Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    899 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Re: Mike Sheahan's Teams of the Decade

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sledge #32 View Post
    I wouldn't have him in the side but I'd take him over all of the bolded. Richo for his output in the 90s and I left Sumich unbolded because I can't recall ever seeing him play.
    Would depend on what you wanted, I was a massive Modra fan (I could easily have been an Adelaide fan if McLeod had come along a couple of years earlier because Modra was my 2nd favourite player behind Kelly when I was picking a team!) and I'd take him ahead of most of those guys as well. It's a tough call though, I think he is comfortably behind Lockett, Ablett and Dunstall as a FF, he was probably the guy who fit snugly between that first group "the legends" and the "forgotten greats" behind them in Sumich, Rocca and Longmire (probably because he was the first great Crow and gets remembered more fondly than because he was actually significantly better than those guys though).

The rest of the group were more CHF than FF and I'd personally be taking Richo, Grant and Kernahan as players (Loewe is a genuine coinflip, I'd take Modra at FF and Loewe at CHF but have no idea on just key forward if you asked!). Not by much and more on that they didn't have the same injuries that cost a great deal of the career as Modra and thus were able to showcase more (in fairness I only really remember aging Kernahan as he tailed off and he was still great, kind of like if you started watching Riewoldt last year for example, you could just tell he'd lost a step but was still great).

Truly great era for forwards though, it really makes you wonder if the game has changed so much that those types no longer can produce like they did or impact games as much or if the current guys just aren't nearly as good. Obviously the numbers are deflated and all that with the modern styles but I only really fear about 3 players nowadays (Buddy and Roughy for sure) in their ability to just not lose a contest and destroy their opponent like I did about Modra or even Sav Rocca, nevermind Carey, Lockett or Ablett! I like to think it's mostly the game changing where they're not able to anymore but I also think in a lot of ways defenders get away with far more nowadays as well.

That defender thing seems funny to write as well but if you think about it I'd say it's pretty damn true. For all the focus on the arm chop rule hurting defenders we ignore that they're allowed to get away with far more scragging and holding than ever (a pet hate of mine that I should have mentioned more in the state of the game, I respect guys like Rance and Talia for how they do it and push the rules but I'd rather they were forced to beat their man in a purer contest such as enforcing the contact beyond 5 metres rule when a defender attempts to engage a forward and force it instead to be a marking contest where both players get to jump at the ball), the blocking in contests rules favours defenders massively by not allowing teammates to protect the best placed forward, the pushing in contests makes playing from behind (something Lockett and Ablett were masters at) a pretty poor tactic and the focus on punishing the stronger man is also a big detriment to forwards who generally will have the kick to their advantage and thus are in the position of strength.
    The Truck is driving the Fish Shack in 2018... Christian Petracca is my boy!

2. Likes Big Sledge #32 liked this post
    Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    305 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

sorry, off to get my eyes tested.

couldn't see McLeod in there.
    TEX WALKER. that is all.

FFC Agent of Chaos Big Sledge #32's Avatar
    Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    579 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Crow-mo View Post
    sorry, off to get my eyes tested.

couldn't see McLeod in there.
    He made his team of the 90s.

He should be in both though.
    Baltimore Ravens Superbowl XLVII Champions
    Quote Originally Posted by Narkee View Post
    SC only

#AgentOfChaos

FFC Senior Assistant Coach hendo8888's Avatar
    Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Enright and McLeod were a bit or a wtf moment for me. Both of them kind of straddle each end of the decade, so probably miss out because their best work was done in other decades. Can't really complain much with the rest.

Be interesting to see who makes the team from this decade (say 2006-2015).
    There's quite a few that you lock in straight away. Ablett, Enright, Pendlebury, Franklin, Hodge, Judd, Brown, Goodes, Selwood, Glass, Riewoldt, Cox, Sandilands, Scarlett, Pavlich (4 key forwards and 2 rucks, but hard to leave any out).
    Then you've got your Goddard, Hayes, Swan, Taylor, Mitchell, Johnson, Rioli group that would be real unlucky to miss. Then the younger group that will probably make the 10s team like Dangerfield, Fyfe, Roughead and Priddis.
    (Roughead isn't young, but he fits in a lot easier once Brown and Pavlich head towards the end of their career).
    Last edited by hendo8888; 29th July 2015 at 08:52 PM.
    This post was more than likely SC based.
    If in doubt, assume it was.

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    579 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

McLeod was one of the best players in the comp for at least a third of the decade and then he was the best player in his new position for the last 6 years of that decade. He was still playing quality football in his retirement year as it was injury that stopped him.

His omission on the 00s list is ridiculous. I think Lappin is an excellent player but he wasn't a better midfielder or hbf than McLeod
    SC only

#AgentOfChaos

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    899 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Quote Originally Posted by hendo8888 View Post
    Enright and McLeod were a bit or a wtf moment for me. Both of them kind of straddle each end of the decade, so probably miss out because their best work was done in other decades. Can't really complain much with the rest.

Be interesting to see who makes the team from this decade (say 2006-2015).
    There's quite a few that you lock in straight away. Ablett, Enright, Pendlebury, Franklin, Hodge, Judd, Brown, Goodes, Selwood, Glass, Riewoldt, Cox, Sandilands, Scarlett, Pavlich (4 key forwards and 2 rucks, but hard to leave any out).
    Then you've got your Goddard, Hayes, Swan, Taylor, Mitchell, Johnson, Rioli group that would be real unlucky to miss. Then the younger group that will probably make the 10s team like Dangerfield, Fyfe, Roughead and Priddis.
    (Roughead isn't young, but he fits in a lot easier once Brown and Pavlich head towards the end of their career).
    This one I don't think is as difficult as the other, for whatever reason there is a nice group of overlap guys...

Personally I'd go something like:

BP - Enright - Lock
    FB - Glass - Taking him over Scarlett because he was all but the last year of the decade, but you couldn't go wrong with either or even McPharlin here.
    BP - Birchall - This is a tough spot but he has been there the whole decade and been a remarkably consistent player. Heath Shaw is probably the other option here but I think Birchall has been more consistent.
    HBF - Hodge - Easy choice for mine, played his best football in this role.
    CHB - Ted Richards - Tough choice, could easily go Glass/McPharlin/Scarlett trio as the double KP guys but I went with the guy who played CHB primarily instead of FB primarily. Taylor and Fisher the other CHB guys I considered but not as strongly.
    HBF - Goddard - Another who played his best football floating across half back.
    W - Bartel - A very consistent decade for him, played basically every position and has been a kind of winger the whole time but really the modern day winger is an extra midfielder most of the time.
    C - Ablett Jr - Easy choice.
    W - Montagna - Just about the only modern wingman left so I've given him the spot for that reason alone.
    HFF - Steve Johnson - Has been a great HFF for the decade in question. Team success certainly hasn't hurt him here.
    CHF - Riewoldt - Easy choice for mine, as good as Brown was the last 5 years have been a shadow and I just don't think he was as good as Riewoldt even prime vs prime.
    HFF - Brent Harvey - Has been there the whole decade playing this role. Probably a factor that most HFF graduate to midfielders whereas he has always played that role. ROK probably next in line but he played more midfield, where he doesn't make it imo, for most of the period. Didak missed too much of the time.
    FP - Roughead - I think he is currently the best KPF in the game, selfless team player whose pressure work is outstanding and can also play as a small forward, midfielder or ruck. Basically the ultimate 3rd tall in a team like this. He has kicked more goals than Brown in that period and realistically Brown hasn't been great for about 5 years and Pav has been on the decline for about 3 years now. Pav has him slightly on goals though. You can't go wrong with any of them though.
    FF - Franklin - Easy choice here, not even a debate imo.
    FP - Paul Chapman - This one was seriously tough, there really hasn't been a standout small forward, I thought of Betts but Chapman kicked just as many goals in the decade while being a far more involved overall player. Considered Milne also but he again kicked the same goals as Chapman while not being as good an overall player. I'm sure I'm missing someone here!
    R - Dean Cox - It just isn't close, imo.
    RR - Scott Pendlebury - Easy choice again for mine.
    Rov - Dane Swan - Again, I think it's actually pretty easy to pick him.

Int - Joel Selwood - Has been a star since day dot.
    Int - Sam Mitchell - Another easy choice, imo.
    Int - Chris Judd - This is a real tough one actually. You lose 3 of his 4 best seasons on the cutoff, imo, and I think this is a case of the accolades being greater than the player for that period, I mean Murphy has been better than him for about 6 years now so it feels pretty weird to pick Judd over Murphy even (and there are more than a few other names that I think are ahead of Murphy) but ultimately this is a "greatest" team and you can't argue with the accolades.
    Int - Goodes - Scrapes in here, almost getting the Judd treatment also to be fair but he was one of the games premier players for the first 3 or 4 years before becoming a very good key forward, last couple of years have been fumes though.

Nearest misses were probably Black, Hayes, Dal Santo, Cornes, Deledio, Priddis, Boyd and then the obvious KP guys who just missed out in McPharlin, Scarlett, Brown and Pavlich for mine. The hardest part is squeezing in all the midfielders really.

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    305 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sledge #32 View Post
    He made his team of the 90s.

He should be in both though.
    he was a much better player in the 2000's. Ayres took him to another level installing him permanently in the middle.
    2001 was his career year, and thats not a small thing
    TEX WALKER. that is all.

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    579 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Crow-mo View Post
    he was a much better player in the 2000's. Ayres took him to another level installing him permanently in the middle.
    2001 was his career year, and thats not a small thing
    I completely agree.
    SC only

#AgentOfChaos

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    674 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Twitter Poster

If Judd retired in 06 he probably makes the team Wogi. Starting on-baller for me.
    Never bet against Tom Rockliff

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    899 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Quote Originally Posted by Ben the Gooner View Post
    If Judd retired in 06 he probably makes the team Wogi. Starting on-baller for me.
    That's for hendo's revised 2006-2015 team so he absolutely wouldn't be if he retired in 2006. What you're saying basically supports my comment though, by starting in 2006 you lose almost his entire prime and by far his best football and restrict it to basically his last 2 years at the Eagles (one great, one injury hindered) and the Blues (couple of almost great and a couple of very good tailing off into just good).

For the 2000s he is a starting on baller, no doubt there and that's where i had him.

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    674 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Twitter Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Wogitalia View Post
    That's for hendo's revised 2006-2015 team so he absolutely wouldn't be if he retired in 2006. What you're saying basically supports my comment though, by starting in 2006 you lose almost his entire prime and by far his best football and restrict it to basically his last 2 years at the Eagles (one great, one injury hindered) and the Blues (couple of almost great and a couple of very good tailing off into just good).

For the 2000s he is a starting on baller, no doubt there and that's where i had him.
    Sorry, very, very sleep deprived
    Never bet against Tom Rockliff

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    579 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wogitalia View Post

He was pretty damn excellent for the first half of that 07 season. Pretty sure he was one of the shortest priced Brownlow faves until the OP ruined the second half of his season.
    SC only

#AgentOfChaos

FFC Senior Assistant Coach hendo8888's Avatar
    Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guess I forgot just how long McLeod was good for. He played the entire 2000s, so him missing out is a bit silly.
    His stats don't do him justice.
    This post was more than likely SC based.
    If in doubt, assume it was.

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    899 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Quote Originally Posted by hendo8888 View Post
    Guess I forgot just how long McLeod was good for. He played the entire 2000s, so him missing out is a bit silly.
    His stats don't do him justice.
    Yeah no McLeod was the thing that stood out more than anyone except maybe Goodes when I saw it.