ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    659 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Twitter Poster

Re: 2015 Trades/Free Agency

3 year initial draftee contracts (does not apply to recycled players who need not be drafted - they become DFAs indefinitely until being relisted)

Expanded single list + salary cap (only expanded to cater for extra players being retained and rookie contracts becoming senior contracts)

No set wages in the third year if an extended contract has been negotiated, otherwise it's just the same as the current initial contract

Free agency after 5 years at a club (no compensation, no restricted FA)

Contracted players may be traded to any club their club chooses, and their only veto power is to say "I want to stay"

Uncontracted non-FAs must nominate 2 clubs and have no choice over which one their club chooses.
    Never bet against Tom Rockliff

3. Likes Bonnie Doon Thirds liked this post
    FFC Agent of Chaos Big Sledge #32's Avatar
    Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    561 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

All I want is for clubs to be able to trade players without a player's permission.

It ends the ransom and inequality that we have instantly. I'd give full free agency for it.

I'd also like a variation of the 'franchise tag' to be allowed by a club once every 3 or so years.
    Baltimore Ravens Superbowl XLVII Champions
    Quote Originally Posted by Narkee View Post
    SC only

#AgentOfChaos

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    659 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sledge #32 View Post
    All I want is for clubs to be able to trade players without a player's permission.

It ends the ransom and inequality that we have instantly. I'd give full free agency for it.

I'd also like a variation of the 'franchise tag' to be allowed by a club once every 3 or so years.
    My biggest issue with that is the word "franchise", but it's a good system.

3 year initial contracts would be a win for the AFLPA (more guaranteed years for draftees), a win for clubs who get an extra year with guys to convince them to stay etc., and an incentive to re-sign early with the ability to move off standard contract wages in the third year.

FFC Agent of Chaos Big Sledge #32's Avatar
    Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    561 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ben the Gooner View Post
    My biggest issue with that is the word "franchise", but it's a good system.

3 year initial contracts would be a win for the AFLPA (more guaranteed years for draftees), a win for clubs who get an extra year with guys to convince them to stay etc., and an incentive to re-sign early with the ability to move off standard contract wages in the third year.
    In the NFL they call it Franchise Tagging. You basically get to hold a player for one more year to try and sort out a better deal. Their wage becomes the average of the top 5 players in their respective position.

So an Adelaide could franchise tag Dangerfield and it would make sense, but you wouldn't do it for a Frawley or Scott Selwood who are good but not great.
    Baltimore Ravens Superbowl XLVII Champions
    Quote Originally Posted by Narkee View Post
    SC only

#AgentOfChaos

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    659 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sledge #32 View Post
    In the NFL they call it Franchise Tagging. You basically get to hold a player for one more year to try and sort out a better deal. Their wage becomes the average of the top 5 players in their respective position.

So an Adelaide could franchise tag Dangerfield and it would make sense, but you wouldn't do it for a Frawley or Scott Selwood who are good but not great.
    Yeah, don't have any problems with the system, I just resent calling clubs "franchises". Marquee players, fine.

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    869 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

I don't actually have any problem with players wanting to go to certain clubs but there needs to be a better quality in the system to end this demand system that is currently going on.

Personally I'd make the following changes...

1. Clubs can trade players to whomever they want while under contract, they essentially are trading the contract. This makes trading a lot easier for the clubs and removes a bit of the imbalance.

2. All players are free agents if out of contract. I like having a restricted system on guys with 3 years or less and I'd copy the NFL system. You tender an offer that sets their value and if other clubs sign them then they pay the compensation set by the tender offer, this is to assist clubs in keeping their young guys or at least to reward them if they do lose a guy they just put a couple of years and a draft pick into. I'd suggest that you had a tender that was in the 550k range that was a first rounder (again it's the club signing so it's kind of a trade), something around 400k which could be a 2nd round pick and and something in the 250k range that would be a 3rd. If you don't tender, they become a UFA straight away.

3. Franchise tag (call it whatever) - I'd have a requirement the player must have finished in the top 5 in your best and fairest over the past 3 seasons, have been an All Australian or a top 5 Brownlow finish (or similar qualifications) to be eligible for the tag in the first place and I'd have it set so that they get the average of the 5 highest paid players at your club (we don't have the clearly defined positions of the NFL). I'd also have it set so it can't be used on the same player in consecutive years. The reward for a Franchise player would need to be set but I'd argue that consecutive 1st round picks would probably make sense (it's supposed to be a major disincentive for other clubs to sign them) which would see a guy like Danger or Treloar signed anyway but almost certainly wouldn't result in a guy like say Nick Smith (who meets the criteria just as an example) being signed away. The club only gets one franchise tag a season as well so if say Adelaide had it this year and hadn't resigned Sloane and Walker they couldn't tag both of them and Danger, they'd have to pick one.

4. All other players would be UFA if out of contract. No compensations, no trading, the players have full control of their destiny in this regard and it's up to clubs to avoid having players reach this stage if they want to keep them or to compete on an open market if they don't.

5. 1st round picks would be on set 3 year contracts with negotiable options (either player or team) for years 4 or 5 if they wanted. Basically the player can decide whether to just commit to 3 years and then be free or go for a bit more security. All other draft picks would be negotiable and up to the players, if a 2nd round pick wants to take on RFA after one year, go for it. Reality is most probably sign 3 year contracts due to the RFA being undesirable.

6. Trade period extends from a week after the grand final to a week before the NAB Cup begins. There is no good reason to have it be a 2 week cluster**** and for clubs to no be able to make trades for draftees that they really wanted and this would allow clubs to adapt for preseason injuries better. Also allows them the time to just get deals done instead of having the shitstorm it currently is where everyone is waiting for one trade before the other 20 can happen. Let's be honest, there isn't anything really happening in this period anyway and draft night trades make the whole draft so much better as an added bonus.

7. Future draft picks can be up to 2 years with the caveat that a team must hold a 1st round pick in at least 1 of every 2 consecutive years (essentially you can't trade all 3 years worth).

That's about all off the top of my head. Basically players get FA and the clubs get better control with disgruntled employees as a trade off. FA should be the main mechanism for experienced players to relocate instead of trading.
    The Truck is driving the Fish Shack in 2018... Christian Petracca is my boy!

9. Likes Devo liked this post
    Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    659 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

Carlton (won a final in 2013) have applied for a priority pick.

The system is broken.

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    474 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Twitter Poster - A great twitter poster on behalf of FFC and TFP

The system is broken.
    We should just bottom out next year and grab ourselves one.
    hoff.

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    869 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

The system is broken.
    The whole PP thing has always been an awful system. You're actively rewarding teams for being awful... That said... it probably sums up how bad you are as a club that you even ask for them.
    The Truck is driving the Fish Shack in 2018... Christian Petracca is my boy!

Team
    WESTERN BULLDOGS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    326 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/news/201...rthy-statement

The manager of Cameron McCarthy, Colin Young, has today formally enquired about a trade.

The GIANTS have categorically rejected this request.

McCarthy, 20, kicked 35 goals in 20 games for the GIANTS this season and is contracted until the end of 2017.
    Quoted is full article. Wonder if he'll accept the request rejection or if that is just the standard opening.

FFC Football Operations Manager Nothing's Avatar
    Team
    FREMANTLE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    327 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Opinions seems that this is just the return salvo by GWS. Apparently it has been in the making since he was dropped (maybe the reason he was dropped).

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    659 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

Need to put up the facade that they're not a selling club. Just because they can afford to lose Treloar and McCarthy doesn't mean they're not losing a hell of a lot.

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    289 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wogitalia View Post
    I don't actually have any problem with players wanting to go to certain clubs but there needs to be a better quality in the system to end this demand system that is currently going on.

Personally I'd make the following changes...

1. Clubs can trade players to whomever they want while under contract, they essentially are trading the contract. This makes trading a lot easier for the clubs and removes a bit of the imbalance.
    I wouldn't allow this in the first 2 years in the league. The players don't earn that much to start with, and there should be stability. but otherwise, damn straight. completely agree.

2. All players are free agents if out of contract. I like having a restricted system on guys with 3 years or less and I'd copy the NFL system. You tender an offer that sets their value and if other clubs sign them then they pay the compensation set by the tender offer, this is to assist clubs in keeping their young guys or at least to reward them if they do lose a guy they just put a couple of years and a draft pick into. I'd suggest that you had a tender that was in the 550k range that was a first rounder (again it's the club signing so it's kind of a trade), something around 400k which could be a 2nd round pick and and something in the 250k range that would be a 3rd. If you don't tender, they become a UFA straight away.
    as I say I'd just make teams hold them for the first couple of years. but otherwise out of contract should mean out of contract.

3. Franchise tag (call it whatever) - I'd have a requirement the player must have finished in the top 5 in your best and fairest over the past 3 seasons, have been an All Australian or a top 5 Brownlow finish (or similar qualifications) to be eligible for the tag in the first place and I'd have it set so that they get the average of the 5 highest paid players at your club (we don't have the clearly defined positions of the NFL). I'd also have it set so it can't be used on the same player in consecutive years. The reward for a Franchise player would need to be set but I'd argue that consecutive 1st round picks would probably make sense (it's supposed to be a major disincentive for other clubs to sign them) which would see a guy like Danger or Treloar signed anyway but almost certainly wouldn't result in a guy like say Nick Smith (who meets the criteria just as an example) being signed away. The club only gets one franchise tag a season as well so if say Adelaide had it this year and hadn't resigned Sloane and Walker they couldn't tag both of them and Danger, they'd have to pick one.
    don't really think this is necessary, but I wouldn't argue too hard against it.

4. All other players would be UFA if out of contract. No compensations, no trading, the players have full control of their destiny in this regard and it's up to clubs to avoid having players reach this stage if they want to keep them or to compete on an open market if they don't.
    totally agree

5. 1st round picks would be on set 3 year contracts with negotiable options (either player or team) for years 4 or 5 if they wanted. Basically the player can decide whether to just commit to 3 years and then be free or go for a bit more security. All other draft picks would be negotiable and up to the players, if a 2nd round pick wants to take on RFA after one year, go for it. Reality is most probably sign 3 year contracts due to the RFA being undesirable.
    nah. just 3 year contracts first up. no trading in years 1 & 2.

6. Trade period extends from a week after the grand final to a week before the NAB Cup begins. There is no good reason to have it be a 2 week cluster**** and for clubs to no be able to make trades for draftees that they really wanted and this would allow clubs to adapt for preseason injuries better. Also allows them the time to just get deals done instead of having the shitstorm it currently is where everyone is waiting for one trade before the other 20 can happen. Let's be honest, there isn't anything really happening in this period anyway and draft night trades make the whole draft so much better as an added bonus.
    probably makes sense

7. Future draft picks can be up to 2 years with the caveat that a team must hold a 1st round pick in at least 1 of every 2 consecutive years (essentially you can't trade all 3 years worth).
    yup

I this is a very good set of proposals and would be better than what we currently have.
    Last edited by Crow-mo; 12th September 2015 at 01:50 AM.
    TEX WALKER. that is all.

Team
    WESTERN BULLDOGS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    326 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

2015 AFL Trade and FA thread

Don't usually have this thread started so early but there are a number of players that have already requested trades or have been told they will be traded.

Trade list:

Lachie Henderson
    Jake Carlisle
    Charlie Dixon
    Harley Bennell

Higher profile Delisted FA:
    Jed Adcock
    Steve Johnson
    James Kelly
    Mathew Stokes

Will try and update OP with more names as they come in.

18. Likes Crows88 liked this post