Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    899 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Re: The 5 best players you've seen at your club

Quote Originally Posted by hendo8888 View Post
    I'm assuming with those 2 names that you mean West Indies players?
    There's a little guy from India who was at the very least 99% as good as Lara was.
    Tendulkar was as good a player as Lara but he was no where near as fun to watch, imo. He was still a hell of a lot better to watch than guys like Clark or Ponting though.
    The Truck is driving the Fish Shack in 2018... Christian Petracca is my boy!

Team
    MELBOURNE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    466 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kangamagic View Post
    Growing up watching North play had its moments especially in the 80's and seeing them on TV made me want to see them live even more. On TV I would watch players like Matthew Larkin, Schimma, John Law, met one of the Krakouer brothers at a footy clinic in about grade 4 and I think it was Phil and not Jim.
    Back in those days you didn't get to met the high profile players at the clinics so I never got to see Larkin or Schimma. The gun players seemed to have had proper jobs so they got the fringe type players to do the clinics, times have changed and its great that all players do it as part of their contract where kids get to see the star players.

I didn't get to see North play live until I was in my teenage years which was when the team really got going and were Starting to become a force in the 90's.

my top 5 players seeing live were:
    1. Wayne Carey
    2. Glenn Archer
    3. Brent Harvey
    4. Anthony Stevens
    5. Brett Allison

So many players to consider almost put Longmire in there as o e of our best forwards behind Carey in that time they both had great careers. Wayne Schwass was another I was shattered when we traded him to the Swans but it turned out alright having Shannon Grant run around who was a very smart player as a mid/forward type.
    Carey was on another level. The best player I've seen during my time on the planet.
    #teamANB

3. Likes Crow-mo, Kangamagic liked this post
    Team
    COLLINGWOOD
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    431 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Twitter Poster

Top 5 of the pies

1. Scott Pendlebury
    2. Nathan Buckley
    3. Dane Swan
    4. James Clement
    5. Gavin Brown

1/2 is very hard to split for me. Prob pendles as he's been in more winning sides shines for me.
    - twitter @mammes

5. Likes Crow-mo, Devo, Bert1 liked this post
    Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Top 5 for me

Matthew Lloyd
    James Hird
    Dustin Fletcher
    Mark Mercuri
    Scott Lucas
    Twitter Damion23

7. Likes Devo liked this post
    Team
    COLLINGWOOD
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by favourites View Post
    Top 5 of the pies

1. Scott Pendlebury
    2. Nathan Buckley
    3. Dane Swan
    4. James Clement
    5. Gavin Brown

1/2 is very hard to split for me. Prob pendles as he's been in more winning sides shines for me.
    Wow very similar opinions on this one mate. Same 5 names & also agree that by the end of his career Pendles will most likely switch to number 1 with Bucks. Other than that pretty much exactly the same.
    The eBert era is over

9. Likes favourites liked this post
    FFC Senior Assistant Coach Knight Ryders's Avatar
    Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Cracker thread

1. Hirdy - influenced games like no other when the game was on the line. Also much harder than people gave him credit for.

2. Tim Watson

3. Mercuri - silk

4. Lloyd

5. Fletcher

Lucas the most unlucky - story of his life. How did he not win an AA I will never know!

I have vague memories of Madden, Van der Haar, Baker and the like but not enough to categorically judge them! I reckon Madden must have been some sort of player!!!

Of the new breed to young to judge, Heppell on his way to a being a HOF and I truly think Zach Merrett is going to be something special.
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/Knight_Ryders

2014 Prediction: Freo and Dangerfield to dominate the AFL

11. Likes Bert1, Damion23, Wheedus, Devo liked this post
    Team
    GEELONG
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    438 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

1. Ablett Snr
    2. Ablett Jnr
    3. Matthew Scarlett
    4. Jimmy Bartel
    5. Corey Enright

Honourable mentions to Max Rooke (probably my favourite Cat), Couchy, Buddha, Corey, Taylor and Chappy.
    Zach Tuohy my boy for 2017!

13. Likes Bert1 liked this post
    Team
    WESTERN BULLDOGS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    337 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Such a tough question. Especially weighing up players that you saw when young compared to as an adult. That being said..

1. Doug Hawkins. Whilst I was too young to remember him before his knee injury, the second half of his career is the best football I've ever seen a bulldog play. Gave me a reason to love football and a reason to empty out the piggy bank and head to the Western Oval in '89.
    2. Chris Grant. 2,3 and 4 could really be in any order but like a recruiter, I have to go KPP first . Probably unfairly compared to Carey for much of his career, like MacGill with Warne.
    3. Brad Johnson. Gets the nod over West due to his ability both as a midfielder and as a forward. For sheer output he would be #1 but that's not what we're judging.
    4. Scott West. Certainly the most consistent ball winner I've seen at the club. 7 B&F a testament to that.
    5. Robert Murphy. Could've been 5-6 players named here but there's something about Bob and just the way he moves and kicks the ball that's just a joy to watch. Completely different in so many ways to Hawkins but also the player that most reminds me of him.

Team
    MELBOURNE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    466 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by divvydan View Post
    Such a tough question. Especially weighing up players that you saw when young compared to as an adult. That being said..

1. Doug Hawkins. Whilst I was too young to remember him before his knee injury, the second half of his career is the best football I've ever seen a bulldog play. Gave me a reason to love football and a reason to empty out the piggy bank and head to the Western Oval in '89.
    2. Chris Grant. 2,3 and 4 could really be in any order but like a recruiter, I have to go KPP first . Probably unfairly compared to Carey for much of his career, like MacGill with Warne.
    3. Brad Johnson. Gets the nod over West due to his ability both as a midfielder and as a forward. For sheer output he would be #1 but that's not what we're judging.
    4. Scott West. Certainly the most consistent ball winner I've seen at the club. 7 B&F a testament to that.
    5. Robert Murphy. Could've been 5-6 players named here but there's something about Bob and just the way he moves and kicks the ball that's just a joy to watch. Completely different in so many ways to Hawkins but also the player that most reminds me of him.
    Nailed it. This is what the thread is all about.
    #teamANB

16. Likes Ben the Gooner liked this post
    Team
    MELBOURNE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    466 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ben the Gooner View Post
    Thinking back to players from the early 90s, I reckon there's a category of players in which only maybe 4 modern players fall.

How many guys can you think of that can make this list for two clubs based on their time at that club only (i.e. not like Goddard, although if this CAS stuff keeps dragging on, he might become an all time Essendon legend simply for his leadership in a crisis)?

I can think of Gavin Wanganeen, Chris Judd, Gary Ablett and Tony Lockett.

I think we got the best of Wanga while Port got most of him.
    Those 4 are spot on, Ben.

I propose to add Greg Williams to your list for his days at Sydney and Carlton, but this could very easily be debated. He is a fascinating player.

The pros: He was probably the most naturally gifted footballer in the modern era, despite having no athletic talent or tank. He was Sam Mitchell before Sam Mitchell. He remains the best handballer the game has ever seen. It wasn't unusual for him to deliver 30 metre bullets out of a pack with his non-preferred hand to a teammate's advantage, they were as good as kicks. His influence on games was profound and he attracted heavy tags, which he usually managed to punch through (sometimes literally). A Brownlow winner at both Sydney and Carlton and he finished 2nd and 3rd in the voting in other seasons, which is pretty amazing in the context of his career. Also a AFLPA MVP at Sydney and Carlton. He was a Norm Smith medallist for Carlton in 1995. He was inducted into the Halls of Fame and Teams of the Century for Carlton, Sydney and the AFL. He co-owns with GAJ the record for most disposals in a game with 53 touches, but note that he also kicked 6 goals in that game! Nice day at the office.

The cons: For all his talents as a footballer, he was an extremely divisive figure. He was a test case for the AFL's racial abuse rules. He often verbally abused and occasionally manhandled umpires. He knowingly rorted the salary cap and he was deregistered for half a season. He loved the biff - he was suspended 12 times for a total of 34 weeks. He took the AFL to court to appeal a 9-week suspension for pushing an umpire because there was no internal appeals process at that time (and he's the reason why there is an appeals process now). And so it goes on. I can't imagine how he would've gone had he played today. Social media and saturation media coverage would've probably shortened his career considerably. Despite his greatness as a player, he didn't win many B&Fs - one at Geelong in his early days, none at Sydney and one at Carlton.
    #teamANB

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    674 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

Yeah, Diesel is a good shout. Looking at Wogi and Athomas's lists, there's definitely room for him in both.
    Never bet against Tom Rockliff

FFC Agent of Chaos Big Sledge #32's Avatar
    Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    579 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Athomas's list is basically from 2000 onwards. If we're going back to the Williams era then Bradley, Kernahan & SOS start kicking names to the kurb and it becomes a lot tougher for him.
    Baltimore Ravens Superbowl XLVII Champions
    Quote Originally Posted by Narkee View Post
    SC only

#AgentOfChaos

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    899 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Doesn't help Diesel's case that there are only about 3 people on here who actually saw his whole career.

He certainly has a case though on both clubs.
    The Truck is driving the Fish Shack in 2018... Christian Petracca is my boy!

FFC Agent of Chaos Big Sledge #32's Avatar
    Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    579 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wogitalia View Post
    Doesn't help Diesel's case that there are only about 3 people on here who actually saw his whole career.

He certainly has a case though on both clubs.
    Greg did win his first Brownlow 3 years before I was born so there isn't a lot I could do about that
    Baltimore Ravens Superbowl XLVII Champions
    Quote Originally Posted by Narkee View Post
    SC only

#AgentOfChaos

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    674 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sledge #32 View Post
    Athomas's list is basically from 2000 onwards. If we're going back to the Williams era then Bradley, Kernahan & SOS start kicking names to the kurb and it becomes a lot tougher for him.
    Add Ratten and possibly even Campo to that list.

That being said, Murphy and Simpson don't even enter the discussion when the 1995 team is involved, so it's only Judd, Fev and Kouta from AT's time that get in these guys' way.
    Never bet against Tom Rockliff

23. Likes Big Sledge #32 liked this post