Important News


User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 49

Thread: Umpiring Interpretation Changes

  1. #1
    Super Moderator divvydan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Team
    WESTERN BULLDOGS
    Posts
    14,133
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    337 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Umpiring Interpretation Changes

    http://www.afl.com.au/video/2015-02-...mpired-in-2015

    Areas of change:

    Marking contests - stricter interpretation of blocking etc that stop a player going for a mark.

    Holding the ball - prior opportunity - stricter interpretation. Namely in 3 spots: 1. Player is balanced and steady; 2. Player has chosen to take a player on; 3. Opportunity to dispose and chosen not to. In those three cases, umpires will be stricter on calling holding the ball.

    Video shows examples of what will and won't be considered a free kick (in general) this season.

  2. #2
    FFC General Manager Devo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Perth
    Team
    MELBOURNE
    Posts
    7,460
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    466 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Umpiring Interpretation Changes 2015

    Whatever goes in the grand final should go in the home & away. It's not hard, AFL.
    #teamANB

  3. Likes Damion23 liked this post
  4. #3
    FFC General Manager Bert1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Team
    COLLINGWOOD
    Posts
    5,577
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Umpiring Interpretation Changes 2015

    So if a player with the ball a) is balanced and steady, b) has chosen to take a player on, c) has had opportunity to dispose and chosen not to, & they get caught in a tackle.... Are they still allowed to just drop the ball & not get penalized like last year?
    The eBert era is over

  5. Likes dylan123 liked this post
  6. #4
    Moderator Wogitalia's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Team
    SYDNEY
    Posts
    22,196
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    899 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

    Re: Umpiring Interpretation Changes 2015

    Quote Originally Posted by Devo View Post
    Whatever goes in the grand final should go in the home & away. It's not hard, AFL.
    Except for the Swans getting flogged, I'm not down with that.

    The changes sound positive to me, still a lot of work to be done on the holding the ball rule, I was more annoyed on the "dropping the ball" side of the rule last year, I'd have preferred a focus on the disposal side of the rule but this change does seem positive. Personally I'd like to see it really simplified. If you have prior opportunity and do not legally dispose of the ball by either handball or kick it's holding the ball. Then the only interpretation is whether it was a legal disposal and whether prior existed (prior would have it's own outlines to follow to make it simple and clear also). 95% of the time you can accurately tell if the disposal was legal so the only real grey area would be prior. Would stop the horrible scrums of players just throwing the ball out.
    The Truck is driving the Fish Shack in 2018... Christian Petracca is my boy!

  7. Likes Athomas liked this post
  8. #5
    Super Moderator divvydan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Team
    WESTERN BULLDOGS
    Posts
    14,133
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    337 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Re: Umpiring Interpretation Changes 2015

    Quote Originally Posted by Bert1 View Post
    So if a player with the ball a) is balanced and steady, b) has chosen to take a player on, c) has had opportunity to dispose and chosen not to, & they get caught in a tackle.... Are they still allowed to just drop the ball & not get penalized like last year?
    No, if they fit into one of the above three cases, then it's holding the ball if they don't legally dispose of it. In theory anyway.

  9. #6
    FFC Agent of Chaos Big Sledge #32's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Adelaide
    Team
    ADELAIDE
    Posts
    16,550
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    579 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Re: Umpiring Interpretation Changes 2015

    Quote Originally Posted by Wogitalia View Post
    Except for the Swans getting flogged, I'm not down with that.
    The majority of the AFL public enjoy that though, so I could see it becoming standard
    Baltimore Ravens Superbowl XLVII Champions
    Quote Originally Posted by Narkee View Post
    SC only


    #AgentOfChaos

  10. #7
    Moderator Skeeta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hoffland
    Team
    ESSENDON
    Posts
    8,366
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    478 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Twitter Poster - A great twitter poster on behalf of FFC and TFP

    Re: Umpiring Interpretation Changes 2015

    I am just more confused.
    hoff.

  11. #8
    Super Moderator divvydan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Team
    WESTERN BULLDOGS
    Posts
    14,133
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    337 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Re: Umpiring Interpretation Changes 2015

    Mid-season change to be introduced

    http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-new...01-gheh3g.html

    The AFL has taken the radical step of introducing a mid-season rule change after concerns that players were willingly risking head injuries by ducking into contests.


    Football operations boss Mark Evans on Monday wrote to the 18 clubs to alert them to the change that will see free kicks awarded against players leading with their heads.

    Under the changes:


    ■ Any movement where a player drives or leads with their head into a stationary or near-stationary tackler will be deemed as a drive and will be umpired as the player with the ball having had "prior opportunity".


    ■ The player must immediately kick or handball or a free kick for holding the ball, under the prior opportunity rule, will be paid against him.


    Evans said the tackling player will still be required not to be reckless or indiscriminate with his approach to the player with the ball.

  12. #9
    FFC CEO Narkee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Perth
    Team
    GEELONG
    Posts
    10,307
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    438 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

    Re: Umpiring Interpretation Changes 2015

    Great, another area now open to interpretation
    Zach Tuohy my boy for 2017!

  13. #10
    FFC Senior Coach Elvs1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Brisbane
    Team
    HAWTHORN
    Posts
    3,219
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    279 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Umpiring Interpretation Changes 2015

    Did anyone else watch AFL360 last night?
    After their segment with Bucks and Roosy they had Wayne Campbell on talking about the new changes and showing some examples, what a debacle.
    Bucks and Roosy where asking him questions on which head high's where free for or against and why and which just ended up in a confusion and having to slow mo each one down.

    Good luck umps on the weekend, #HeadHighLotto

  14. #11
    Super Moderator dylan123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Melbourne
    Team
    ADELAIDE
    Posts
    17,811
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    590 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Re: Umpiring Interpretation Changes 2015

    Yeah seems really silly to change anything mid season as well, can't see this going well, I'm sure the next few weeks will be a little more frustrating to watch.

  15. #12
    Moderator Wogitalia's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Team
    SYDNEY
    Posts
    22,196
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    899 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

    Re: Umpiring Interpretation Changes 2015

    The best part I took out of it is that it was actually an interpretation change made last year that they just never applied. I knew I could remember that ducking was meant to be prior opportunity.

    Really all the change is that if you duck and the tackler doesn't hit you too hard then it's meant to be prior opportunity...

    Of course prior opportunity just means you have to throw the ball away or sometimes make an effort or it will maybe, sort of, be holding the ball if the crowd asks for it hard enough.

    Essentially we now have yet another grey area so that players can wiggle and throw the ball to avoid being holding the ball because lets add another way to expose that broken ass piece of shit interpretation of a rule that is the worst part of the game and I'm including the commentators in that.

    To be fair... I actually like what it represents, ducking should be prior opportunity and should remove the protection offered because we shouldn't be incentivising leading with the head but lets be honest, you need to fix the absolute mockery of a rule that holding the ball is before you can use it as a corrective measure. Basically they're using the worst umpired rule in any sport ever to try and fix another terrible area of the rules of our game. Like setting murderers and rapists on each other to try and solve those problems...
    The Truck is driving the Fish Shack in 2018... Christian Petracca is my boy!

  16. #13
    FFC General Manager KickItToButch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Adelaide
    Team
    PORT ADELAIDE
    Posts
    5,065
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Umpiring Interpretation Changes 2015

    If they can do this, they should abolish the Sub Rule mid season as well.




  17. Likes Wogitalia liked this post
  18. #14
    FFC Bag Carrier Wheedus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Team
    ESSENDON
    Posts
    4,618
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Umpiring Interpretation Changes 2015

    One issue I see is if a player doesn't gather possession. The Marty Gleason incident from the weekend is the classic example. He runs at the ball, tries to pick it up, fumbles and then ends up head first into an opposition player. I believe he was paid a free kick. Under the latest interpretation, had he gathered the ball, he would have been penalised for holding the ball but by fumbling it, what's the call? He can't be done for HTB because he hasn't been caught in possession. I guess the umps will then have to call either play on or high contact depending on what the opposition player does. Good luck with that!
    Proud coach of Big Jenny Talia FFC
    SC 2013 - 11th
    SC 2014
    - 16th
    SC 2015 and beyond - foetal position

    "Yonnies in the wind, we're ruggin' up for winter"

  19. #15
    FFC CEO Narkee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Perth
    Team
    GEELONG
    Posts
    10,307
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    438 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

    Re: Umpiring Interpretation Changes 2015

    Quote Originally Posted by Wogitalia View Post
    The best part I took out of it is that it was actually an interpretation change made last year that they just never applied. I knew I could remember that ducking was meant to be prior opportunity.

    Really all the change is that if you duck and the tackler doesn't hit you too hard then it's meant to be prior opportunity...

    Of course prior opportunity just means you have to throw the ball away or sometimes make an effort or it will maybe, sort of, be holding the ball if the crowd asks for it hard enough.

    Essentially we now have yet another grey area so that players can wiggle and throw the ball to avoid being holding the ball because lets add another way to expose that broken ass piece of shit interpretation of a rule that is the worst part of the game and I'm including the commentators in that.

    To be fair... I actually like what it represents, ducking should be prior opportunity and should remove the protection offered because we shouldn't be incentivising leading with the head but lets be honest, you need to fix the absolute mockery of a rule that holding the ball is before you can use it as a corrective measure. Basically they're using the worst umpired rule in any sport ever to try and fix another terrible area of the rules of our game. Like setting murderers and rapists on each other to try and solve those problems...
    It actually has nothing to do with ducking. It is when the ball is in dispute and there are players around the ball and a player dive sin head first to retrieve, or dives in to retrieve, gets the ball and leads with the head to get out of congestion. It's not about ducking at all.
    Zach Tuohy my boy for 2017!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •