Team
    MELBOURNE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    465 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: 2015 AFL Draft

Ideally the Dees take the best KPF prospect available and the best midfield talent available at their picks, but I don't really know the order in which that should happen. I admit that I am not knowledgeable about this year's crop though. I'll need to do some reading in the weeks ahead.

Curnow seems like he has some Jake Stringer qualities, which sounds nice, but not sure if he has the size to be a true KPF partner for Hogan. That said, Stringer is an absolute nightmare matchup for most teams so I wouldn't be against having an uncaged lion like Stringer prowling around the Dees' forward line or running off the square at centre bounces. If the club is convinced that he won't be there at their second pick and if he is the last elite KPF-type on the board after Weitering and Schache are gone, then perhaps they get Curnow with their first pick.

As far as the midfield pick goes, I really don't mind who we get. Someone with high-quality disposal by foot would be ideal, as there are still very few ball users of distinction on Melbourne's list, but really the club still needs to get as much elite midfield talent through the door as possible, whether it be inside or outside.
    #teamANB

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    710 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

For those interested in some vision, this guy has posted the two AFL academy games (v Northern Blues and v Werribee) which features most of the likely top picks. Also has a couple of the champs games on there. https://vimeo.com/user36560007/videos/page:2/sort:date

AFL site also has I think 1 champs game for each side.

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    289 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

why would we risk it on Burton, what am I missing?
    TEX WALKER. that is all.

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    578 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Crow-mo View Post
    why would we risk it on Burton, what am I missing?
    Given where he was rated pre injury - that being said, his injury seems quite serious so there's every chance he falls past us and a few after us as well.

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    710 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Cal Twomey on the road to the draft podcast suggesting Nathan Broad from Swan Districts likely to be the first mature ager selected in the ND, as a possible top 30 pick. Haven't seen him so can't comment.

Broad with 78 DT average in the WAFL. Very solid for a defender. Write-up from Fox:
    Nathan Broad (Swan Districts)

Position: Tall defender

2015 WAFL average numbers: 20 disposals and 7 marks from 20 matches (4 goals overall)

BROAD just missed out on a spot on an AFL list when he was 18, but he’s seemingly hungrier to win a spot four years later. An exciting, rebounding defender, Broad had an excellent WAFL season in 2015, finishing fourth in Swan District’s best and fairest award. Only once did he fail to accumulate 15 disposals or more this season, while he finished with 20 disposals or more in nine matches. He was also fantastic at the state combine, finishing with the best repeat sprints score (24.04s) and third-best beep test result (14.1). Whether he plays either as a lock-down or attacking defender, Broad looms as a handy recruit for any AFL club.
    http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-...-1227593441446

Twomey also suggesting Ess are considering Mitch Brown as early as 24/25. Brett Anderson has him at 48 going to Sydney in his mock.
    Mitch Brown (Sandringham)

Position: Utility

2015 VFL average numbers: 19 disposals, 7 marks (2 contested), 6 contested possessions, 5 score involvements and 101 SuperCoach points from 21 matches (23 goals overall)

SURELY it’ll be a case of second-time lucky for Brown, who wasn’t picked up by a club this time last year after being delisted by Geelong. Instead of becoming bitter about his axing from the Cats, the 25-year-old got a whole lot better. Signing with Sandringham, Brown started — and ended — the VFL season as a stellar key forward, finishing with four-goal hauls against Essendon (Round 1) and Box Hill (preliminary final) and three goals against Collingwood (semi-final) to be named at centre half-forward in the VFL team of the year. In between those rounds, Brown showed off his versatility and starred in a tall defensive role, taking seven marks or more in 13 of his 21 games. Up to five AFL clubs have reportedly shown interest in Brown this year, indicating a second chance seems likely.
    http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-...-1227591284674

Have also heard ex Collingwood player Michael Hartley being linked fairly heavily to GWS. Brett Anderson has him at 67 to GC. I know Hartley failed a medical at Ess to be one of our top ups for the NAB cup. Am hoping this was related to his fitness as opposed to his shoulder which he has had some problems with. If it was due to his fitness, he pulled a 13.4 in the beep test at the state combine, which is not amazing by any stretch, but it's also not bad, so endurance shouldn't be an issue for drafting him.
    Michael Hartley (Coburg)

Position: Key defender

2015 VFL average numbers: 14 disposals, 4 rebound 50s, 6 marks, 8 spoils, 4 tackles and 99 SuperCoach points from 18 matches

IF AFL clubs need a ready-made key position defender, look no further than Coburg star Hartley. After spending two years on Collingwood’s rookie list (2012-2013), the key back was delisted due to a spate of injuries. But since joining Coburg, Hartley has turned into a star of the VFL. In 2015 he won Coburg’s best and fairest award and was named at centre half-back in the VFL team of the year. He was also in line to be an Essendon top-up player during this year’s NAB Challenge series until a shoulder injury. But with ample class, footy smarts and a frame recruiters yearn for, AFL clubs would be considering giving Hartley a second chance.
    http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-...-1227591284674

Some summaries on potential mature agers from Fox/HS/News:
    WAFL: http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-...-1227593441446
    SANFL: http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-...-1227596119735
    VFL: http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-...-1227591284674

The VFL and SANFL ones have some SC numbers which could be handy. Not sure I overly agree with some of the names, but nice to have the numbers. Dan Coghlan and James Ferry another couple from the VFL who I reckon are quite likely.

6. Likes dylan123 liked this post
    Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    710 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

For those wanting to research any potential draftees, do yourself a favour and grab the draft edition of Inside Football for $3.50. Has ~200ish players summarised with some stats on each, a few of which you can't find anywhere else at this stage (bloody AFL site again this year released U18 Champs numbers without hitouts, IF also has stats from the Allies v AFL academy game on GF day and the VFL/TAC Young Guns game, which aren't released elsewhere).

Also has Brett Anderson's full mock.

Can purchase here:
    https://subscribe.realviewtechnologi...1933,1934,2293

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    578 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Even if Hartley did fail his medical due to his shoulder, it wouldn't stop him entirely would it? Like didn't SJ fail his medical at Collingwood earlier in his career due to his ankle? Obviously not a great sign to be failing it though but given he lasted the season, might be a bit better/shown the ability that it won't hinder him?

Kinda sucks not having late draft picks with the complete unknown of who you'll pick later in the draft/if you'll go after a mature aged player etc.

FFC Senior Assistant Coach hendo8888's Avatar
    Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most years, I usually have a fair idea of who is likely to go in the top 50 and am aware of probably 70 potential draftees. This year, because the Crows only have picks in the first round, I haven't bothered researching past the top 20. And I haven't bothered looking at the Academy guys, so I barely know 15 players in this draft.
    This post was more than likely SC based.
    If in doubt, assume it was.

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    710 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

http://m.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/...13-gkythc.html

Emma Quayle's top 30 prospects.

Agree on Hopper from what I've seen (albeit only 4 games). Guy is an absolute beast for the contest. That said Weitering could be anything so more than happy with him as #1 too.

11. Likes Bunga liked this post
    Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    710 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Brett Anderson's top 30, like the ones done by Emma and Cal, not a mock

http://sen.lu/1H3vUEA

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    310 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kennedy and Hopper will be expensive but look to be ready made players. If it was GWS a few seasons back they'd be walk up starts. Not sure that applies now but still worth keeping an eye on.
    Proud coach of Big Jenny Talia FFC
    SC 2013 - 11th
    SC 2014
    - 16th
    SC 2015 and beyond - foetal position

"Yonnies in the wind, we're ruggin' up for winter"

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    710 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Emma's thoughts on the academy kids: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-new...14-gkyzl7.html

Interesting that she doesn't expect early bids for either Kennedy or Hopper. Expecting Melb to bid at 3 for Mills, but thinks the GWS boys may get through to Adelaide before being matched.
    Logic is very solid. Basically saying Ess using picks 4 or 5 sends the message to whoever we end up with that they are our 2nd/3rd/4th choice so we're unlikely to bid as a result. Carlton won't bid due to their trade deals. Then Adelaide essentially need to bid at 9 to prevent GWS using pick 10 on a free player and basically moving Adelaide's pick 13 one back in the order.

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    869 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Didymus Blanket has to be one of the all time great names.

I reckon if I'm in charge of Melbourne I'm just about bidding on all the top 3 academy guys on principal, no point letting those teams pay anything less than they can force on them and they'd be fine with any of them I'd think. I can understand the risk of being that club (they did it last year to Sydney also) but they need to make the clubs work for the talent.

Going to be interesting to see, hard to see Essendon bidding on either clubs guys given the deals done but who knows.
    The Truck is driving the Fish Shack in 2018... Christian Petracca is my boy!

16. Likes pvcyclone liked this post
    Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    659 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Twitter Poster

We could definitely bid on Hopper, especially if we're planning to pick say Weiderman and Milera/Francis (which I think will be the case). Different styles of player so no harm done to the guys we draft. Zero chance we bid on Mills or Melbourne bids on Hopper due to the trade deals that were done.
    Never bet against Tom Rockliff

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    710 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Seems like the recent mail has Francis still sliding to Adel or later. Still doesn't seem to be consensus on pick 3. Emma suggesting Dees are a good chance to look at a tall being either Curnow or Weideman. Recent mail also suggesting Ess may pass on Parish even if available which would be a surprise.
    Oliver or Milera seem to be firming for the small to Ess. Presumably of Curnow goes at 3 it'd be Weideman & Milera/Oliver/Parish. If Parish goes at 3 I'd still expect us to pick Curnow. Not sure if that means we'd consider Curnow and Weideman or if it'd just be Curnow and Milera/Oliver.