0 Thread(s)

Re: The 5 best players you've seen at your club

Showing my age here a bit

1. Tim Watson
    2. Fletch
    3. Hird
    4. Jobe Watson
    5. Leon Baker

No.5 will obviously raise an eyebrow or two but on the basis this is an exercise in subjective opinion, then I can't go past Bakes. Only played 80 odd games but the '84 GF is one of my favourite footy moments and he played a big part in that win and '85 as well.

This article from Rohan Connolly from earlier in the year is worth a read.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-new...09-1mhc53.html
    Proud coach of Big Jenny Talia FFC
    SC 2013 - 11th
    SC 2014
    - 16th
    SC 2015 and beyond - foetal position

"Yonnies in the wind, we're ruggin' up for winter"

2. Likes Devo, Knight Ryders liked this post
    Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    899 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Quote Originally Posted by Nothing View Post
    Fremantle has one of the easier ones, where 3-4 of the names pick themselves. In order of games played the top 4 are:
    Pavlich
    McPharlin
    Sandilands
    Fyfe

The fifth then becomes a raffle amongst the likes of Bell, Mundy, Hasleby, Clem Michael, etc. The likes of Farmer, Headland, Modra, Black all played better footy elsewhere.
    Fletcher and Kickett probably both deserve a mention also.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben the Gooner View Post
    Thinking back to players from the early 90s, I reckon there's a category of players in which only maybe 4 modern players fall.

How many guys can you think of that can make this list for two clubs based on their time at that club only (i.e. not like Goddard, although if this CAS stuff keeps dragging on, he might become an all time Essendon legend simply for his leadership in a crisis)?

I can think of Gavin Wanganeen, Chris Judd, Gary Ablett and Tony Lockett.

I think we got the best of Wanga while Port got most of him.
    Diesel Williams would certainly have a case at both Sydney and Carlton as another.

Before it's all said and done Buddy will probably join the list.

Wayne Schwass is in the ball park for both Sydney and North (god we have a lot of contenders!)

And because Sydney didn't have enough... Paul Roos also.

Lynch is at least a contender for Fitzroy and Brisbane, as would be Chris Johnson.

Quote Originally Posted by dylan123 View Post
    Brisbane's one would be very interesting given the sort of players they had running around in the early 00's - Aker, Voss, Brown, Black, Lappin all come to mind and there are a number of others I'm sure would be worthy of a mention/possibly ahead of one of these guys?
    Would think that Voss is the lock at the top. Black and Brown are both personal locks. Aker might be the most talented of them all as well. Then you get the likes of Lappin, Leppitsch, Michael, Lynch, Johnson and Power at the very least.

Now for Sydney... this is a seriously tough one, imo.

The tough part is drawing the distinction of best player and best career. For example probably none of Buddy, Roos or Lockett really belong on their Swans careers but you'd be hard pressed to argue they aren't in the best 5 we've had. I've personally tried to balance it out a bit...

1. Paul Kelly - One of the best I've ever seen, I'm biased but I still think he's the best pure midfielder I've seen. Unfortunately he was cut down in his prime by injuries and never sustained it like so many others of that era. Not to mention still the best leader I've seen in the game.

2. Adam Goodes - This is a tough one. I don't think he is actually in our 5 best players but he has almost certainly had the best career as a Swan. Having said that he also is/was an outstanding player and his very best was absurdly good.

3. Tony Lockett - Was only short but he is the best forward I've seen and his impact was still profound. Better than Hall or Buddy even if they'll end up staying longer.

4. Ted Richards - Roos, Bolton and Dunkley may have been better but Richards has been an elite defender for almost a decade now for us and is still getting it done.

5. Barry Hall - Was a great player for us for a very long time, sad how it ended but no doubting what he meant to us.

That leaves out Kirk, Buddy, Cresswell, Schwass, Kennedy, Parker (on his way rapidly), Buddy, Bolton, Roos, Dunkley, McVeigh, O'Keefe, O'Loughlin, Jack and Bolton as names who were all worth contenders. To be honest only Kelly at #1 is not up in the air for mine. Don't think there'd be many tougher lists where you have less locks and more options.
    The Truck is driving the Fish Shack in 2018... Christian Petracca is my boy!

4. Likes Devo liked this post
    Team
    COLLINGWOOD
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kinda tough with the Pies because through my time in the 90's & 00's up until recently i has pretty much been a 'one superstar' & solid team around him club. So here goes.

1: Nathan Buckley
    2: Scott Pendlebury
    3: James Clement
    4: Dane Swan
    5: Hard to split Gavin Brown/Alan Didak. Both totally different players with Dids best being better but probably seeing more overall quantity wise with Brown.
    The eBert era is over

6. Likes Devo liked this post
    Team
    MELBOURNE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    466 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bert1 View Post
    Kinda tough with the Pies because through my time in the 90's & 00's up until recently i has pretty much been a 'one superstar' & solid team around him club. So here goes.

1: Nathan Buckley
    2: Scott Pendlebury
    3: James Clement
    4: Dane Swan
    5: Hard to split Gavin Brown/Alan Didak. Both totally different players with Dids best being better but probably seeing more overall quantity wise with Brown.
    God I love seeing James Clement on that list. Great footballer.
    #teamANB

8. Likes Bert1, Crow-mo liked this post
    Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    305 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

For me (in order)

1. McLeod
    2. Shaun Rehn
    3. Riccuito
    4. Nigel Smart
    5. Tony Modra

most underrated: John Klug, Mark Stevens
    TEX WALKER. that is all.

10. Likes Devo liked this post
    FFC Senior Assistant Coach hendo8888's Avatar
    Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sledge #32 View Post
    If we're counting their time at other clubs Wayne Carey would have to get a gig in the Crows list

Alas I'll just count their contributions to AFC.

1) Ricciuto
    2) McLeod
    3) Modra
    4) Jarman
    5) Goodwin

Those unlucky to miss out are Edwards, Hart, Rehn, Rutten & Thompson.

I find it incredibly hard to separate McLeod & Roo as the years go on. I feel like Roo was the better player by less than an inch, but we miss McLeod so much more.
    Agreed. But I personally have Hart over Goodwin at 5 (personal preference, Goodwin/Edwards/Hart/Rehn could all go there). McLeod vs Riccuito are 1A and 1B. Depends on the day which way I go.
    I honestly think Dangerfield has the tools to make this list if he stays.
    This post was more than likely SC based.
    If in doubt, assume it was.

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    899 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Quote Originally Posted by hendo8888 View Post
    Agreed. But I personally have Hart over Goodwin at 5 (personal preference, Goodwin/Edwards/Hart/Rehn could all go there). McLeod vs Riccuito are 1A and 1B. Depends on the day which way I go.
    I honestly think Dangerfield has the tools to make this list if he stays.
    Rehn was absolutely amazing, such a shame he was just destroyed by the knee injuries though, might have been the best ruckman I've seen at his best.

I think that all of Danger, Sloane, Talia, Jacobs and Walker are good enough to push that list if things went well for them and they can stay on the park and continue to improve.

I'd personally have McLeod as a clear 1 on my list but I think he is one of the very best I've seen period. Right up there with Ablett (both), Lockett, Kelly, Matera, Carey, Buckley and Judd as the best players I've watched as far as pure ability to just tear a game to shreds and there is just nothing you could do about it.
    Last edited by Wogitalia; 7th July 2015 at 11:14 PM.

13. Likes Bunga liked this post
    Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    305 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wogitalia View Post
    Rehn was absolutely amazing, such a shame he was just destroyed by the knee injuries though, might have been the best ruckman I've seen at his best.

I think that all of Danger, Sloane, Talia, Jacobs and Walker are good enough to push that list if things went well for them and they can stay on the park and continue to improve.

I'd personally have McLeod as a clear 1 on my list but I think he is one of the very best I've seen period. Right up there with Ablett (both), Lockett, Kelly, Matera, Carey, Buckley and Judd as the best players I've watched as far as pure ability to just tear a game to shreds and there is just nothing you could do about it.
    agree on McLeod, we're splitting hairs but I don't think its close between him and any other player we've had. pure jet. people forget he alos won the medal for a pre-season cup we won one year. he played 3 grand finals, 2 x day, 1 x night - BOG in all 3. that's mind boggling. So we're talking about a big game player of the highest order, who is also pure jet. that's some combination.

In a lot of ways he reminds me of Brian Lara, in that people might argue that X or Y was as good/better etc. but the thing that made Lara unique was his ability to dominate and be literally unplayable. not always, not even often enough sometimes, but when Brian came to play, when he brought it, he was as unplayable as any player in the half century. McLeod was like that, an ability to be literally unplayable. Ablett Snr (who was far from the best I've seen due to some flaws in his game) was the only other guy who literally unplayable on his day. He could not be stopped. However, he was selfish and didn't bring others into the game. That's what McLeod a rare beast his ability to dominate and create.

McLeod had parts of Michael Long and Peter Matera. He had Long's jets, silky skills and ability to burn you outside, whilst also Matera's ability to be strong in the contest, overhead, and kick the long goal. Long cut you up, Matera tore you up. Both were outside guys only pretty much (awesome mind you), but McLeod could get inside and dance through the stoppage. Shame he played near his entire career with a degenerative knee condition, bone on bone. did he have more to give?

all that said, he's not the best mid I've seen. that's Voss. Hands down.
    TEX WALKER. that is all.

15. Likes Bunga liked this post
    Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would have loved to see Modra at his best. Scary to think he never really reached his true potential.
    Never argue with a fool. They'll drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If there was an award for the best running action in AFL, McLeod wins hands down. The guy used to float on air. The only player to come close in recent times is Brad Hill.
    Proud coach of Big Jenny Talia FFC
    SC 2013 - 11th
    SC 2014
    - 16th
    SC 2015 and beyond - foetal position

"Yonnies in the wind, we're ruggin' up for winter"

18. Likes Bunga liked this post
    Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    899 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Quote Originally Posted by Crow-mo View Post
    agree on McLeod, we're splitting hairs but I don't think its close between him and any other player we've had. pure jet. people forget he alos won the medal for a pre-season cup we won one year. he played 3 grand finals, 2 x day, 1 x night - BOG in all 3. that's mind boggling. So we're talking about a big game player of the highest order, who is also pure jet. that's some combination.

In a lot of ways he reminds me of Brian Lara, in that people might argue that X or Y was as good/better etc. but the thing that made Lara unique was his ability to dominate and be literally unplayable. not always, not even often enough sometimes, but when Brian came to play, when he brought it, he was as unplayable as any player in the half century. McLeod was like that, an ability to be literally unplayable. Ablett Snr (who was far from the best I've seen due to some flaws in his game) was the only other guy who literally unplayable on his day. He could not be stopped. However, he was selfish and didn't bring others into the game. That's what McLeod a rare beast his ability to dominate and create.

McLeod had parts of Michael Long and Peter Matera. He had Long's jets, silky skills and ability to burn you outside, whilst also Matera's ability to be strong in the contest, overhead, and kick the long goal. Long cut you up, Matera tore you up. Both were outside guys only pretty much (awesome mind you), but McLeod could get inside and dance through the stoppage. Shame he played near his entire career with a degenerative knee condition, bone on bone. did he have more to give?

all that said, he's not the best mid I've seen. that's Voss. Hands down.
    Further to that, I'd say only Matera is close to as good to watch at full flight which is the same as Lara, the very tail end of Viv Richards and perhaps Chris Gayle are the only cricketers I've ever watched that were even 50% as good to watch as Lara.

You didn't even mention that he was 3rd, 2nd, 6th and 10th in the Brownlow for basically the 4 years where he was still fit enough to play midfield and into his prime. Not a bad effort.

The fact he went from completely elite midfielder and then morphed into one of the 2 best small defenders I've seen for another half a decade after that is just a sign of how good he really was.

20. Likes Bunga liked this post
    Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    899 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Quote Originally Posted by Wheedus View Post
    If there was an award for the best running action in AFL, McLeod wins hands down. The guy used to float on air. The only player to come close in recent times is Brad Hill.
    I think a large part of why Jetta frustrates me so much is that he moves and kicks so much like McLeod, like he is physically the closest to it.

Of course he is one of the softest I've ever seen and I'd back McLeod to come out of retirement and still cover more ground tomorrow degenerative knees and all, but in short bursts when someone else wins him the ball, Jetta sure does move like McLeod.

If only he cared about football

22. Likes Crow-mo liked this post
    Team
    CARLTON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I probably didn't start following Carlton until early 00's (well, I watched the 99 prelim as an 8 year old and after we won that one I decided to barrack for Carlton) so probably only players from the last 10 years really count.

1. Judd
    2. Fev
    3. Kouta
    4. Murphy
    5. Simpson

Had seen Silvangi play but never live and never enough for me to justify him on the list. Fevola could turn games on his head at such ease and while plenty compare WCE Judd to Carlton Judd I've still never been in such awe as far as I can remember! Nearly chucked Scotland on but I probably knew he really wasn't in the top 5
    AFL Twitter --------------------------- This post is SC related--------------------------Movie Twitter

24. Likes Devo liked this post
    FFC Senior Assistant Coach hendo8888's Avatar
    Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wogitalia View Post
    Further to that, I'd say only Matera is close to as good to watch at full flight which is the same as Lara, the very tail end of Viv Richards and perhaps Chris Gayle are the only cricketers I've ever watched that were even 50% as good to watch as Lara.
    I'm assuming with those 2 names that you mean West Indies players?
    There's a little guy from India who was at the very least 99% as good as Lara was.
    This post was more than likely SC based.
    If in doubt, assume it was.

Team
    NORTH MELBOURNE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Awards Fyfe Award - for outstanding contributions

Growing up watching North play had its moments especially in the 80's and seeing them on TV made me want to see them live even more. On TV I would watch players like Matthew Larkin, Schimma, John Law, met one of the Krakouer brothers at a footy clinic in about grade 4 and I think it was Phil and not Jim.
    Back in those days you didn't get to met the high profile players at the clinics so I never got to see Larkin or Schimma. The gun players seemed to have had proper jobs so they got the fringe type players to do the clinics, times have changed and its great that all players do it as part of their contract where kids get to see the star players.

I didn't get to see North play live until I was in my teenage years which was when the team really got going and were Starting to become a force in the 90's.

my top 5 players seeing live were:
    1. Wayne Carey
    2. Glenn Archer
    3. Brent Harvey
    4. Anthony Stevens
    5. Brett Allison

So many players to consider almost put Longmire in there as o e of our best forwards behind Carey in that time they both had great careers. Wayne Schwass was another I was shattered when we traded him to the Swans but it turned out alright having Shannon Grant run around who was a very smart player as a mid/forward type.
    Matt Crouch is my boy for 2016 season, can he dominate 2016? time will tell....................

27. Likes Devo, Bert1 liked this post