Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    899 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Re: 2014 All Australian Team

Quote Originally Posted by Bunga View Post
    @twarby do you have some stats on Ellis - comparing him to Jones & Sloane for example?

I know Ellis had a strong finish to the year but Jones & Sloane were solid/consistent for most of the season.
    The only stat you need is "Richmond - 8th" to explain all the Richmond selections. Basically they had to fuel the media hype train on Richmond as much as possible because it's good business.

I'd love to see a good argument for Ellis, Martin or Rance over Deledio and Cotchin to start with before even bothering with the other 17 teams who had more deserving members. Richmond players are riding the hype train. If any of them make the team though it becomes a real joke, squad is bad enough.
    The Truck is driving the Fish Shack in 2018... Christian Petracca is my boy!

2. Likes Ben the Gooner liked this post
    Team
    WEST COAST
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    924 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Ben
    SC is FFC's number 1 fantasy game

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    283 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@twarby do you have some stats on Ellis - comparing him to Jones & Sloane for example?

I know Ellis had a strong finish to the year but Jones & Sloane were solid/consistent for most of the season.
    not sure there would be many champion data stats that would be that much better to use as a guide then what footywire has, can compare the players here http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/f...&fid1=S&fid2=S
    all quite different players so all excel at different things, Jones seems incredibly stiff though imo
    since round 13 only Rockliff had more disposals than Ellis league wide

5. Likes Bunga liked this post
    Team
    WEST COAST
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    924 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Here we go :-

Screen shot 2014-09-03 at 1.09.54 PM.png

Jones very unlucky.

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    899 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Ellis just seems an absolutely baffling decision on so many levels. I'd have had Dangerfield, Jones, Sloane, Cotchin, Deledio, McVeigh, Murphy, Hanley, Sidebottom and Treloar all comfortably ahead of him for a midfield spot.

Certainly seems to be a real recency and Richmond bias in all their selections.

8. Likes Ben the Gooner liked this post
    FFC Agent of Chaos Big Sledge #32's Avatar
    Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    579 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The games Rance missed were Carlton, Bulldogs, Collingwood, Brisbane & Hawthorn.

So he missed out on playing on Waite/Henderson, Crameri, Cloke (who was in abysmal form), Brown & Roughead.
    Baltimore Ravens Superbowl XLVII Champions
    Quote Originally Posted by Narkee View Post
    SC only

#AgentOfChaos

Team
    WEST COAST
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    924 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-09-1...-six-defenders
    SELECTING an All Australian team is always going to stir great debate, so here's our two cents worth.

Over the next three days AFL.com.au will roll out the 22 players we believe should be announced next Tuesday night when the official Virgin Australia 2014 AFL All Australian team is named.

On Wednesday you'll learn our defenders, on Thursday our midfielders, and on Friday our forwards.

As with any such team, there was hot debate.

We've tried to select a 'true' 22, putting players in the positions they played for most of the season.

Our bench reflects the modern-day game, and features four midfielders rather than trying to squeeze in an unlucky key position player who wouldn't provide much value if the team were to play.

Eleven clubs are represented, and not surprisingly the top two teams, the Sydney Swans and Hawthorn, are best represented with three and five players respectively.

Look out for the selection of a number of first-timers and players who have knocked on the door for years and finally bashed it down with a stellar 2014.

Let's start with the back six.

Back pocket: Alex Rance (Richmond)
    One of the most contentious positions in the team was that of our third tall defender. Despite missing five games early in the season, Rance just got the nod in front of Adelaide best and fairest winner Daniel Talia. It was no coincidence that once Rance returned from a foot injury – and regained his match fitness – the Tigers started winning. He is versatile, rugged, and showed his elite qualities in the round 23 win over the Swans.

Full-back: Cale Hooker (Essendon)
    Hooker was a standout selection among our scribes to win the coveted full-back position. Not only has he locked down opponents as well as anyone this season, but the 25-year-old also managed to create offence for Essendon with his peerless intercept marking (almost eight a game) and prolific ball use (18 disposals). A no-brainer.

Back pocket: Shaun Burgoyne (Hawthorn)
    The former Port Adelaide midfielder just keeps on keeping on and has had another brilliant year. Burgoyne is at home in the back half and found a way to mix his exquisite ball use (22 touches a game at 76 per cent efficiency) with an improved ability to keep an eye on his direct opponent. Swan Nick Smith was a touch unlucky, but we just couldn't go past Burgoyne's all-around game.

Half-back flank: Brodie Smith (Adelaide)
    A huge season for the Crow gets him a well-earned selection. While he tapered off a fraction in the second half of the season, Smith's run-and-carry was a big reason Adelaide was in the finals mix until the final week. He very quickly became the target of opposition defensive small forwards, but still found a way to get the ball on average 23 times a game.

Centre half-back: Eric Mackenzie (West Coast)
    After years of going unnoticed, the big Eagle gets his call-up. He was clearly our second preferred defender behind Hooker after continuing to lock down the opposition's best forward. Despite a midfield that was getting beaten for much of the opening 11 weeks, Mackenzie held back the tide with his no-frills attitude.

Half-back flank: Nick Malceski (Sydney Swans)
    Malceski was an almost unanimous vote after another stellar campaign. Despite recently turning 30, he is in career-best form, and his 23 disposals a game are usually of the highest quality with his line-breaking left boot.

Personally would have Talia over Rance, Talia performed very well for the duration of the entire season.

Team
    CARLTON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally would have Talia over Rance, Talia performed very well for the duration of the entire season.
    Agreed.

Me thinks because they will have Smith and likely Jacobs in the team, they don't want 3/22 players from a bottom 8 side in the AA team, which the selectors may agree with.
    AFL Twitter --------------------------- This post is SC related--------------------------Movie Twitter

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    590 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

If any one of Smith/Jacobs/Talia should miss, it should be Smith imo.

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    899 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Only disagreements for me is Rance over Talia or Taylor and Burgoyne a) in defense and b) over Smith, Birchall or Hibberd at the very least.

Burgoyne barely played defense this year and wasn't even the best small/mid defender on his own team when he did, that was Birchall. Hibberd was better than Birchall, imo but did miss games, Smith was the best small defender in the league but doesn't offer the attacking flair of the others. Regardless of who, it shouldn't have been Burgoyne, that's just wedging a midfielder into a spot he doesn't play to get more midfielders in, which I guess is the reality of the team these days but I still don't agree with it.

I say that as one of Burgoyne's bigger fans but that doesn't change my feeling on the matter.

I also don't support the case that a poor team like the Crows can't have 3 or 4 All Australians, just because players 11-22 on their list are very poor doesn't mean that players 1-11 aren't the best at their positions. Jacobs, Talia, Smith, Betts, Sloane and Dangerfield all absolutely deserved to be in contention for a spot in the team on the back of their seasons for example. As did Devon Smith, Heath Shaw, Treloar and Ward at GWS for example.

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    712 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Yep. If they're going to put a midfielder into the back 6 it should be Heppell rather than Burgoyne.
    Would like to see N.Smith in there though.
    Not sure why there are only 3 medium defenders in the squad of 40 when we need 3 in the 22. Does suggest they will stick a mid on a HBF.

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    899 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Quote Originally Posted by pvcyclone View Post
    Yep. If they're going to put a midfielder into the back 6 it should be Heppell rather than Burgoyne.
    Would like to see N.Smith in there though.
    Not sure why there are only 3 medium defenders in the squad of 40 when we need 3 in the 22. Does suggest they will stick a mid on a HBF.
    Hadn't noticed they only picked 3 defenders in the squad. Seems absurd but is just the way they are going I guess. I'd have both Heppell and Gibbs ahead of Burgoyne of guys in the squad and Smith as the monty if we were actually picking on position given the squad.

I guess they just used DT positions for the squad though so Burgoyne gets to be a defender?

Team
    WEST COAST
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    924 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-09-1...4s-midfielders
    AFTER settling on our back six on Wednesday, we turn our attention to the hotly-debated midfielders for the official Virgin Australia 2014 AFL All Australian team.

Like in most seasons, the midfield is loaded with talent, but these men we chose in our starting 18 made things relatively easy with unanimous selections from our reporters.

While the battle for the ruck position was a toss of the coin, the other five mids selected in our starting line-up stood head and shoulders above the competition.

With so much ability in the middle of the ground, midfielders also pack our interchange bench.

Wing: Dyson Heppell (Essendon)
    Really took the next step this season to become an elite player. Despite often receiving the opposition's tagging attention in the absence of injured skipper Jobe Watson, Heppell thrived to average 28 disposals. His second half spree against West Coast in round 21 to lift Essendon off the canvas will live long in the memory bank of Bombers fans.

Centre: Joel Selwood (Geelong) (captain)
    Another terrific season from the Cats skipper earns him the captaincy of our team as well. At his inspirational best in averaging 26 touches and is right in the hunt for his first Brownlow Medal. Selwood also kicked 21 goals, including a memorable match-winner against Carlton in round 12.

Wing: Jordan Lewis (Hawthorn)
    After living in the shadows of teammates Luke Hodge and Sam Mitchell for so long, Lewis jumped free in 2014. His phenomenal workrate allowed him to rove between the 50m arcs and help in both attack and defence. Gathered 25 touches or more on 15 occasions and was a unanimous choice.

Ruck: Sam Jacobs (Adelaide)
    One of the most tightly contested positions in the team, but the big Crow got the nod slightly in front of Fremantle giant Aaron Sandilands. There's a split hair between them, but Jacobs gets a touch more ball (16 touches to 13), and Adelaide is statistically the best centre clearance team in the league – something Jacobs has a lot to do with.

Ruck rover: Gary Ablett (Gold Coast) (vice-captain)
    Missed seven games following shoulder surgery, but the 15 he played were without equal - there was no way we couldn't start with the little champion in the middle of the ground. Ablett carried his team to the brink of finals on the back of 32 disposals a game and was just as damaging when he rested forward, kicking 24 goals. Is now 30, but shows no signs of slowing down.

Ruck rover: Nat Fyfe (Fremantle)
    He might be ineligible for the Brownlow, but winning the coveted AFLPA MVP shows just the kind of impact Fyfe has had. Can do it all from winning the contested ball (third in the AFL), to taking high marks and kicking goals (21). An all-around player that demands selection.

Interchange: Josh Kennedy (Sydney Swans)
    Very unlucky to miss out on a starting role, but Kennedy was a lock for the 22. Third in average disposals (28.6), second in contested possessions (16.1) and the driving force behind the Swans' vaunted midfield.

Interchange: Tom Rockliff (Brisbane Lions)
    Much like Heppell, took his game to new heights in 2014. In a very young midfield that was decimated by injuries, Rockliff racked up more disposals a game than anyone in the league (32.7). He is not only a clever footballer, but a terrific decision-maker and well and truly earned his selection.

Interchange: Travis Boak (Port Adelaide)
    The Port skipper backed up his 2013 selection with an equally productive 2014. Now one of the elite captains in the league, Boak gets better as the competition does, averaging 29 disposals and a goal in six matches against the top-four teams throughout the regular season.

Interchange: Matt Priddis (West Coast)
    The lucky last spot was contentious, but nothing short of thoroughly deserved. The prolific Eagle just pipped unlucky Swan Luke Parker, but you can't argue with his output this year – or the previous three. Top-five in disposals, clearances and contested possessions, Priddis was a shining light in a West Coast midfield that was on the wrong end of some bad beatings in the first half of the season.

Screen shot 2014-09-11 at 8.35.27 AM.png
    http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-09-1...4s-midfielders

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    899 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

I'm gonna be honest... I don't get the Boak pick at all, I don't even get the Boak in the squad thing.

He has had a good year but that's as far as I would go on it. Wouldn't pick him ahead of the likes of Ward, Jones, Pendles, Sloane, Danger or Parker just for starters. I don't agree with the Heppell pick either but I also don't have a problem with it, I basically coin flipped for Pendles over Heppell in my own team in comparison to Boak not even making my on the cusp group. One of Lewis and Heppell was my next picked if I did go with 4 mids on the bench.

The next biggest fault I can find is that they actually thought the ruck contest was close but given they got it right in the end I can't really complain about it

Team
    WEST COAST
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    924 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

@Wogitalia , think this may interest you & why AFL news have included him in their team :-

Screen shot 2014-09-11 at 10.24.42 AM.png