SC starting pick option. I see no good reason he can't push towards 100 this year in SC. He is not DT relevant though, such is the scoring difference between the two formats for KPD. His biggest risk for mine is that he would be the most unique of the top 5 guys by a mile so if it did fail, well you'd burn alone.

Jetta - Great little player, will probably play at close to an AA level again this year as a back pocket and will probably get zero attention for it. Is probably the best story of Roos' at Melbourne.

Harmes - Surprised how low he scored, thought he was everywhere, I guess the 4 points kind of hurt. FWD status probably kills as an option for me, maybe in LOL where the weird prices make it worth while. Seemed to be more off a HBF/Wing to me. Like him though.

Wagner - Liked his game, was clearly a step off the pace in the first half but settled as the game went on, you can tell that his kicking is very good to elite even if he missed a few this game, has good size, moves well. Played a nice game on a HBF/BP as well, I'd say he's probably just out of the side but I also think he has a lot of potential that perhaps a few other guys don't have, looked like Matt Jones was ahead of him for the role before going off hurt though. Is another one who looks like he'd be worth starting if he scrapes into that round 1 side.

Hogan - Had a mare of a game, loved that he was getting really annoyed at himself for simple mistakes but he just looked out of the game all day and just a really uncharacteristic game. Have to mention his set shots... it's like he's taken the absolute worst parts of all the worst set shots and tried to put it in one... He's got the Kennedy sewing machine, the Fevola moungrel grip, he's holding it over the wrong foot and he's waving it all over the shop in his approach, I just have no idea how any coach who has ever watched football didn't walk up and pimp slap him the first time he tried it at training, it's completely unfathomable for a guy who is such a nice kick to have come up with that option, it looked like when Shaq hit absolute rock bottom with his FT shooting and was basically just trying to hit the rim!

Frost - Very important player for the Demons, like how he presents and works, is relevant in LOL, probably not in the other formats though he could actually be a decent cash cow on the ruck bench if Grimley didn't play, would expect he kicks 4 in a game at some point and scores a nice 90 or gets forced back in a game where he has genuine scoring history but probably better 200k rookie options that wont play.

O. McDonald - I thought he played really well, Dunn probably pushes him out of the side but I think it's closer than I did before this game and that there could be room for both given both Dunn and Garland can play tall or small. He is yet another SC KPD option if he did make the side. Probably wont make it but worth watching as a downgrade option also.

St Kilda

Steven - Looked great, saw no reason to suggest last year was a fluke, if anything I watched and felt he could actually manage to get back to being as good in SC as DT, last year that was the real anomaly was that he stopped having a positive SC ratio, as such I actually think he is a sneaky SC option. DT he is absolutely legit and could do it again.

Montagna - He is what we thought he was. Doesn't looked to have missed a beat at all and was covering ground very well. Absolutely an option in all formats.

Newnes - Should improve again this year I imagine but is a MID only and thus not relevant this year. Solid player.

Billings - Love him as a player, his role has ruled him out of my sides, playing a HFF type role and working up and back nicely but still anchored a bit close to goal. I think best case you're looking at a Wingard or Zorko but realistically there is a lot of the Boomer, Edwards, Rioli, Smith and others playing similar roles who aren't premiums and I'd say he's probably more of a chance of being in that latter group given the Saints likely ladder position. His absolute best case might be a Gray a couple of years ago where a couple of injuries push him into the guts and he goes ballistic but that's something you can trade into when it happens. Stud of a player but just a little too much risk for me with the other options.

Roberton - Scored better than I expected in DT, SC was surprisingly bad. Can probably match last year based on role.

Gilbert - Really involved role, not worth the risk for me!

Lonie - Is like the poor mans Billings in the best possible way. Really nice little player, don't think he can push high enough this year.

Armitage - Chilled game for him, looks fit.

Ross - Good little draft option, very involved. He lacks speed but is hard as nails.

Savage - Same as the Salem description really, he's absolutely a SC option for those hunting 400k mistakes that wogi made last year... Seriously though, he can flat out play and score in that format, don't see any reason he can't average 90+ with his style and skills. Started and finished well last year with a whole bunch of crap in the middle that involved concussions, corkies and vests. Again, I'm kind of glad I've decided to not go down that path!

Fisher - Should be the same as last year.

Geary - Too expensive to be relevant this year.

Hickey - Solid outing but well beaten. Another that's probably not relevant.

Weller/Dunstan - Two more guys who are important to the Saints but I'd be genuinely surprised if they were fantasy relevant.

Gresham - Love the look of this kid, little nugget that looks very AFL ready, only played the 2nd half for 52/47 (the SC particularly impressive given the game was mostly over). Uses it pretty well, moves well and goes hard. Would think he's a real shot at round 1 and a real shot at being worth starting if he did play.

Webster - Must not do it. Did nothing to demand any consideration.

Riewoldt - Looked good until he limped off with a calf issue. Think that probably has to scare away anyone that was thinking about grabbing him but the role looked great still.

Holmes - Rucked really well but didn't do much else which will remain his issue.

Left a few guys I don't think are fantasy relevant out as usual but if you want to know my thoughts on them fire away.
    The Truck is driving the Fish Shack in 2018... Christian Petracca is my boy!

2. Likes Devo, Bunga, dylan123 liked this post
    Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    590 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Watched the second half of that match, didn't think Gawn was looking all that great (had some nice handballs though) but still managed a decent enough score so I think I'll back him in.

Didn't like what I saw of Riewoldt, it was his first hitout for the year to be fair but I've crossed him off my list, especially after seeing him ice his calf to finish off the game - an injury he had issues with last year.

Also thought Roberton had a very skinhead look about him

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do we know why Gresham only played the 2nd half? Looks a great option scoring wise if he can play regularly however' my concern is that only playing the 2nd half may indicate he's just outside the 22. He's one I'm really hoping plays Round 1 as he'd be a welcome addition (well retention) on my bench who can even possibly move on field and score well if required.

@Wogitalia I'd also love to hear your thoughts re Hewett and Newman leading into Round 1 and also beyond (with McVeigh & McGlynn injured early). I haven't been able to catch a Swans match with these guys involved so keen to hear thoughts on likelihood on them as rookie options.

Edit: Nevermind on Newman, just noticed your post in the rookies thread
    Last edited by Watson_Gun; 16th March 2016 at 10:28 AM.
    2010 Footytips AFL Fantasy Winner
    2010/11 ABC Ashes Fantasy Cricket Runner-Up
    2010/11 Foxsports Big Bash Cricket Fantasy Weekly Winner
    2011 tipthenrl.com NRL Tipping Winner
    2011 AFL Dreamteam Prospectus Group and AFL Membership Group Winner

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    899 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Quote Originally Posted by Watson_Gun View Post
    Do we know why Gresham only played the 2nd half? Looks a great option scoring wise if he can play regularly however' my concern is that only playing the 2nd half may indicate he's just outside the 22. He's one I'm really hoping plays Round 1 as he'd be a welcome addition (well retention) on my bench who can even possibly move on field and score well if required.

@Wogitalia I'd also love to hear your thoughts re Hewett and Newman leading into Round 1 and also beyond (with McVeigh & McGlynn injured early). I haven't been able to catch a Swans match with these guys involved so keen to hear thoughts on likelihood on them as rookie options.

Edit: Nevermind on Newman, just noticed your post in the rookies thread
    I think they've done the most to put their hands up for the two spots that are open. Jones/Reid injuries could open it further and make room for Paps as well. We could go straight for Paps instead of Hewett as he is a more pure small forward also.

Think they get a chance but will have to displace the likes of Lloyd (Horse's lovechild), Cunningham, Towers and Jones to hold the spots when McVeigh and McGlynn return. How quick that is could be round 2 or could be a while, probably depends how we cope without them and whether we need to rush either of them.
    The Truck is driving the Fish Shack in 2018... Christian Petracca is my boy!