Mentioned
    710 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Re: 2015 AFL Draft

Quote Originally Posted by Skeeta View Post
    YOUR BOY TIPPPAAAAAAAA

Admittedly at least he has semi claims this year after having a decent year at VFL level.
    Glad to hear Disco say he was likely to play as a small defender next year, because a small forward he certainly is not.

Still don't think he has the tools to be an AFL player though. Can certainly kick the ball which is good, but not convinced he is strong enough physically given his height which is an issue.

However, he has certainly committed himself and put the time in, so you never know. I like the selection from the fact that we've told this guy he needs to work on a few things, and he has over 3 years with the VFL side and we've rewarded that.

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    710 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Just looking at some of the mature agers in the rookie draft:

Tom Keough to GC. KPD. Talked up pre-national draft as one to go there. Fantasy relevance probably not amazing given Thompson and May are fairly excellent defenders.

Joshua Wagner Melb. No idea on him.

Paul Hunter to Crows. Ruckman from the NEAFL. Went close to being drafted last year. Potentially fantasy relevant as R3, obvously is only going to play if Sauce is injured. Guessing though that O'Brien may be ahead of at this stage though.

Matt Uebergang to Freo. KPD from the NEAFL. Very athletic. Has played forward previously, so more relevant you'd think if they've drafted him as a forward, otherwise he's probably fighting with Sam Collins for any KPD opening.

Andrew Gallucci to Carlton. Small forward from Williamstown. Really like him as a prospect. Has very clean hands and is super kick. Fantasy wise he doesn't get a heap of it, but if he is playing rd 1 you'd consider. But he's the type that if there are other fantasy options not picking him isn't going to hurt. But could be a solid F7/8 if there aren't many forward rookie options. 60ish DT avg in the VFL this year.

Josh Smith to Collingwood. NEAFL, No idea on him.

Daniel Lloyd to GWS. No idea on him. Since when does the NEAFL have so many bloody draftees? Vandenberg seems to have started something.

Jono Beech to Adel. Very experienced at 25. But he has skills as a medium forward. You'd think he almost has to play at that age. Very solid SANFL DT average of 85 in 2015. Could easily have been drafted in previous years. Has to be probably the leading candidate at this stage. Not an amazing club for him in terms of the forward firepower the Crows are going to have, but you'd think they clearly rate him to draft a 25 year old.

Tom Ruggles to Geelong. Haven't seen much of him. Medium defender, which is promising for fantasy. 74 DT average with Geelong VFL, so one to watch.

Adam Marcon to Richmond. Very ready to go. Is an accumulator with a good engine in the midfield from Williamstown. Does everything reasonably well. My guess is he may play as a tagger at AFL level. Good mates with Lambert, who I'm guessing suggested Marcon to the recruiting team. 97.5 DT average in the VFL this year. Scoring dependent on role but definitely one to watch. Not sure there is a place for him immediately though so could be a downgrade, unless he can force himself in as something like a tagger.

Added to the mature agers from the national draft in Marcus Adams (Dogs), Sam Menegola (Geelong), Ryan Broad (Rich), Shane Yarran (Freo), Rupert Wills (Coll), Michael Hartley (Ess), Mitch Brown (Ess) and Sam Collins (Freo).
    From that group, Menegola has big fantasy potential if he can grab a spot. Of the others, the two Essendon guys should be chances for games immediately because they are both quality imo. Both KPPs, but can score. Hartley has a good boot on him and average 69 DT for Coburg this year. If Hartley plays, it will be either as an injury replacement or if we decide to play Hooker forward.
    Brown likely to play forward in my view. Depending upon Francis (as Ben says could start forward) and Hooker. Can score either forward or back. 88 DT average in the VFL playing a variety of roles which is obviously very strong for a KPP. Could also potentially play down back in Gwilt's role as the 3rd tall. Hopefully will be a B/F in fantasy.
    Broad is a tall HBF. Age and scoring wise looks good. Needs to crack the Richmond side though, but will be back positioned which is a big tick.
    Collins is more of a lockdown defender than Hartley. Not terrible numbers at 62 DT for Box Hill, but sceptical on him as a fantasy option. Will certainly look at if there are no other options and he looks like getting a game, but probably not before then.
    Yarran at 26 would be looking likely. Lock him in if picked rd 1. Wills haven't seen and Adams as discussed in his thread is a 3rd tall back who can put up decent numbers.

4. Likes Wheedus, dylan123, Bunga, Elvs1 liked this post
    Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    710 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Overall looking good for GNR next year. Plenty of likely forward or back rookies which is encouraging, even if not all are likely to be great scorers. Should still get plenty of mid rookies from the 18 y/os + Menegola and Marcon hopefully.

FFC Senior Assistant Coach hendo8888's Avatar
    Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hunter would be 0 chance to debut I would have thought. O'Brien would be the first backup, and you'd assume they'd give Lowden a chance to not get delisted.
    Not sure what the plan is with Beech, just don't really see where he fits. He's probably good enough to get games on ability, but can't see a spot for him, unless Lynch gets injured.

Milera is probably likely to debut, but can't see the other 5 forcing their way in.
    This post was more than likely SC based.
    If in doubt, assume it was.

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    578 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pvcyclone View Post
    Paul Hunter to Crows. Ruckman from the NEAFL. Went close to being drafted last year. Potentially fantasy relevant as R3, obvously is only going to play if Sauce is injured. Guessing though that O'Brien may be ahead of at this stage though.
    Will certainly give O'Brien a run for it for our backup ruckman I'd hope - pushes Lowden further down the peaking order really.

Is Hunter capable of playing anywhere else on the ground? I saw his highlight clip and he seemed quite agile and moved quite well for a big man which is a nice sign.

Jono Beech to Adel. Very experienced at 25. But he has skills as a medium forward. You'd think he almost has to play at that age. Very solid SANFL DT average of 85 in 2015. Could easily have been drafted in previous years. Has to be probably the leading candidate at this stage. Not an amazing club for him in terms of the forward firepower the Crows are going to have, but you'd think they clearly rate him to draft a 25 year old.
    Never seen him play but from all reports he's been one of the better players in the SANFL for the past couple of seasons. Think I read he had a kicking eff of 84% last year when averaging ~22 touches which is quite impressive.

Mentioned mainly as a forward who can play on the wing/mid but I guess at AFL level that will most likely drop back to a HFF which in turn makes it seem like he'll be a Lynch style replacement. I guess if he can impress in the pre season with a new coach he's a chance to play (we could put Jaensch on the LTI now if we wanted) to play him in the first 4-6 weeks of the season before Jaensch is expected to be ready.

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    710 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Quote Originally Posted by dylan123 View Post
    Will certainly give O'Brien a run for it for our backup ruckman I'd hope - pushes Lowden further down the peaking order really.

Is Hunter capable of playing anywhere else on the ground? I saw his highlight clip and he seemed quite agile and moved quite well for a big man which is a nice sign.
    Yeah my read on the pick was the Crows have lost all faith in Lowden.

On Hunter, his coach reckons he can play forward but hasn't done so to any great degree at NEAFL level, so who knows. Tough to see him getting a game as a forward next year though.

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    578 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Yeah my read on the pick was the Crows have lost all faith in Lowden.

On Hunter, his coach reckons he can play forward but hasn't done so to any great degree at NEAFL level, so who knows. Tough to see him getting a game as a forward next year though.
    Yeah agreed, more I guess if teams start to play 2 rucks you need to be able to 'hide' one on the field when not in the ruck because Jacobs would be the main ruckman.

Read another interesting opinion on bigfooty that we could always trial O'Brien as a KPD given he did a bit of that during his under 18's and then have Hunter as the main ruckman of the side.

I wouldn't think that would be that likely to happen given O'Brien seemed to be playing quite well as a ruckman in the SANFL but I do worry about our KP depth given I don't believe Otten/Shaw are KP defenders (3rd talls imo).