Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    899 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Re: The 5 best players you've seen at your club

Quote Originally Posted by Blues_FC View Post
    Moved from Sydney to Melb in '87 when I was 8 years old and jumped on the Blues bandwagon after we won the GF. Saw us in our prime at the 95 GF and have been through ups (and mainly downs) since.

Best players IMO:

#1 Fev

#2 Diesel

#3 Judd

#4 Kouta

#5 Silvagni
    Very interesting one given the time frame.

For mine I'd have had the Blues like this...

1. Silvagni - Was the pretty much unquestioned best FB in the league in an era of phenomenal full backs, the scary thing is he was probably a better KPF than just about anyone as well the times he went forward. I still have memories of games he'd go forward and kick 5 and look like he'd played FF his whole career. One of my very earliest memories is a game against the Eagles (no idea what year but I'd say like 93 or earlier) where I can just remember McIntosh looking helpless all game with this bewildered "wtf is happening" type look.
    2. Bradley - Probably aided by playing for so long that it felt like he was one of the best midfielders in the league for my entire childhood.
    3. Kernahan - Hurt by me really only catching the tail end of his career (the same reason I've left Diesel off, my memory of him is basically the umpire incident with a tiny bit of football). What I remember of Kernahan is he always felt like the guy who could shred a game open, one of the few players I remember from my childhood who invoked fear.
    4. Kouta - Was scary good. He was the 90s standard of Fyfe, said it already in this thread. As @Devo said, Kouta is a guy who you could have ripped out of the late 90s, thrown into a modern preseason and he'd probably be an even better player first game out, not a lot of the 90's guys you can say that about.
    5. Judd - I think he is only just on the list but I don't think he was half the player with the Blues that he was with the Eagles (his whole career is required for his greatness). I still don't think he has been that much better than Murphy over the same time period with the Blues. That said, his league wide achievements get him on here.

Ratten, Camporeale (a guy I hated, which is a good sign you were good), Madden, McKay, Fev, Murphy, Diesel and Matthew Allan are all worthy of noting also.

The Saints would be a very interesting one to discuss, they've had some seriously great players.

Lockett (most didn't see his Saints career on here), Loewe, Everitt, Harvey, Burke, Winmar, Hayes, Riewoldt, Goddard, Milne, Dal Santo, Fisher, Gehrig and Jones are all guys who have cases from my time watching. Genuine case that Hayes isn't on the list actually which is a pretty massive statement.
    The Truck is driving the Fish Shack in 2018... Christian Petracca is my boy!

2. Likes Devo liked this post
    Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    590 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

What Jones is that meant to be? I can only think of Clinton and I'm sure as hell that can't be right.

FFC Football Operations Manager Nothing's Avatar
    Team
    FREMANTLE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    345 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dylan123 View Post
    What Jones is that meant to be? I can only think of Clinton and I'm sure as hell that can't be right.
    Austin?

Team
    COLLINGWOOD
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah Aussie Jones I'd assume
    The eBert era is over

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    899 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Certainly Aussie Jones Was a great little player, probably not in the class of all the others I listed but still wanted to give him a mention!

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    674 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Twitter Poster

Interesting that you bring up Matty Allen, @Wogitalia , because although I don't really remember his Carlton days too well, it always infuriates me that he gets lumped in with the Zantuck, Alvey, Murphy, Cole etc. recruits from the early 2000s, because he was a perfect recruit for us. We had Hille and Laycock developing and Barnes and Alessio retiring, so it was the perfect stopgap option.

I was a big fan of the Camporeale signing for the same reason.
    Never bet against Tom Rockliff

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    674 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Twitter Poster

For St Kilda, I'd probably have it as:

1. Goddard - he was the best player in the comp in a brief window between Judd and Ablett
    2. Riewoldt - ridiculously good for so long
    3. Milne - best player in his position in the last 20 odd years
    4. Harvey - obviously a champion, but in these sorts of lists I'm biased towards champions with a bit extra, so Harvey gets marked down a little
    5. Hayes - was very tempted to leave him out for Burke, which as you say is a massive statement about how many good players they've had, but couldn't bring myself to do it.
    Never bet against Tom Rockliff

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    899 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Quote Originally Posted by Ben the Gooner View Post
    For St Kilda, I'd probably have it as:

1. Goddard - he was the best player in the comp in a brief window between Judd and Ablett
    2. Riewoldt - ridiculously good for so long
    3. Milne - best player in his position in the last 20 odd years
    4. Harvey - obviously a champion, but in these sorts of lists I'm biased towards champions with a bit extra, so Harvey gets marked down a little
    5. Hayes - was very tempted to leave him out for Burke, which as you say is a massive statement about how many good players they've had, but couldn't bring myself to do it.

The extra few years probably influence me a bit but Harvey would be my clear #1 for the Saints, injuries kind of ravaged him and took away continuity later in his career but his best was in the best few players I've seen. His prime was like a more attacking version of Ablett Jr in how he could find and use the ball in any situation, didn't sustain it as long as Gazza has but I'd have said his best was better than Ablett's for a comparison. I'd say Harvey and Kelly were the two best midfielders from the 90s as inside/outside players that I saw, both didn't sustain their peaks for long (Harvey had an outstandingly long career but he wasn't nearly the same player after his hamstrings started to go). I still think if I could pick any midfielder I've seen to have one season of it would be Kelly.

Riewoldt and Leowe probably take 2 and 3 for me (I basically didn't see Lockett at St Kilda). Would then be a battle between Hayes, Goddard, Milne, Montagna (the forgotten member almost), Burke and probably Everitt make up the group for me. Picking 2 of them is genuinely hard.

10. Likes Ben the Gooner liked this post
    Team
    WESTERN BULLDOGS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    337 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wogitalia View Post
    The extra few years probably influence me a bit but Harvey would be my clear #1 for the Saints, injuries kind of ravaged him and took away continuity later in his career but his best was in the best few players I've seen. His prime was like a more attacking version of Ablett Jr in how he could find and use the ball in any situation, didn't sustain it as long as Gazza has but I'd have said his best was better than Ablett's for a comparison. I'd say Harvey and Kelly were the two best midfielders from the 90s as inside/outside players that I saw, both didn't sustain their peaks for long (Harvey had an outstandingly long career but he wasn't nearly the same player after his hamstrings started to go). I still think if I could pick any midfielder I've seen to have one season of it would be Kelly.

Riewoldt and Leowe probably take 2 and 3 for me (I basically didn't see Lockett at St Kilda). Would then be a battle between Hayes, Goddard, Milne, Montagna (the forgotten member almost), Burke and probably Everitt make up the group for me. Picking 2 of them is genuinely hard.
    Lockett is the tough one. I did get to see him play for St Kilda but only a few games as in those days you really only saw players when they played against you team (plus highlights on tv) . Still think of him more as a Sydney player. Would agree with Loewe being up there, although I have him a little further down. I would also add Winmar to the group under consideration.

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    899 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Quote Originally Posted by divvydan View Post
    Lockett is the tough one. I did get to see him play for St Kilda but only a few games as in those days you really only saw players when they played against you team (plus highlights on tv) . Still think of him more as a Sydney player. Would agree with Loewe being up there, although I have him a little further down. I would also add Winmar to the group under consideration.
    Yeah forgot Winmar the second time round

I imagine those who saw Lockett would have him first, considering what he was at Sydney on the tail end of his career I can only imagine what he was truly like with the Saints through his prime.

Team
    MELBOURNE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    466 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hard to argue with any of those Saints picks. They've had some incredible players go through there in the last 20-25 years, even if they don't have the premierships to show for it. For me:

1. Harvey - Combined the best qualities of Ablett Jnr and Dane Swan, which makes for a phenomenal player. 2 Brownlows is a testament to his quality.

2. Lockett - There will NEVER be another Plugger. I need not say any more.

3. Riewoldt - Maybe this is a bit of recency bias, but he is his generation's best CHF and easily the hardest worker I've seen on a football field. He redefined what is expected of a key forward.

4. Hayes - The toughest but fairest competitor I've seen while taking any form of interest in footy. No regard for his own safety, magnificent tackler, tireless worker, great leader of men.

5. Milne - The best of his generation in his position. The off-field stuff will distract from how good a player he was.
    #teamANB

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    305 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

STK is a difficult one. there have been some great players, and some fairly controversial ones too. I don't for example rate Harvey as high as others, as he could pushed behind the stoppage and he'd hoover up cheap ball behind the contest.

for me:
    1. Riewoldt. Sometimes I don't think we appreciate just how good he is.
    2. Lockett. Great player, but really thrived in any era where he played one out. was also not someone who brought others into the game. I'll argue til the cows come home that Dunstall was twice the player. What was great about Plugger is that he didn't need supply
    3. Trevor Barker. Super high flying defender.
    4. Goddard. Probably not as consistent over his career, but his peaks were astronomically good. Should have harvey here, but goddard just hit higher heights.
    5. Harvey. accumulator, who was more damaging early in his career. was hard to stop, but his impact was limitable. he'd gorge on low impact possession if you zoned him off. his ability to shake off a tackle through the power in his hips was amazing.

unlucky

Winmar
    Frawley
    Loewe
    Hayes
    Milne
    Aussie Jones was a fairly meh player, but before Injury Joel Smith was a stud.
    TEX WALKER. that is all.