MELBOURNE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    465 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: 2015 Trades/Free Agency

Quote Originally Posted by Wogitalia View Post
    Howe isn't a FA so whether you let him go is basically whether the deal received is worth it. Howe is one of those guys I'd ask for a 1st for and if someone pays it I'm happy to let him work. Simple fact is that he is a very good mid sized forward and defender and I think in a good side that would just stand out further. Howe as a player isn't far off of a Breust or Birchall type as a forward or defender, that's a damn good player imo and he's one of the few Melbourne players where as a coach I'd feel very confident in him winning his matchup at either end (Bob Murphy is probably a better pure comparison in ability to play both ends). If I can get a pick in the 10-15 for him, I think I let him go though, but I don't think Melbourne are that far away now and I think they need to start thinking about holding onto the guys who are best 22 at any club even if they have to pay a bit extra on the first few.

Doesn't hurt he is a guy that is genuinely worth going to watch. Puts bums in the seats probably better than anyone!
    His ability to mark the footy and his marketability would transfer well to another team, and he's improved defensively as he's gone along. His main issues are decision making, consistency and at times the quality of his disposal, which means that he is nowhere near the Breust / Birchall / Murphy level, imo. I agree though that if you can get a first for him, then you take it.
    #teamANB

FFC Senior Assistant Coach Blues_FC's Avatar
    Team
    CARLTON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just hope Kreuzer stays. The only reason he isn't one of the best rucks in the comp is his terrible run with injuries. When fit and firing, he is an amazing player.

And I really don't want to be running with a Wood/Warnock ruck duo.
    [Sam Gray - my boy for 2016]

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    578 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blues_FC View Post
    I just hope Kreuzer stays. The only reason he isn't one of the best rucks in the comp is his terrible run with injuries. When fit and firing, he is an amazing player.

Yeah that's a pretty dull combo.

If Carlton got #2 you'd have to take it though, give up your second round pick ~20 and try ship that to Port for Lobbe. Basically give up Kreuzer and 20 for Lobbe and 2 (give Lobbe similar money to whatever Kreuzer was) and I think you come out very well.

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    659 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Twitter Poster

Which is why the free agency compensation thing is a complete nonsense, especially for the big clubs. Carlton will always be able to attract players, so being able to lose a FA in down years like this is essentially a license to print draft picks.
    Never bet against Tom Rockliff

5. Likes Crow-mo liked this post
    Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    710 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Would be very very surprised if 450k a year got anywhere near band 1.

Also it's not just about how much per year, it's about contract length, which may mean that for someone with Kreuzer's injury history a lot of clubs are going to be reluctant to give him more than three years.
    Correct me if I am wrong but so far the band 1 compo players, Goddard, Buddy and Frawley all received 4 year + deals.
    Just from a quick google Frawley on 4 years at ~2.2m is the lowest total, so that's 550k a year.

I suspect Kreuze only gets a 3 year deal (and Berger I really doubt would get more than 3 either), meaning he might need to be paid 600-650k per year to trigger band 1.

7. Likes Devo liked this post
    Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    659 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Twitter Poster

Don't forget the AFL's M.O. though pvc. That's the primary consideration in compensation.

You didn't tank, but we're going to punish you as if you did.
    You didn't actually exceed the salary cap, but we're going to punish you as if you did and hand a vital player to one of our important markets.
    You didn't actually take banned drugs, but we're going to punish you as if you did.
    You don't deserve a priority pick, but we'll give you pick 3 for a good ordinary player.
    Never bet against Tom Rockliff

Team
    CARLTON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    471 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blues_FC View Post

Quote Originally Posted by dylan123 View Post
    Yeah that's a pretty dull combo.

If Carlton got #2 you'd have to take it though, give up your second round pick ~20 and try ship that to Port for Lobbe. Basically give up Kreuzer and 20 for Lobbe and 2 (give Lobbe similar money to whatever Kreuzer was) and I think you come out very well.
    Agreed Blues, but I am sure we will fill the gap if Kreuzer goes with someone as dylan mentioned. Just gotta look at the clubs with a dominant ruck, and there's someone who could be great waiting in the wings (Currie... ok I ran out of people after Currie )
    AFL Twitter --------------------------- This post is SC related--------------------------Movie Twitter

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    869 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Quote Originally Posted by Athomas View Post
    Agreed Blues, but I am sure we will fill the gap if Kreuzer goes with someone as dylan mentioned. Just gotta look at the clubs with a dominant ruck, and there's someone who could be great waiting in the wings (Currie... ok I ran out of people after Currie )
    I really want Sydney to go after Downie at GWS, looks the goods to me. They also have Phillips (not as sold) and Lobb (not as sold as a ruckman) in their depth.

You also have Zac Smith who has shown similar to Kreuzer with the flashes that get derailed by injury. Lobbe makes a lot of sense. Lycett looks a decent ruckman who isn't getting a chance either. Leuey is another similar to Kreuzer really. Think for pick 2, Carlton are better letting him walk even if you can't replace him though, such is the overs that it presents.
    The Truck is driving the Fish Shack in 2018... Christian Petracca is my boy!

11. Likes Athomas liked this post
    FFC Assistant Coach TIGERLICIOUS's Avatar
    Team
    RICHMOND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2015 Trades/Free Agency

Measuring AA selections isn't fair. Defenders make up 6 spots compared to a ruckmans 1 or 2 spots max.
    The way the FA system is setup is wrong clearly, but the weaker teams need some propping up so it's a fine line.
    Last edited by TIGERLICIOUS; 8th September 2015 at 03:32 AM.

Team
    MELBOURNE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    465 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TIGERLICIOUS View Post
    Measuring AA selections isn't fair. Defenders make up 6 spots compared to a ruckmans 1 or 2 spots max.
    The way the FA system is setup is wrong clearly, but the weaker teams need some propping up so it's a fine line.
    It's all relative though. I'd say the number of AA spots for key defenders and ruck is roughly proportional to how many key defenders and ruckmen there are in AFL teams and across the competition as a whole. Of those 6 AA defender slots, 2 or 3 at most are given to key defenders, so I'm not sure your argument holds up. Theoretically, a best 22 key back has an equal opportunity to make the AA Team as a first choice ruckman. It then comes down to talent, individual performance, fitness, team success, etc.
    #teamANB

14. Likes dylan123 liked this post
    Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    289 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

the answer is more free agency not less. Wogi have debated this many times, and on this we're agreed. I think!

with not many FA's the gravitational pull of the big clubs is too much. but they can't take them all. lower the qualification criteria, take away compensation and throw all the marbles up in the air.

that will literally fix it.
    TEX WALKER. that is all.

16. Likes Devo liked this post
    Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    578 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Seems to be the solution to most things, only thing it might hurt is the development of players if they're likely to be poached - might see clubs opt to go for more mature aged guys that are ready to play so your raw KP type guys struggle as a result.

Outside of that, it seems like the best solution.

Team
    MELBOURNE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    465 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Crow-mo View Post
    the answer is more free agency not less. Wogi have debated this many times, and on this we're agreed. I think!

with not many FA's the gravitational pull of the big clubs is too much. but they can't take them all. lower the qualification criteria, take away compensation and throw all the marbles up in the air.

that will literally fix it.
    Agree. The sooner we can get to that point the better.
    #teamANB

FFC Senior Assistant Coach Bonnie Doon Thirds's Avatar
    Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My thoughts on this are as follows.

- Scrap the compensation pick for FA.
    - Clubs should never let a player become a FA. The year before they become a FA the club should either get them signed up or trade them.
    - Players who are not a FA whether they are contracted or not that ask to be traded should have to nominate TWO clubs that they are happy to go to. This ensures the club that is losing a player gets fair market value.

The AFLPA would not like this at all but clubs are getting ruined with the current system. Jarred Polec nominating only Port a couple of years back annoyed me, if he wanted to go back to SA it should have been to either club. That would create a bit of a bidding war ensuring Brisbane are compensated. Treloar is doing it this year. It's rubbish.
    __________________________________________________ _________________

Going early on Aaron Francis - My boy for 2017.

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    578 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

You'd need clubs to have the power to trade players against their will or they could refuse the trade the year before then just walk out the following year for no return.