Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    578 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: 2015 AFL Draft

I'm still pretty raw on everything I've read but Oliver at 6 seems to be higher than what's 'expected' at this point isn't it? Sounds like someone that could make an impact quite early on though.

FFC Senior Assistant Coach hendo8888's Avatar
    Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Francis and Burton would make me a very happy man.
    This post was more than likely SC based.
    If in doubt, assume it was.

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    659 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Twitter Poster

Woosha made some comments about pace and excitement with one of our first rounders, so I wonder if Milera is on the cards.
    Never bet against Tom Rockliff

FFC Agent of Chaos Big Sledge #32's Avatar
    Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    561 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I hope someone takes Milera before our pick. I'd much prefer we end up with someone else.
    Baltimore Ravens Superbowl XLVII Champions
    Quote Originally Posted by Narkee View Post
    SC only

#AgentOfChaos

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    710 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

MELBOURNE is set to spoil Essendon’s national draft party by taking the best midfielder for the second year in a row.

The Demons and Bombers are both believed to be keen on the most polished onball talent available and have zeroed in on Geelong Falcon Darcy Parish.

But Melbourne sacrificed its first selection next year in a complicated trade with Gold Coast to rise from pick No. 6 to No. 3.

That has ensured the Demons can scupper Essendon, which holds picks four and five.

Tough midfielder Parish has been likened to Adelaide jet Rory Sloane and averaged 129 SuperCoach points per game for the Falcons.

The dual All-Australian is the standout midfielder outside of the three NSW academy stars.

If Parish is gone the Bombers’ pair is expected to come from clever half-forward Wayne Milera, prototype Charlie Curnow, powerful utility Aaron Francis and key forward Sam Weideman.

They all shape as gold selections.

Milera had minor heart surgery before a brilliant three-goal senior SANFL final in September while some believe Curnow could wind up the draft’s best player.

The brother of Carlton’s Ed Curnow is a 191cm marking forward who can play in the midfield and will also be discussed at No.3.

The Demons, also armed with pick No. 7, are fans of the injury-plagued Weideman and can see him forming a lethal partnership with Rising Star Jesse Hogan.

The imposing goalkicker is the grandson of Collingwood legend Murray Weideman.

Demons football boss Josh Mahoney said the club would take the best player available at both early picks.

Marking forward Harry McKay is unlikely to get past Carlton (No. 8) and Adelaide (9).

McKay — whose identical twin Ben should be taken in the top 25 — stands 200cm but doesn’t turn 18 until Christmas Eve.

Melbourne’s pick No. 3 could be bumped to No. 6 on draft night should the Dees bid on academy trio Callum Mills (Sydney), Jacob Hopper and Matthew Kennedy (GWS).

They bid pick No. 2 on Swan Isaac Heeney last year before jagging Christian Petracca and Angus Brayshaw.

Recruiters believe Carlton and Brisbane Lions are set on key defender Jacob Weitering and full-forward Josh Schache respectively as the first two selections in this month’s draft..

Most clubs — including the Suns and Carlton — like Clayton Oliver and are suddenly considering the quick and powerful midfielder in the top 10.

Oliver was overlooked for Vic Country but the stoppage beast stormed home and will command first-round selection.

Richmond coach Damien Hardwick believes first-round talents should be able to play immediately.

This will be Melbourne’s final raid on the hottest draft talent. Next year the Dees’ list strategy will turn to the trade and free agency markets.

In 2013 they added Christian Salem (No. 9) and Dom Tyson (No. 3 in 2011) while the year before they got father-son Jack Viney cheaply.

The Dees wanted to send Jeremy Howe to Gold Coast so they could trade up from No. 6 to No. 3.

When Howe chose Collingwood, the Demons traded away next year’s top pick as part of a deal to secure No. 3 from the Suns.

SAM LANDSBERGER’S EARLY TOP 10

1. Jacob Weitering (Carlton) 195cm key defender

2. Josh Schache (Brisbane Lions) 199cm key forward

3. Callum Mills (Sydney) 188cm midfielder*

4. Jacob Hopper (GWS Giants) 186cm midfielder*

5. Darcy Parish (Melbourne) 181cm midfielder

6. Matthew Kennedy (GWS Giants) 187cm midfielder*

7. Wayne Milera (Essendon) 185cm half-forward

8. Charlie Curnow (Essendon) 191cm midfield/forward

9. Eric Hipwood (Brisbane Lions) 202cm swingman*

10. Clayton Oliver (Gold Coast) 187cm midfielder

*Academy selection
    http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/af...a2d1e654ae6578

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    474 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Twitter Poster - A great twitter poster on behalf of FFC and TFP

I don't get why Melbourne traded up for a midfielder, unless they're happy with either Curnow or Weiderman with their next pick and just wanted the best midfielder?
    hoff.

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    869 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Quote Originally Posted by Skeeta View Post
    I don't get why Melbourne traded up for a midfielder, unless they're happy with either Curnow or Weiderman with their next pick and just wanted the best midfielder?
    I think there were multiple reasons to do it. First is they wanted to make sure they got their man, they've essentially traded next years first for pick 10 and a 3 pick upgrade this year, actually think it was a good trade. On top of getting their man, they're basically backing their club to improve and push the pick outward, they also clearly like this draft more than most (or at least the top 10 in it). They've gone with the bird in the hand is worth two in the bush basically with the draft.

I liked their move, just have to get the picks right now and then win plenty of games to reduce the hurt of giving up next years first.
    The Truck is driving the Fish Shack in 2018... Christian Petracca is my boy!

8. Likes divvydan liked this post
    Team
    WESTERN BULLDOGS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    326 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Agreed Wogi. This also ties in with bringing in young players like Tyson and Frost who are ready to play straight away and getting earlier picks this year is part of getting a block coming through that reach the ideal age around the same time. You can see Carlton trying to do something similar, although they're a couple of years behind in that process.

Interesting thing to me about that top 10 list is the suggestion that Melbourne would bid on Mills and Hopper, Essendon would bid on Kennedy and GC bid on Hipwood. Especially for Melbourne as then whoever they actually pick on the night would then be their third choice at pick 3.

Team
    MELBOURNE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    465 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wogi on point with his analysis. Not much for me to add here. The club is clearly backing itself to be pretty competitive in 2016, which makes for a refreshing change. Hopefully the wins follow from this change in mindset.
    #teamANB

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    474 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I mean I have no idea about the draft prospects, it just seems like you'd trade up for a KPP over a midfielder. At the end of the day Essendon will have the choice for one of Curnow/Weiderman so I hope we end up with a tall.
    hoff.

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    710 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Would also depend on if we are counting Curnow as a KPF or as a mid.

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    474 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pvcyclone View Post
    Would also depend on if we are counting Curnow as a KPF or as a mid.
    What would you say he is? He is only 191cm but has a pretty solid wingspan to make up for it.

Obviously it makes sense to trade up for Parish if they want him. My question is I guess is he worth all the effort and sacrificing next years draft?
    hoff.

Team
    WESTERN BULLDOGS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    326 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Curnow seems similar in size and style to a Darling or Stringer. Think he would most likely be a forward, at least early on in his career, but then rotate more through the midfield. Given the interchange cap, he'll probably end up doing both and just being a really tough matchup.

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    710 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Seems really hard to tell with Curnow.

I think he could potentially have some special endurance. Ran a 14.5 beep and a 10:24 3km at the draft combine, and reckon he'd be a good 5 kgs overweight at the minute. Think he could improve that dramatically.
    Ed Curnow is clearly an elite runner, which is apparently a trait that runs in the family.
    Think it's quite likely Curnow can become a much better runner than a Darling or a Stringer. Doesn't have Stringer's speed though, so who knows if he is going to be any good as a midfielder.

Super Moderator
    Team
    FREMANTLE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    474 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Twitter PosterFFC Blogger
    Fyfe Award - for outstanding contributions - Outstanding contributions accross the FFC and forwardpress blogs. A huge amount of work completed by Hedge so our thanks go out!!!

I wonder if we'll see clubs try to counter GWS's strategy of hoarding points by overbidding on their players. GWS have left themselves vulnerable because they're basically shown that they'll match whatever bids occur.

GWS with picks 10, 34, 43, 53 then 64, 65, 66 (2890 points); their points strategy seems to be based on Kennedy/Hopper/Hipwood get bids around pick 4-8. If Carlton went HAM and bidded on both with number 1, GWS would be kinda screwed; they'd need to spend 4500 points to get them both (that's with the discount), meaning they'd be 1610 points in debt, which I'd guess would mean they'd forfeit the right to bid on Hipwood and Himmelburg two other likely first rounders. The alternative would be to pass on the bid for one of them, which would leave them with only one of their kids + late picks, which could only be considered a huge loss for them given their trading strategy. Carlton would then be left with one of Hopper/Kennedy at pick 1 and then picks 8 and 11 to spend on talls which is hardly a loss. Could well be a risk worth taking, I imagine part of GWS's charity trades with Carlton would've been an agreement not to bid. Although they could probably try and catch Sydney with Mills as well, given Sydney's draft position I couldn't imagine them not matching Pick 1 for Mills.

So if Carlton are part of a gentleman's agreement, if Brisbane or Essendon decided to bid on both the GWS boys, GWS would still be 885/500 points in debt so that would still be a big blow.
    Anyone
    Anywhere
    Anytime