Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    578 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Random AFL Thoughts/Statements

NEIL Craig has emerged as a late contender for the Western Bulldogs coaching position.

Former Dog champion Luke Darcy, who is on the committee charged with appointing the new coach, said Craig was "an outstanding individual" who would be closely looked at to replace Brendan McCartney.

Craig, the former Adelaide coach who is Essendon's general manager of football performance, joins St Kilda director of coaching Luke Beveridge and Bulldogs assistant Brett Montgomery in the running for the job.

The Herald Sun reports that if Craig is not appointed as the Dogs' senior coach, he may also be considered as a mentor to an untried or inexperienced senior coach.

Darcy, club football director Chris Grant, football manager Graham Lowe and West Coast premiership coach John Worsfold are on the selection committee.

"He's (Craig) an outstanding individual in football. He would have to be a chance," Darcy said on Triple M on Tuesday morning.

"He's a brilliant person and he's got a great history in coaching.

"There are a huge array of outstanding candidates, and one of them will make a very good coach of the Western Bullldogs when it's announced.

"To give running commentary on that is not how it works."

Darcy said the general feedback given to the committee from those coaching candidates who had been interviewed was positive.

"Everyone who has presented has got great faith and excitement about where the Bulldogs' list is at and the talent that is available there," he said.

"And a lot of people are very bullish about the Bulldogs' future."

Craig was also interviewed for Gold Coast's senior coaching position before Rodney Eade eventually was selected for the role.

The 58-year-old coached Adelaide from 2004 to 2011, leading the Crows to five successive finals series.

He resigned in 2011, joining Melbourne the following year and taking over as caretaker coach at the Demons in 2013 after Mark Neeld was sacked.

Craig now leads the high performance division at the Bombers, having been appointed to the role of head of coaching development and strategy for 2014.

He was promoted to the executive role in April this year.

There is speculation that a move by Craig to the Bulldogs could open up a role for Mark Thompson at Essendon.

Thompson coached the Bombers in 2014 during James Hird's suspension, and the club remains keen to find a senior position for him.
    http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-11-11/craig-in-for-dogs

I've been wondering why Craig's name (along with Williams) hasn't come up in discussion for this role.

I think Craig would be a great get for the Dogs given where they're at at the moment.

- He's someone that doesn't have anything to lose as such as he's not going to let the senior players control that club as I feel may have been an issue with a younger coach (although none of those names were really brought up from what I read).
    - Had the Adelaide side as a very competitive team for most of his team having them play a team styled game which worked rather well (didn't achieve the ultimate success but we played some strong footy).
    - Seemed to be respected by the entire playing group, very different feel at Adelaide from when Craig left compared to Sando, just feels as if Craig was a lot more liked/respected by the playing group.
    - Will push the side hard in the off season (hopefully not too many injuries), likes to have the side in top condition.

FFC Agent of Chaos Big Sledge #32's Avatar
    Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    561 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: Western Bulldogs- General News/Articles/Twitter Updates

I think Craig would have been great for the Gold Coast (not as good as Rocket though), but I'm not so sure about the Bulldogs.

He isn't flexible enough on gamedays, although he has admitted he was stuck in his ways at Adelaide so at least he's aware of his issue.

He wasn't able to foster some of the younger talent. This is the guy who left Tex in the SANFL 6-12 months longer than he should have. It's one of the reasons he lost his job because he was too stubborn to play Danger in the guts when our midfield was weak as all hell post Goodwin, Edwards & McLeod. Whilst being to stubborn to play Tex at all despite lacking a second tall.

One of the reasons Tex & Danger broke out so hugely in 2012 was because they were effectively stiffled for a year too long. In some ways it has made both players better (Danger is probably a better forward now than he would have been, and Tex has more pressure going the other way).

The issue is that Craig presents well to a board, but can struggle with younger more free spirit types which could hurt a list that is similar in its age issues to the one Craig had in 2011 where he was busy putting nails in his own coffin. I don't think the younger playing group would be as able to play his demanding style of gameplan without another preseason or two under their belts. That
    s if they avoid the plethora of injuries that our first years used to suffer in their first years at the club.
    Baltimore Ravens Superbowl XLVII Champions
    Quote Originally Posted by Narkee View Post
    SC only

#AgentOfChaos

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    578 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

That's the thing though, whoever takes over this list is going to need a couple of pre seasons to get them preforming to a high standard, they've got a bit of talent on their list that just needs developing. At least with the way Craig will train them you know it will be to a high standard that will be up there with the best. Many argue our 2012 season was as strong as it was based on the back of how fit a squad Sando was given and then dropped back after him being in charge for another year or two.

I don't doubt he's got his problems, I wasn't happy with how he handled Tex and Danger but I wonder if they'd have been anywhere near as good as they were in 2012 if it wasn't for what Craig was trying to get them to do prior to that. Did he hold them back longer than he should have? In my opinion, yes, but it was probably better then gifting them games like other clubs do. That being said, that won't be as much of an option for him at the Dogs as it was for Adelaide given the amount of senior players we could hide behind which the Bulldogs don't really have.

Even with how harshly it seems he treated some of our players, I can't recall them ever saying a bad word about him and often talking him up as a coach.

I think the Craig mentality is great for a starting team as he sets in the fundamentals that are needed/required to become a strong team - as much as I hated the 'crowbots' back in the day, it's a complement at the same time with how well drilled you are. As you said though, the issue was we lacked any flair and our side was unable to do what he envisioned for them and it wasn't working. In that way, it's a bit of a egg and chicken in that you need to get your fundamentals right first (imo) but at the same time your playing group has to be capable of playing the right style of footy for their skills.

The young players picking up lots of soft tissue injuries early in their careers was the other big concern with Craig.

He's been at a few other clubs since Adelaide in an inexperienced on at Melbourne and then Essendon, both of whom were at very different stages/situations to Adelaide so perhaps he's learned a little since then and can build from what he was able to do at Adelaide.

I just think he tops their current assistant coach in Montgomery who I can't help but think there are surely better targets then those that are already at your club that haven't been chased by other clubs for the head role. Beveridge I know far less about, just that he hasn't been a head coach at AFL level.

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    869 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

It's a very interesting direction to take, agree entirely with Sledge, Craig did a great job with a veteran list full of talented players but he really did nothing as far as adding developing the kids or really much of anything once he lost all the all time greats of the Crows to retirement.

If you look at their list all the "disappointments" are basically the guys that went through their major developmental phases under Craig. Guys like Martin, McKay, Reilly (bit older), Porps, Vince, Douglas, Henderson, Jaensch, Otten and even Van Berlo are basically the who's who of Adelaide's stagnant development group and that is the survivors of the guys that went through their early careers under Craig (not all still there obviously). You can even add the likes of Walker, Sloane and Danger who've all flourished since he was gone and had a couple of years under Craig. I wouldn't say that a single one of that first list has reached their potential and the Dogs are basically an entire list of guys who wont be there in 2 years or are firmly in that developmental phase that Craig made a right mess of the first go round.

That said, he has at least had some success which would be something to hang their hats on if they do hire him. Think Mark Williams makes far more sense though in their position. His developmental job at Port was among the best I've seen, he did a similarly good job in developmental roles at GWS and Richmond now, personally think he'd be the ideal hire given their list profile but for some reason he doesn't seem to be getting any attention (Maybe he just isn't interested in a HC role?).
    The Truck is driving the Fish Shack in 2018... Christian Petracca is my boy!

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    561 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The thing is that Tex was banging the door down in the SANFL when we were screaming for a second tall. It was ridiculous that he would drop Tex for a lack of pressure, whilst he kept gifting games to the likes of Henderson who was looking like Cale Morton's wimpy brother.

The issue is Craig loves the battler, so he loved playing his less talented players and making some of the 'talent' work harder.

I don't think anyone should get gifted games, I don't mind making someone work for it. I think Sando made the right call making both Crouch brothers wait until round 2 to make their debut.

It sounds like I'm super imposing a lot of Adelaide's issues onto the Bulldogs, but I don't think Craig is the right fit for the Dogs. He's not a development coach and he clearly struggled with forward structure. I think a gameplan revolving around bombing it long onto Tom Boyd's head as a second year player will be about half as successful as bombing it onto Tippett's head in his 5th year.

Have him as a mentor sure, but he isn't the right man for the job in my opinion. Ayres or Williams would be much better, but they are probably too confrontational for today's entitled player base
    SC only

#AgentOfChaos

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    578 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wogitalia View Post
    It's a very interesting direction to take, agree entirely with Sledge, Craig did a great job with a veteran list full of talented players but he really did nothing as far as adding developing the kids or really much of anything once he lost all the all time greats of the Crows to retirement.

If you look at their list all the "disappointments" are basically the guys that went through their major developmental phases under Craig. Guys like Martin, McKay, Reilly (bit older), Porps, Vince, Douglas, Henderson, Jaensch, Otten and even Van Berlo are basically the who's who of Adelaide's stagnant development group and that is the survivors of the guys that went through their early careers under Craig (not all still there obviously). You can even add the likes of Walker, Sloane and Danger who've all flourished since he was gone and had a couple of years under Craig. I wouldn't say that a single one of that first list has reached their potential and the Dogs are basically an entire list of guys who wont be there in 2 years or are firmly in that developmental phase that Craig made a right mess of the first go round.

That said, he has at least had some success which would be something to hang their hats on if they do hire him. Think Mark Williams makes far more sense though in their position. His developmental job at Port was among the best I've seen, he did a similarly good job in developmental roles at GWS and Richmond now, personally think he'd be the ideal hire given their list profile but for some reason he doesn't seem to be getting any attention (Maybe he just isn't interested in a HC role?).
    Guys like Bock, Rutten and Johncock really came on under Craig and I'm sure there are plenty of others but those are some big ones off the top of my head.

Think you're been quite harsh on a number of guys you listed. Only a selected few showed any improvement under Sanderson, from your list:

Martin - Not sure how Craig is to blame. Rookie listed in 08, did his knee at the end of 09 and I'm pretty sure at the end of 2010 as well. and Craig was gone at the end of 2011.
    Mackay - Could pay that although he's still arguably played his best footy under Craig, he hasn't gotten any better under Sanderson but yes, he didn't improve under Craig. One that was hurt by Craig's training loads though, suffering a few hamstring injuries early in his career.
    Reilly - BS category of playing unskilled players.
    Porplyiza - Not sure how Craig is to be at fault here either. Was delisted once as a rookie and earned his way back. He played some amazing football under Craig and it was only his dodgy shoulders that held him back.
    Vince - Well he improved quite a bit from where he started to his 2009 season. He went backwards after that and has since struggled with his ongoing knee issue - possibly blame Craig for the knee injury I guess?
    Douglas - Yep, took his sweet time although he did win a b&f under Craig in 2010, took a while but he did get there.
    Henderson - Very raw when we first got him, rookie listed in 09, looked alright in the second half of 2010, didn't really show much in 2011 and then Craig was gone.
    Jaensch - Can't really comment. Did start as a forward early on in his career and has only really come to life this year.
    Otten - Was amazing in 2009 and if it wasn't for the knee I'm sure that would have continued. Again, not sure how Craig is to fault with that?
    Van Berlo - Yeah, I guess you could pay that.

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    869 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Quote Originally Posted by dylan123 View Post
    Guys like Bock, Rutten and Johncock really came on under Craig and I'm sure there are plenty of others but those are some big ones off the top of my head.

Think you're been quite harsh on a number of guys you listed. Only a selected few showed any improvement under Sanderson, from your list:

Martin - Not sure how Craig is to blame. Rookie listed in 08, did his knee at the end of 09 and I'm pretty sure at the end of 2010 as well. and Craig was gone at the end of 2011.
    Mackay - Could pay that although he's still arguably played his best footy under Craig, he hasn't gotten any better under Sanderson but yes, he didn't improve under Craig. One that was hurt by Craig's training loads though, suffering a few hamstring injuries early in his career.
    Reilly - BS category of playing unskilled players.
    Porplyiza - Not sure how Craig is to be at fault here either. Was delisted once as a rookie and earned his way back. He played some amazing football under Craig and it was only his dodgy shoulders that held him back.
    Vince - Well he improved quite a bit from where he started to his 2009 season. He went backwards after that and has since struggled with his ongoing knee issue - possibly blame Craig for the knee injury I guess?
    Douglas - Yep, took his sweet time although he did win a b&f under Craig in 2010, took a while but he did get there.
    Henderson - Very raw when we first got him, rookie listed in 09, looked alright in the second half of 2010, didn't really show much in 2011 and then Craig was gone.
    Jaensch - Can't really comment. Did start as a forward early on in his career and has only really come to life this year.
    Otten - Was amazing in 2009 and if it wasn't for the knee I'm sure that would have continued. Again, not sure how Craig is to fault with that?
    Van Berlo - Yeah, I guess you could pay that.
    I basically listed the guys who were still there the last couple of years, Bock probably fits firmly alongside the list of guys whose bodies broke down under Craig (one or two injuries sure but you've just listed that 5 of 10 group list failed because of injury and I think you could probably add Douglas as another to make that 6). Rutten was a good one, Johncock is hard to judge, I'd say he probably underwhelmed as well if you really look at his talent and output.

Whatever the reason the Crows have a barren group of 25-30 year old players which is the group that Craig is directly responsible for. Of that group only Douglas and Vince have a case for being an above average player in what should be their primes.

If you compare that with teams like Sydney, Geelong or even West Coast who were also top sides in that era (thus similar draft positions) and the talent gaps are pretty vast. Eagles have McKenzie, LeCras, Kennedy, Masten, Priddis, Rosa and Waters in that age group that are all basically as good as the best of the Crows (and the Eagles development hasn't been good...). Sydney trot out Bird, Grundy, Jack, Kennedy, McGlynn, McVeigh, Pyke, Richards, Smith and Malceski (hurts!). Geelong are going with Bartel, Hawkins, Johnson, Kelly, Lonergan, Mackie, Selwood, Stokes and Taylor. A guy like Van Berlo was a pretty similar prospect to McVeigh, Porps and Stevie J.

I think Craig did some good things, his pregame plans were exceptional, as was the attention to detail and programming of his players. Development though is a genuine weakness, whether from destroying bodies, neglect or just not nurturing their ability, the Crows guys that fell under Craig's flag are a distinctly ordinary group. His track record basically suggests he is a poor developmental coach which would make his appointment in what is a developmental position an interesting one. Perhaps the Dogs think that discipline and structure are more important to the team/club now than the development of the players and they could be right, they seem an absolute mess with no hierarchal organisation at all but I'd think that someone like Mark Williams could achieve that whilst getting a strong developmental history in the building as well.

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    869 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

PS. wasn't concerned if they improved post Craig or not just that they've not become what they should have to this point. It's hard to make a case that any of those guys is where you'd have hoped them to be. Maybe Douglas is the only one and even he comes and goes. It's hard to separate talent from development but I think that Vince in particular is a very underwhelming player given his talent, his development has not been good and Craig is the man who should have nurtured the habits that would create development.

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    561 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The only player I would contend Wogi's point on is Douglas.

He had his breakout in 2010, then had injuries creep in and limit his 2011 & 12 campaigns before taking his game to another level in 2013. He ruptured a nut or something very similar to that in the first 5 rounds of 2014 so I'm willing to cut him some slack this season. But he has been an 'above average' player for most of the last 5 years. Even if some of that was just barely.

If you want to stack on another player who Craig/injuries ruined then look no further than Chris Knights. A player who should have been better than he was but only had one season of being a fantastic footballer and that was when he was moved to a HFF because Craig couldn't develop him as a midfielder.
    SC only

#AgentOfChaos

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    578 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I basically listed the guys who were still there the last couple of years, Bock probably fits firmly alongside the list of guys whose bodies broke down under Craig (one or two injuries sure but you've just listed that 5 of 10 group list failed because of injury and I think you could probably add Douglas as another to make that 6). Rutten was a good one, Johncock is hard to judge, I'd say he probably underwhelmed as well if you really look at his talent and output.

Whatever the reason the Crows have a barren group of 25-30 year old players which is the group that Craig is directly responsible for. Of that group only Douglas and Vince have a case for being an above average player in what should be their primes.

If you compare that with teams like Sydney, Geelong or even West Coast who were also top sides in that era (thus similar draft positions) and the talent gaps are pretty vast. Eagles have McKenzie, LeCras, Kennedy, Masten, Priddis, Rosa and Waters in that age group that are all basically as good as the best of the Crows (and the Eagles development hasn't been good...). Sydney trot out Bird, Grundy, Jack, Kennedy, McGlynn, McVeigh, Pyke, Richards, Smith and Malceski (hurts!). Geelong are going with Bartel, Hawkins, Johnson, Kelly, Lonergan, Mackie, Selwood, Stokes and Taylor. A guy like Van Berlo was a pretty similar prospect to McVeigh, Porps and Stevie J.

I think Craig did some good things, his pregame plans were exceptional, as was the attention to detail and programming of his players. Development though is a genuine weakness, whether from destroying bodies, neglect or just not nurturing their ability, the Crows guys that fell under Craig's flag are a distinctly ordinary group. His track record basically suggests he is a poor developmental coach which would make his appointment in what is a developmental position an interesting one. Perhaps the Dogs think that discipline and structure are more important to the team/club now than the development of the players and they could be right, they seem an absolute mess with no hierarchal organisation at all but I'd think that someone like Mark Williams could achieve that whilst getting a strong developmental history in the building as well.
    3 of those 5 injuries aren't even soft tissue related, I'm not sure how Craig is to blame when a player does his ACL in a game or has dodgy shoulders like Porps did.

Guys like Mackay you can blame on Craig given they were soft tissue injuries that were happening in the pre season, Knights another as BS mentioned, Cook another, not sure where Vince fits in with that and his knee issue.

I do agree that we lack a solid group of guys in that 25-30 age group that many other clubs have. But do you blame that on Craig, recruiting or something else? Craig came in at the end of 2004 so really you've got a 3 year period of draft picks that would be in that 25-30 year old group to look at. Of that, 4 picks are inside the top 20 (8, 14, 16, 17) with 3 of them being a bust and Douglas being the success pick of that bunch. You've then got Tippett (who should be on your list), Mackay, Vince, Van Berlo, Maric and Knights that are worth that 'made' it to some level. Mackay has been underwhelming considering what he showed early (pick 48), Vince has already been discussed, Van Berlo I'll pay as well, Maric didn't look much good at Adelaide but has since developed into a decent player at Richmond, can't give him a pass at Adelaide (pick 40) and Knights who showed a lot early but injuries hurt him, another you could blame Craig on (pick 56). So in a 3 year period I'd say you could give us 3 passes in Tippett, Douglas and Vince although some might argue Van Berlo is a pass since he's a captain and all, but I don't really think so. But just how many passes do other clubs have in a 3 year period to fit within your 25-30 year age bracket and having such average picks like we had?

Also, you go on to mention the likes of Kennedy and Masten who were both pick #3 and #4. Masten coming from the 2007 draft yet you exclude the likes of Dangerfield and Walker who also came from that draft and instantly make us look better - Of course their best footy has been shown post Craig, but someone like Masten took until 2012 until he really got into it as well.

Sydney and Geelong have done well. Again, if you're going to credit Sydney for the likes of Kennedy and McGlynn then Adelaide should be the same with Thompson for example (is 30+ though). Again, some of these Geelong guys are 30+ such as SJ, Mackie and Lonergan.

I wouldn't say Craig's development is anything to brag about but it just seems you're being pretty unfair on him having a much broader selection of players to look at for the teams you've mentioned with draft picks a lot higher then he ever had to begin with (only the single pick inside the double digets which was way back in 2004 with Meesen who was a bust).

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    869 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Quote Originally Posted by dylan123 View Post
    I wouldn't say Craig's development is anything to brag about but it just seems you're being pretty unfair on him having a much broader selection of players to look at for the teams you've mentioned with draft picks a lot higher then he ever had to begin with (only the single pick inside the double digets which was way back in 2004 with Meesen who was a bust).
    I just picked the guys in that 26-30(ish) range, Adelaide have so few because you've recruited/developed so poorly through that period. I used other clubs that picked from similar positions (McVeigh is Sydney's only single digit pick, Geelong have Bartel and Selwood iirc). You can include guys like Walker, Danger and Sloane if you want but they really work against Craig more than for him, the fact that all 3 started to blossom from the season that Craig left, after all being pretty ordinary players to that point, doesn't really help his development record, imo.

I quite liked Craig as a coach for the things he does well and at a club like say Essendon (if they needed a coach, pure hypothetical) I think he would be a nice fit that adds plenty, heck he will add a few things that the Dogs could use, but I will stand by that his development track record is very poor. I'm not sure I'd give Tippett a pass for Craig either, he basically had his only decent season the one year after Craig and is still a decidedly average player who is very underwhelming.

Again, when Douglas is the best player to show from a 5 year period there is something wrong with the development going on and when you have such a strong group of guys having career years without him it's probably stronger. Tippett, Maric, Douglas, Dangerfield, Sloane and Walker all had career years after Craig. You could make a case that Vince just had his best year last year as well (I wouldn't but it could be made).

I don't think a guy with his developmental history is a great match for the Dogs, I do think he deserves another coaching job though, just not in that situation where it's a very young group that needs a lot of development.

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    578 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I just picked the guys in that 26-30(ish) range, Adelaide have so few because you've recruited/developed so poorly through that period. I used other clubs that picked from similar positions (McVeigh is Sydney's only single digit pick, Geelong have Bartel and Selwood iirc). You can include guys like Walker, Danger and Sloane if you want but they really work against Craig more than for him, the fact that all 3 started to blossom from the season that Craig left, after all being pretty ordinary players to that point, doesn't really help his development record, imo.

I quite liked Craig as a coach for the things he does well and at a club like say Essendon (if they needed a coach, pure hypothetical) I think he would be a nice fit that adds plenty, heck he will add a few things that the Dogs could use, but I will stand by that his development track record is very poor. I'm not sure I'd give Tippett a pass for Craig either, he basically had his only decent season the one year after Craig and is still a decidedly average player who is very underwhelming.

Again, when Douglas is the best player to show from a 5 year period there is something wrong with the development going on and when you have such a strong group of guys having career years without him it's probably stronger. Tippett, Maric, Douglas, Dangerfield, Sloane and Walker all had career years after Craig. You could make a case that Vince just had his best year last year as well (I wouldn't but it could be made).

I don't think a guy with his developmental history is a great match for the Dogs, I do think he deserves another coaching job though, just not in that situation where it's a very young group that needs a lot of development.
    Think Mackie was a former top 10 pick as well for memory.

Also, going back a few years before Craig which would also have have some of the later range guys in that 25-30 period was when we traded Johnson away and the picks (Wells being one of those players we may have had) we received in return to get Carey. A few of these guys were probably finished before Craig even got there as well. For mine, I think it's hard to tell just how many of them were dud picks and how many didn't develop/struggled with injuries under Craig. Someone that was following a bit closer back then might have a better idea then myself given I would have been 10 years old in 2002 so I didn't follow the form some of these younger guys might have had in the seconds etc.

No doubt it doesn't exactly look great for Craig with Dangerfield and Walker, he held them back too much as was evident with how strong they were in 2012 from the get go, he had his reasons, but he was too stubborn with them imo. Again, to me, it's not as if Sando had to develop them, they were already developed, it was just Craig holding them back more then they needed to be held back, sort of the freedom Sando game the squad as such and was allowed to release them. Sloane I don't think really counts, came a year later, played some alright footy in 2011 and the signs were there, was under 40 games of experience.

Again, very short sample size but each of these guys took about 4-5 years before they played some really great footy with Masten being the one example I used from your above post. Again, perhaps they were all a bit slow, I've got no idea what the 'average' is but it's worth remembering that Dangerfield, Tex and Sloane were all just 21 years old in Craig's last season.

55 goals for Tippett in 2009 is still his best return and 46 in 2010, both came under Craig as his coach. That's better than just your 'average' player.

To me, I'm not surprised that Dangerfield, Sloane and Tex have all played better footy since Craig have left, they were all 21 years old by the time he left, of course they have improved as players since. Tippett was fantastic for us in 09 and 10, both under Craig, I'm not sure what year he was better in then those two? Possibly on par, but I don't think he's better any better then those two years. Vince won our B&F in 09, form he's never returned to, only shown glimpses since (2014 obviously his best year since). Douglas was probably better last year then his 2010 season, but again, it was good enough to win him a B&F that year so it's not as if he never showed anything under Craig.

Team
    WESTERN BULLDOGS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    326 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: Random AFL Thoughts/Statements

Some changes to the MRP for next year.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-11-2...-medal-shakeup

Main points

1. Offences that would have incurred 80 or 125 pts will now incur fines. The fine for first offence will be $1500 ($1000 with early plea) and points would only come in for a third offence of that level.

2. Head clashes as a result of bumping will have more discretion on the part of the MRP.
    Factors include
    - Whether the degree of force applied by the person bumping was excessive for the situation
    - Whether the player being bumped was actively involved in the passage of play
    - The distance the player applying the bump has run to make contact
    - Whether the player being bumped is in a position to protect himself
    - Whether the player bumping jumps or leaves the ground to bump
    - Any alternatives available to the player instead of applying a bump

Point 1 will reduce the number of players ineligible for the Brownlow by close to half.
    Point 2 will make it more difficult to work out what a player should get for an incident but might allow the MRP to be more lenient, especially for accidental head clashes.

14. Likes dylan123 liked this post
    Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    578 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

From first read, it seems like a step in the right direction.

Number 2 seems like it will be very open to interpretation which is both good and bad. Good in a sense that if they're trying to do the right thing and let players off for accidental clashes etc but also bad in that if there's a bit of media hype over it, they'll probably be hung out to dry.

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    561 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Part 2 will be a colossal mind **** when it comes to consistency.

But you could argue it already was.
    SC only

#AgentOfChaos