Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    590 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: Match Review Panel (MRP) 2015

Can't recall the Solomon case off the top of my head but this is nothing like the Vickery or Hall one, Yarran didn't simply turn around unexpectedly and clock a guy in the head which knocked him out cold (Vickery's knock was even less suspecting but Hall's was disgusting).

These two were going at it for a bit and Yarran stupidly landed a punch, since it landed it may have caught Chapman slightly off guard but with what they were doing, it's not as if it was unexpected. You could argue that if a guy knows it's coming, does it make the punch any less defendable? I'd say no, but I think it's the ultimate dog move to punch someone in the head when they're not expecting any contact at all which is what Vickery and Hall did in their incidents with Cox and Staker.

Yarran was given 4 weeks in the end which is exactly what Vickery was given, Yarran was fortunate he had a good record which was taken into consideration and brought it down to 3 weeks.

Also question the concussion test a little myself but that's a different argument altogether.

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    899 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

I actually think the grading was pretty harsh, I mean I have no problem with the outcome but I wouldn't have said that was any more than medium impact at absolute most, I mean personally I'd have said that Billie Smedts strike was much higher impact and that got graded as low.

Which continues the MRP having to manipulate it's stupid system to get the suspensions that fit the crime instead of having any kind of consistency in their rulings. (I agree with this suspension but it is completely inconsistent to find that as high impact and Smedts as low, Smedts landed with considerably more force).

Again, I think the month is spot on just how they got there was ridiculous.
    The Truck is driving the Fish Shack in 2018... Christian Petracca is my boy!

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    674 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Twitter Poster

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-...-1227314282311

“It’s not a good look for the game,” Goddard told the panel.

“It wasn’t Chappy’s eye that split open, it was more his temple. You can’t say it grazed him.

“Chappy was a bit dazed afterwards. I was on the bench when he came up from the rooms and I asked him if he was alright ... He didn’t respond to me at all.

“I don’t see it too dissimilar to Barry Hall’s hit on Brent Staker.”

Goddard also said it was “debatable” that Yarran didn’t fully connect with Chapman.
    Yarran wasn't given 4 weeks incidentally, he was given 3. "4 down to 3 = 4" is bullshit when it's not an MRP decision. There's no "good record" or "early plea" at the tribunal so all that rubbish is just padding to make it look more strict than it really is.

Agree with Wogi's premise that it's retrofitting the gradings to get the outcome, but I don't think you can say it wasn't high impact. Chappy's not exactly the sort to go down from one punch - the impact shouldn't change based on how hard the victim's head is.
    Never bet against Tom Rockliff

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    590 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ben the Gooner View Post
    http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-...-1227314282311

Yarran wasn't given 4 weeks incidentally, he was given 3. "4 down to 3 = 4" is bullshit when it's not an MRP decision. There's no "good record" or "early plea" at the tribunal so all that rubbish is just padding to make it look more strict than it really is.

Agree with Wogi's premise that it's retrofitting the gradings to get the outcome, but I don't think you can say it wasn't high impact. Chappy's not exactly the sort to go down from one punch - the impact shouldn't change based on how hard the victim's head is.
    They give us the crap of "given the good record" stuff all the time when going to the tribunal, pretty sure we heard it last year for someone else? I'm of the belief that if you're sent to the tribunal then all of that should be sent out the window, it is in a way but the defense use it as a way to bring the suspension down a week or two.

On the hit compared to that of Hall's, all I can say is I strongly disagree with anyone that thinks they can be compared at all.

Team
    WEST COAST
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    924 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Yarran & Chappy were facing each other/grabbing/jostling etc when Yarran threw his punch.

Staker has standing behind Hall,checking him when Hall just turned around quickly & hooked him with Staker's arms by his side. Stakers eyes roll back straight away :-

Lol at Hunter falling on his arse.

& god I miss Beau
    SC is FFC's number 1 fantasy game

Team
    WEST COAST
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    924 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-07-0...utm_medium=RSS

Contact between Port Adelaide's Jay Schulz and the Sydney Swans' Ted Richards from the third quarter of Thursday's match was assessed. The panel said Richards took possession of a loose ball and was tackled by Schulz from behind. In the course of the tackle, Richards’ head made forceful contact with the ground. It was the view of the panel that the tackle was not unreasonable in the circumstances. The panel said, in their view, the tackle was undertaken in one continuous motion, with no secondary action. It was determined no further action would be taken.

Contact between Collingwood’s Jamie Elliott and Hawthorn’s Sam Mitchell from the third quarter of Friday’s match was assessed. The ball was bounced and Mitchell was away from the contest. Elliott comes towards the area of the ball and Mitchell steps to his left into the path of the Collingwood player. Elliott made contact to Mitchell’s back and he went to ground. It was the view of the panel a free kick should have been paid if the contact had been seen but the force used was below that required to constitute a report. No further action was taken.

Matthew Broadbent, Port Adelaide, has been charged with making unreasonable or unnecessary contact to an injured player (Luke Parker), during the third quarter of the Round 14 match between Port Adelaide and the Sydney Swans, played at the SCG on Thursday July 2, 2015.

In summary, he can accept a $1000 sanction with an early plea.

Based on the available video evidence and a medical report from the Sydney Swans Football Club, the incident was assessed as intentional conduct, with low impact to the body. The incident was classified as a $1500 sanction. The player has no applicable bad record. An early plea enables the player to accept a $1000 sanction.
    http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-07-0...utm_medium=RSS

Ivan Maric can accept a 1 game ban for striking Steele.

Surprised the 3 above all escaping a suspension, especially Schulz - felt that was a 2 week suspension for certain.
    SC is FFC's number 1 fantasy game

FFC Agent of Chaos Big Sledge #32's Avatar
    Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    579 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Carlton fans going to go apeshit at this

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
    Baltimore Ravens Superbowl XLVII Champions
    Quote Originally Posted by Narkee View Post
    SC only

#AgentOfChaos

FFC Football Operations Manager Nothing's Avatar
    Team
    FREMANTLE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    345 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Baguley also got a week. We were discussing on chat, I intially thought 1 but thought he hit him in the body. It appears that it was high contact which got him the week, otherwise it would be a fine.
    On the Schulz one, I think the Gibbs one was much worse, but that Schulz was lucky to escape with nothing.

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    478 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Twitter Poster - A great twitter poster on behalf of FFC and TFP

I didn't think Bags got him high
    hoff.

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    674 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Twitter Poster

> Hit the bicep
    > High contact
    >
    Never bet against Tom Rockliff

FFC Agent of Chaos Big Sledge #32's Avatar
    Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    579 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nothing View Post
    Baguley also got a week. We were discussing on chat, I intially thought 1 but thought he hit him in the body. It appears that it was high contact which got him the week, otherwise it would be a fine.
    On the Schulz one, I think the Gibbs one was much worse, but that Schulz was lucky to escape with nothing.
    Agree, wasn't as bad as Gibbs, but it wasn't nothing either
    Baltimore Ravens Superbowl XLVII Champions
    Quote Originally Posted by Narkee View Post
    SC only

#AgentOfChaos

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    712 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

am I the only person who thinks they've actually got most of these right lately

Didn't see the Baguley one, so can't comment on that, but agree with the Schulz one, and personally see it as very different (and far less aggressive/dangerous) to the Gibbs incident.

Maric's one looked really bad to me. Suspect I may have missed seeing that one properly as not many others seem that upset about it.

Team
    COLLINGWOOD
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Schulz went I was genuinely going to join @Wogitalia with some time out of the game. Kinda spewing he didn't though tbh because the whole governance of the game is just that stupid I was secretly hoping for an excuse and some vindication to give up on it
    The eBert era is over

FFC Senior Assistant Coach hendo8888's Avatar
    Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I actually agree. Schulz's tackle only looked bad because of the outcome. Otherwise it was a regulation tackle. Gibbs' was different. It was a dangerous tackle, that resulted in injury vs a regulation tackle that happened to cause injury. Similar, but definitely different. BUT, they were similar enough that if one is worth 3 down to 2, then the other should be worth a week or a reprimand. Or Gibbs' should be less.
    Maric deserves more than 1 week though. Regulation punch/elbow to the face.
    This post was more than likely SC based.
    If in doubt, assume it was.

Team
    WESTERN BULLDOGS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    337 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Maric was very lucky in that it was considered careless and not intentional. No doubt Maric would argue that he was putting the arm out to block as Steele was coming in as 3rd man up in the ruck contest and that's why it's only careless. Personally I think anytime you swing your arm at someone to hit them and elbow them in the face, you should have it considered intentional and you have to convince the tribunal if you want to argue careless. Maric also lucky that Steele copped it pretty well as that sort of thing can easily end up as high impact.