ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    305 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: The 5 best players you've seen at your club

Quote Originally Posted by Athomas View Post
    I probably didn't start following Carlton until early 00's (well, I watched the 99 prelim as an 8 year old and after we won that one I decided to barrack for Carlton) so probably only players from the last 10 years really count.

1. Judd
    2. Fev
    3. Kouta
    4. Murphy
    5. Simpson

Had seen Silvangi play but never live and never enough for me to justify him on the list. Fevola could turn games on his head at such ease and while plenty compare WCE Judd to Carlton Judd I've still never been in such awe as far as I can remember! Nearly chucked Scotland on but I probably knew he really wasn't in the top 5
    I think you're maybe selling Kouta a bit short. would have him well ahead of Fev. Kouta was a specimen and a half
    TEX WALKER. that is all.

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    305 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by favourites View Post
    Top 5 of the pies

1. Scott Pendlebury
    2. Nathan Buckley
    3. Dane Swan
    4. James Clement
    5. Gavin Brown

1/2 is very hard to split for me. Prob pendles as he's been in more winning sides shines for me.
    Gavin Brown would be near #1 for me on that list. he was a super, super player
    TEX WALKER. that is all.

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    305 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Best Carlton players I've seen?

Bradley
    Diesel
    Kernaghan
    Ratten
    Rhys-Jones

~ edit ~ had ratten at no.3 over sticks, and 5 minutes after the madness passed I realised that was bone arsed stupid.
    Last edited by Crow-mo; 10th July 2015 at 01:50 AM.
    TEX WALKER. that is all.

Team
    COLLINGWOOD
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    431 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Twitter Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Crow-mo View Post
    Gavin Brown would be near #1 for me on that list. he was a super, super player
    Being 28 I missed most of his best footy. Caught enough at the end to know he was something special.
    - twitter @mammes

5. Likes Bert1, Crow-mo liked this post
    Team
    CARLTON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you're maybe selling Kouta a bit short. would have him well ahead of Fev. Kouta was a specimen and a half
    I barely remember him, was too young, but everything I do remember was awesome.
    AFL Twitter --------------------------- This post is SC related--------------------------Movie Twitter

7. Likes Crow-mo liked this post
    Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    674 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Athomas View Post
    I barely remember him, was too young, but everything I do remember was awesome.
    Would you say that he is Tom Bell-esque, or is that probably overstating it?

(you idiot Bruce, get your hand off it)
    Never bet against Tom Rockliff

9. Likes Athomas, Devo liked this post
    Team
    WESTERN BULLDOGS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

1. Chris Grant

Five points and a suspension away from back-to-back Brownlows. If that other bloke named Carey wasn't around as well, he'd be regarded by more as one of the greatest of the past 20 years.

Close to the most complete key position player I've seen play. Kicked 50 as a 17-year-old, yet played a lot of his best footy as a CHB. The best reader of the play I've seen, a brilliant mark, and his consistency for a tall bloke was outstanding. Not only the best I've seen, but will probably remain my favourite player of all-time.

2. Brad Johnson

Pretty close between he and West, but his ability to turn a game gets him the nod. Could play any position forward of centre, which is pretty remarkable for a mid-sized player. Lost a lot in the last couple of years of his career, but prior to that he was an amazing footballer.

3. Scott West

In terms of consistency, the best I've seen. It's a shame how his career ended, but he had the second-best hands I've seen in close (behind Simon black). Only query over him was that when he was locked-down well, he really struggled to influence. The best midfielder I've seen at the club, which is saying something.

4. Adam Cooney

His Brownlow year was the best footy I've seen from a Dogs player outside of Grant. Had he strung a few more years together, he'd be number two on the list. Like West, a dodgy knee was his kryptonite, but prior to that he was a joy to watch. His 2007-2010 was very underrated IMO, which is rare for a guy who's won a Brownlow.

5. Robert Murphy

In terms of career output, not among the best I've seen, but this year has pretty much put him in here. Has galvanised the club while playing career-best footy. Similar to Grant in that he's become one of the most-loved players in recent times, and given the off-season we've recently had, it's why he's at number five.

Rohan Smith, Ryan Griffen (the best finals performer I've seen at the club), Luke Darcy, Matthew Boyd and Daniel Cross could have snuck in at number five.

11. Likes Bert1, Devo, dylan123 liked this post
    Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    590 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lifelike_ View Post
    The best reader of the play I've seen, a brilliant mark.
    The guys that used to make AFL live wouldn't disagree either. When I used to play AFL live 2003/2004 (around that), used to play my brother a lot who went for the Dogs and no matter what, Chris Grant always took the ****ing mark. The bloke could have been 5 men behind the pack but the ball would always finish in his hands regardless - used to drive me crazy

13. Likes Devo liked this post
    Team
    MELBOURNE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    466 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kouta was 20 years ahead of his time. The league at that time was not ready for someone like him. He'd fit in pretty nicely now as the biggest of big-bodied midfielders but back then he was a freak.
    #teamANB

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    899 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Haha in AT's defense he probably only saw post knee injury Kouta who was an absolute shadow of the beast he was before that. It would be like if a Swans fan did a list only watching Goodes for the last 4 years when he has lost a fair bit of his athletic ability (and Goodes hasn't lost nearly as much as Kouta did) and wonder what the hype is really about and both Kouta and Goodes used their size and extreme athletic ability to dominate and when you took half of that away they are shadows.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben the Gooner View Post
    Would you say that he is Tom Bell-esque, or is that probably overstating it?

(you idiot Bruce, get your hand off it)
    To be fair, the Kouta that AT probably can remember wasn't that much different to Bell. Wouldn't have been much more athletic or finding any more of the ball or using it any better.

And you know I hate Bruce so I'm not trying to defend him here (Bell does move and is built a lot like him though).

Quote Originally Posted by Devo View Post
    Kouta was 20 years ahead of his time. The league at that time was not ready for someone like him. He'd fit in pretty nicely now as the biggest of big-bodied midfielders but back then he was a freak.
    Fyfe is as close to Kouta 2.0 as we will find for mine. Same sort of size, athletic ability and marking and hands, even the somewhat dodgy kicking. Fyfe just is fitter and finds more pill and is a better defensive player (as most modern players are).

Kouta really was a beast, he'd have thrived in the modern contested style even more than the scraggy 90s where he was able to be held back a bit.

Looking at the Dogs ones, can't help but feel like Murphy is getting them off field feels with his position on the lists, very good player who has certainly gotten better as he has aged (could justify it with another few seasons like this one) but I'm taking Grant, Johnson and West ahead of him for certain and I'd be taking Rohan Smith as a rebounding defender as well, throw in Wynd, Darcy (opposite of Murphy character wise!), Griffen, Cooney, Morris, Lake and even Boyd I think were probably better more consistent players than him. He would be in the 5 favourite Dogs though, one of the great characters of the game but not sure he is in the top 5 players they've had.

It's interesting how the time frames shape it. AT's Blues is probably the classic example in that he was 3 names that wouldn't sniff my list but are perfectly justifiable on his list!
    The Truck is driving the Fish Shack in 2018... Christian Petracca is my boy!

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    674 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wogitalia View Post
    To be fair, the Kouta that AT probably can remember wasn't that much different to Bell. Wouldn't have been much more athletic or finding any more of the ball or using it any better.

And you know I hate Bruce so I'm not trying to defend him here (Bell does move and is built a lot like him though).
    Haha, it was 100% a dig at Bruce only, not Kouta who singlehandedly brought me to tears in 1999 or Bell who seems like a pretty limited player getting every ounce of ability out of himself.

As for Fyfe, I can certainly see Kouta in him, but the comparison I keep coming back to is Hird - he has that knack of just making things work, the floaters that hit a target no one else saw, and especially the way he pack marks.

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    899 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Quote Originally Posted by Ben the Gooner View Post
    Haha, it was 100% a dig at Bruce only, not Kouta who singlehandedly brought me to tears in 1999 or Bell who seems like a pretty limited player getting every ounce of ability out of himself.

As for Fyfe, I can certainly see Kouta in him, but the comparison I keep coming back to is Hird - he has that knack of just making things work, the floaters that hit a target no one else saw, and especially the way he pack marks.

But mostly the hair, right?
    The Truck is driving the Fish Shack in 2018... Christian Petracca is my boy!

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    674 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

Doesn't have the ears though.

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    305 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

this is the difference between FFC & BF. here we celebrate the players of other teams, instead of beavis & butthead guffawing ' naw he's shit'
    TEX WALKER. that is all.

20. Likes Bert1, Big Sledge #32 liked this post
    FFC Senior Assistant Coach Blues_FC's Avatar
    Team
    CARLTON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Moved from Sydney to Melb in '87 when I was 8 years old and jumped on the Blues bandwagon after we won the GF. Saw us in our prime at the 95 GF and have been through ups (and mainly downs) since.

Best players IMO:

#1 Fev

#2 Diesel

#3 Judd

#4 Kouta

#5 Silvagni
    [Sam Gray - my boy for 2016]

22. Likes Athomas liked this post