SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    899 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Mike Sheahan's Teams of the Decade

Just saw an article on this and he has done his teams, not going to bother with the 90s on back as I only saw half the 90s, but if anyone wants to dig it up go for it (my 90s team would be very similar anyway).

His 00s team...

MIKE’S TEAM OF THE 2000s
    B: C. Johnson (Fitz/BL), M. Scarlett (Geel), D. Fletcher (Ess)
    HB: L. Hodge (Haw), J. Leppitsch (BL), N. Lappin (BL)
    C: N. Buckley (BB/Coll), M. Voss (BL), S. Black (BL)
    HF: N. Riewoldt (StK), J. Brown (BL), B. Harvey (NM)
    F: J. Akermanis (BL/WB), M. Lloyd (Ess), B. Johnson (WB)
    Foll: D. Cox (WC), C. Judd (WC/Carl), G. Ablett jnr (Geel/GC)
    Int: M. Pavlich (Fre), M. Ricciuto (Adel), S. Crawford (Haw), W. Tredrea (PA)
    Coach: L. Matthews
    Captain: M. Voss

I figured we have enough knowledgeable posters on here to probably put together a few different ones of our own, I haven't got that many disagreements to be fair but I do have a few, the omission of Goodes probably stood out a fair bit to me given his current media attention and all... a few others are missing that I'd have had in for sure... so here goes, with as much regard for position as possible and my thoughts...

BP - Corey Enright - I think he is a lock. He is probably the best small defender I've seen and he'd still be one of the best if he'd only been average either offensively or defensively but the fact is that he was quite possibly the best shutdown small defender and also in the top 2 or 3 as a rebounder. His B&Fs in flag winning years stand up, imo and really say all that needs to be said of his quality.

FB - M. Scarlett - I don't actually rate him as highly as probably the general consensus on him but I think ultimately the longevity of sustaining a spot in the best few wins this spot. I think Glass, Bolton, Bock, McPharlin, Michael and a few others were better at their peak but none held their peak nearly as long as Scarlett and probably none had his versatility as both a defender and rebounder either.

BP - Chris Johnson - He was elite, he was a great player at Fitzroy and even better in a great team. Like Enright you could count on him to shut his man out and also to provide elite rebound. It's a shame he is probably best remembered for his International Rules biff.

HBF - Andrew McLeod - The only guy I think has a real case against Enright as a small defender. He was probably the other side of the spectrum, I don't think I've seen a better rebounder than him in his ability to just change field position but he also was rarely beaten one on one. Enright was/is better in air and in support but one on one McLeod was elite.

CHB - Chad Cornes - This one was a stupidly hard choice for mine. Leppitsch, imo, was the best at the position but he only played half the decade and Cornes best couple of seasons were better. Cornes of course played a lot of other positions but his best football was at CHB. I also considered Glass, Lake and Bolton but ultimately went with Cornes.

HBF - Luke Hodge - I'm not sold on this pick and can't help but feel like I'm probably using a little too much 10's play in my decision because really he only had a half decade at it in the 00s where he was elite but god he was good, it's funny watching him now and thinking he isn't close to as good as he was for a couple of years then given how good he still is. Plenty of other options for this spot but Hodge played that 3rd man up role at the highest level I've seen in that he seemed to intercept everything and then instantly create offense. Joel Bowden, Fletcher, Wirra, Bolton and Fisher among many that I considered here and really depends on role. I've forsaken going with 3 genuine KP guys because both Hodge and Enright have manned that 3rd tall role more than well enough.

W - Nathan Buckley - He is kind of out of position here but whatever, he has to fit in and with his skills he'd still be a superstar on the wing. I still think he was the best pure kick I've seen on either foot as far as pure penetration and versatility, he could hit any kick and nail it.

C - Chris Judd - I don't rate him as highly as most... and I still think this was an easy choice. You can't really argue with his accolades or results or his ability to be a star as two completely different players.

W - Ben Cousins - Like Buckley, not his actual position but I'm using the 00s style of wingmen being additional midfielders more than space guys anyway. Just a superstar, not really any other way to put it. Whatever you think of the off field stuff his on field play was brilliant.

HFF - Jason Akermanis - He was a bit of a dick but for all his talk he still walked the walk. Having already written about Buckley, Akermanis was his equal when it came to creating shots at goal, he put him inside 50 and give him a metre to get the kick off and you were basically letting him kick a goal or at least it felt that way.

CHF - Nick Riewoldt - I pick this without a doubt in my mind, which given Tredrea and Brown both existed is a credit to him. Riewoldt redefined the expectation on a KPF to a point that no one has actually matched it still (or really looks like doing it). Really he is as special a player as I've seen when it's all said and done. Some guys have matched his endurance (Richo and JB come to mind), some match his speed (Franklin), some match his strength and marking ability but no one has been that complete package, it's a shame he probably retires without a flag.

HFF - Brent Harvey - Flanking nice guy Nick with two of the games bigger dickheads seems kind of cruel but Harvey is another special player and you'd be hard pressed to find a player who played a better 200+ games in that decade (nevermind another 100 in the decades either side!).

FP - Stephen Milne - The best small forward of the decade for mine and narrowly edges Phil Matera and Jeff Farmer for that title, which is a pretty good effort. I'd argue both those two names were better at their peaks but Milne probably has 6 of the 10 best seasons out of the three (without looking at specifics!). One of those rare small forwards who could be a genuine marking target when left one out in addition to being a monster on the ground.

FF - Matthew Lloyd - This was probably the hardest position to pick in the team. I could have gone JB and used it as a bailout but I've gone a legit FF. The problem isn't that Lloyd or Buddy were great... it's that they were both really only what they were for half the decade due to career start times, ultimately Lloyd's tail end was better than Buddy's start and he did play nearly all the decade even if he wasn't nearly as good at the end. Also he was an assassin in front of goal, might be the last player where you're genuinely surprised when he misses with the way goal kicking has gone.

FP - Gary Ablett Jr - This is a bit of a copout but the fact is that for the first half of the decade he was a very good to elite small forward and then became an elite midfielder and these teams always struggle to make space for the midfielders anyway so I'm leaning this way. Honestly he probably doesn't make it as a midfielder anyway given it's basically 2 years of being great.

R - Dean Cox - Probably the easiest choice of them all. He basically wins on every possible test. Best at his peak, best on longevity and redefined the position. I don't think there is anyone else with a remote case even.

RR - Simon Black - God it just gets harder and harder to pick players. He wins over Voss because his career spanned the entire decade and his best football was played in that decade, doesn't hurt that he was a truly great player either of course!

Rov - Mark Ricciuto - I'm not actually sure he deserves to be in this team, another player that I actually don't rate as highly as the consensus in that I don't think he was in the class of his peers that he gets put against in Buckley, Voss and McLeod BUT that is perhaps too high a standard. The big difference of course is that he was great for most of the decade, unlike Voss. To be clear, taking those 3 over him is really not taking away from him as much as it is commending them.

Int - Adam Goodes - Versatility, greatness and longevity (he basically didn't miss a game in the decade) are all part of why he is here. At his very best there may not have been a better player, his consistency was not at the same level as some of the other guns but his ability to change a game in a quarter was as high as anyone.

Int - Brad Johnson - Another fantastic player who was great for the entire decade and his versatility was also exceptional. One of the great marks for his size the game has seen.

Int - Jimmy Bartel - I'd say he was the best midfielder the Cats can offer up over the whole decade, consistently great. Since that decade he has also proven the versatility to play in defense or as a quasi key forward which I guess probably shouldn't factor in but it really does.

Int - Matthew Pavlich - Again versatility gets the rewards here. Could play defense at an elite level, could play midfield at a very good level and is one of the better KPF we will see. Ultimately that gave him the edge over Brown or any other key position guy for the final spot.

Coach - Bomber Thompson - This was tough to pick. I think it came down to 2 choices for mine, Lethal and Bomber. Ultimately I've gone with the Cats as I think their degree of difficulty was higher and whether it's fair or not the Lions did have a lot of concessions, plus Bomber left the team in a far better position when he left, I think that I've gone to those criteria for a decision is how much of a coinflip it is. Roos, Woosha, Malthouse and Choco the honourable mentions for mine.

Captain - Riewoldt - Tough choice, not having Voss or Kirk (the two best captains of the decade, imo) makes this harder, simple fact is Hodge wasn't captain in the decade takes him out for mine. Roo probably would be VC here and the next in line.

Key exclusions:

Half a decade/Best in the 90s/10s - Voss, Crawford, Franklin, Harvey, Hird, Pendles, West and quite a few others...
    Genuinely unlucky - Hayes, C. Bolton, Leppitsch, Brown, Tredrea, Kirk, Goodwin, Kerr, Didak, Farmer, Matera, Wirra, McPharlin, Glass, Dal Santo, Montagna (as a pure winger he might make it), Lappin (as a pure winger he would make it) and probably more than a few others.

So how would others go? That was tougher than expected for me and probably more similar to Mike's than I expected!
    The Truck is driving the Fish Shack in 2018... Christian Petracca is my boy!

2. Likes Cat for life, Bunga, Narkee liked this post
    Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    478 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Twitter Poster - A great twitter poster on behalf of FFC and TFP

Re: Mike Sheahan's Teams of the Decade

Hird should be in there tbh.
    hoff.

Team
    WEST COAST
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    924 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

BUNGA’S TEAM OF THE 2000s

B: C. Enright(Geel), M. Scarlett (Geel), D. Glass (WC)
    HB: L. Hodge (Haw), J. Leppitsch (BL), A.McLeod (Ade)
    C: N. Buckley (BB/Coll), M. Voss (BL), S. Black (BL)
    HF: B.Cousins (WC), N. Riewoldt (StK), J.Hird (Ess)
    F: J. Akermanis (BL/WB), M. Lloyd (Ess), S.Milne (StK)
    Foll: D. Cox (WC), C. Judd (WC/Carl), G. Ablett jnr (Geel/GC)
    Int: M. Pavlich (Fre), M. Ricciuto (Adel), J.Bartel (Geel),A. Goodes (Syd)

Coach: M.Thompson
    Captain: M. Voss
    SC is FFC's number 1 fantasy game

5. Likes Wogitalia liked this post
    Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    899 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Quote Originally Posted by Skeeta View Post
    Hird should be in there tbh.
    I don't think he was actually that close, imo. He did play until 2007 but he was a shadow for the last 3 of those and really only very good for for the first 4 years. Hird would have a legit case if I could cherry pick 1995 to 2005 as his years though. I don't think he'd even be in my top 10 of guys that missed out though (probably not 20 even). Not a knock on him, just the unfortunate fact that his career pretty perfectly fell halfway between decades and I don't think there is any doubt that the better half was the 95-00 part either.

Kouta, Crawford, Voss, Harvey, Pendles, Swan and Franklin all share a similar fate.

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    478 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Twitter Poster - A great twitter poster on behalf of FFC and TFP

Which makes this whole exercise pretty stupid, tbh.
    hoff.

8. Likes twarby liked this post
    Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    674 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Twitter Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Wogitalia View Post
    I don't think he was actually that close, imo. He did play until 2007 but he was a shadow for the last 3 of those and really only very good for for the first 4 years. Hird would have a legit case if I could cherry pick 1995 to 2005 as his years though. I don't think he'd even be in my top 10 of guys that missed out though (probably not 20 even). Not a knock on him, just the unfortunate fact that his career pretty perfectly fell halfway between decades and I don't think there is any doubt that the better half was the 95-00 part either.

Kouta, Crawford, Voss, Harvey, Pendles, Swan and Franklin all share a similar fate.
    I'd argue Enright is in the same boat - that was the first thing that jumped out at me with your team.

Will need to think about my team, it's hard to do because there's so many guys with exactly this issue. If you change the criteria to "guys who played a lot during the decade, but considering their whole career" it's an easier team to make, because you don't have to weigh up "Buddy kicked 100 in 2008, but he's been consistently better since 2011" etc.
    Never bet against Tom Rockliff

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    899 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Quote Originally Posted by Skeeta View Post
    Which makes this whole exercise pretty stupid, tbh.
    One way of looking at it I guess. I actually kind of like that the parameters really challenge the selections and make it that bit more difficult. Certainly creates a slightly different side to what you'd otherwise expect.

FFC Agent of Chaos Big Sledge #32's Avatar
    Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    579 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Hird would make mine and so would Cousins and not sure who I kick out.

I'd also have McLeod in my team of the 00s because he was so dominant during 00-03 in the midfield and then became the greatest HBF of all time from 04 onwards.
    Baltimore Ravens Superbowl XLVII Champions
    Quote Originally Posted by Narkee View Post
    SC only

#AgentOfChaos

12. Likes Bunga liked this post
    Team
    WEST COAST
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    924 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sledge #32 View Post
    Hird would make mine and so would Cousins and not sure who I kick out.

I'd also have McLeod in my team of the 00s because he was so dominant during 00-03 in the midfield and then became the greatest HBF of all time from 04 onwards.
    Just include all 3 like I did & kick out Johnson/Harvey/Brown
    SC is FFC's number 1 fantasy game

14. Likes Big Sledge #32 liked this post
    Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    899 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Quote Originally Posted by Ben the Gooner View Post
    I'd argue Enright is in the same boat - that was the first thing that jumped out at me with your team.

Will need to think about my team, it's hard to do because there's so many guys with exactly this issue. If you change the criteria to "guys who played a lot during the decade, but considering their whole career" it's an easier team to make, because you don't have to weigh up "Buddy kicked 100 in 2008, but he's been consistently better since 2011" etc.
    Haha that probably doesn't make Buddy vs Lloyd any easier though!

I actually thought Enright was pretty easy. Started in 2001 and was a pretty damn good defender from day dot and has been an elite rebounder from about 2003. His longevity has been great but his best was 2006-2011 for mine. I probably rate him higher than a lot do but he was the easiest to pick of the small defenders for mine because he was great for the whole decade pretty much.

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    579 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bunga View Post
    Just include all 3 like I did & kick out Johnson/Harvey/Brown
    I think Lappin is the one of the guys who gets cut. Excellent player (as is everyone in this debate), but not on the level of any of the three guys I'm discussing.

Which legendary KPF gets kicked is interesting discussion. Because Pav, N Roo, Lloyd, Brown & Tredrea don't make a functional team.
    SC only

#AgentOfChaos

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    674 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Twitter Poster

Haha that probably doesn't make Buddy vs Lloyd any easier though!

I actually thought Enright was pretty easy. Started in 2001 and was a pretty damn good defender from day dot and has been an elite rebounder from about 2003. His longevity has been great but his best was 2006-2011 for mine. I probably rate him higher than a lot do but he was the easiest to pick of the small defenders for mine because he was great for the whole decade pretty much.
    Buddy and Lloyd are already written into CHF and FF in pen before I even think about the other KPFs in that decision (J Brown is my other, and Tredrea probably gets a spot on the bench even though it unbalances the team - if we're talking purely between 2000 and 2009, then Brown and Tredrea get picked and you can make a significant case for a lot of others - probably Lloyd still.)

I love Enright as well, but I think with a peak between 2006/07 - arguably even now but at worst 2013, and the first few years of his career being the first few years of anyone's career just about (i.e. not elite), he's in the same boat as say a Hird (brilliant for half the decade) or to a marginally lesser extent an Ablett/Franklin type (didn't peak for quite as long as Enright, really).
    Never bet against Tom Rockliff

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    590 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Yeah did Mike Sheahan mention how they were picked at all? Like I noticed he had McLeod in the 90's team but not in the 00's. I'm unsure whether he was avoiding picking players in both or thought he was better. McLeod won two Norm Smith medals in the 90's although he only played from 95 onwards and I'm not sure what he was like in his first couple of seasons. He had Modra missing from his 90's team but when you look at the other forwards, it's tough to fit him in, so many great forwards in the 90's.

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    899 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Quote Originally Posted by dylan123 View Post
    Yeah did Mike Sheahan mention how they were picked at all? Like I noticed he had McLeod in the 90's team but not in the 00's. I'm unsure whether he was avoiding picking players in both or thought he was better. McLeod won two Norm Smith medals in the 90's although he only played from 95 onwards and I'm not sure what he was like in his first couple of seasons. He had Modra missing from his 90's team but when you look at the other forwards, it's tough to fit him in, so many great forwards in the 90's.
    I assume he explained on a show somewhere or something, only article I saw it in was one about how the Eagles flag was tainted in his eyes and that Cousins was left out because Sheahan see's his drug habit as performance enhancing and thus didn't consider him beyond that.

As for Modra, as great as he was I don't know if he has any real case in the 90s side. Lockett is a monty for FF and Carey is a monty for CHF, like you couldn't really make a case against either of them that is reasonable. So basically you're squeezing him in as a 3rd tall against the likes of Sumich, Dunstall, Ablett Sr, Richo, Rocca, Kernahan, Grant and Stewie Leowe off the top of my head. I'd say you can make a case against a few of them but I don't think he has much of one against Dunstall and Ablett at the very least. Really was a phenomenal era for the big forwards that Modra isn't even really worth considering other than the "he was great but not legendary" type thought.

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    579 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I assume he explained on a show somewhere or something, only article I saw it in was one about how the Eagles flag was tainted in his eyes and that Cousins was left out because Sheahan see's his drug habit as performance enhancing and thus didn't consider him beyond that.

As for Modra, as great as he was I don't know if he has any real case in the 90s side. Lockett is a monty for FF and Carey is a monty for CHF, like you couldn't really make a case against either of them that is reasonable. So basically you're squeezing him in as a 3rd tall against the likes of Sumich, Dunstall, Ablett Sr, Richo, Rocca, Kernahan, Grant and Stewie Leowe off the top of my head. I'd say you can make a case against a few of them but I don't think he has much of one against Dunstall and Ablett at the very least. Really was a phenomenal era for the big forwards that Modra isn't even really worth considering other than the "he was great but not legendary" type thought.
    I wouldn't have him in the side but I'd take him over all of the bolded. Richo for his output in the 90s and I left Sumich unbolded because I can't recall ever seeing him play.
    SC only

#AgentOfChaos