NORTH MELBOURNE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    417 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Twitter Poster

Re: 2014 All Australian Team

To that end I think Jacobs probably did have a better all round year than Goldy. I am more dissapointed that Sandi won it instead of Goldy or Jacobs who were clearly the best two ruckmen for the year

FFC Agent of Chaos Big Sledge #32's Avatar
    Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    579 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bailz66 View Post
    Goldy missed last year. Made the squad but didn't make the team. This year didn't even make the squad.
    Who was AA ruck last year? I just assumed he was the reigning AA ruck.

Minson? If so he got it from a lower club on the ladder.
    Baltimore Ravens Superbowl XLVII Champions
    Quote Originally Posted by Narkee View Post
    SC only

#AgentOfChaos

Team
    FREMANTLE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To be fair to Sandilands he still topped all the rucks in hit outs and hit outs to advantage which is primarliy how a player of that postiton should be judged.

It looks like theyve actually had a half decent crack at picking a team they would pick if we haf scheudueld international games. Good to see, lots of youth as well.

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    899 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

I actually think Sandi over Jacobs was probably the least egregious error that they made. There is a case for Sandi, he was probably better for the first half of the season. Realistically Sandi was best in H1, Goldy in H2 and Jacobs was 2nd for both halves.

Boak over Sloane, Parker, Jones, Ward, Priddis, Beams, Dangerfield, Gibbs and Hanley was a much worse choice, imo.

Rance over all of Taylor, McKenzie, Richards, Patful and Thompson was even worse, on the "I want the drug they are on" type level.

Balla over Boomer/Betts was on the same level as Sandi over Jacobs for me. Not the pick I would have made but I can see the case and don't have a problem with it.

I'd actually say it's one of the better AA teams though in recent times.
    The Truck is driving the Fish Shack in 2018... Christian Petracca is my boy!

5. Likes Wheedus liked this post
    Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    899 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

I also have no problem with Brodie Smith making it, he was the best rebounding defender in the league for half the season, pretty damn good for another handful and still good defensively even when not providing the attack. When you consider that Birchall was really the only competition who didn't miss multiple weeks (Hibberd, Enright, Shaw) then it actually becomes a pretty solid selection. His finish was underwhelming but his start was fantastic and the competition all had games where they didn't even play compared to Smith basically being a shutdown defender with little offensive impact in his bad weeks.
    The Truck is driving the Fish Shack in 2018... Christian Petracca is my boy!

Super Moderator
    Team
    FREMANTLE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    491 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Twitter PosterFFC Blogger
    Fyfe Award - for outstanding contributions - Outstanding contributions accross the FFC and forwardpress blogs. A huge amount of work completed by Hedge so our thanks go out!!!

After a quick search through the afl.com.au match reports, Jacobs and Sandilands both appear in their teams "best" 15 times from 21 games, which is huge.

I did it again awarding double points for being the first or second listed player, which has Jacobs edging Sandilands 22 vs 19. But I could similarly make the argument that Sandilands in a top 4 team has higher quality teammates to outperform in order to gain a spot in the bests (some games he was pulling 45+ hitouts and not getting a mention) than Jacobs does in a bottom 8 team. Subjective analysis for sure, but ultimately I think this is just the case of two great players, two great seasons and one spot to fill. Happy to hear arguments that Jacobs could have had a spot and it was a close call, but neither was "clearly" better than the other throughout the season. One third of the AA backline is young crows players so it's not like Jacobs was the sole hope either.

Oh yeah for bailz's sake i checked out Goldstein as well, he featured 6 times.
    Anyone
    Anywhere
    Anytime

Team
    COLLINGWOOD
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wogitalia View Post
    I actually think Sandi over Jacobs was probably the least egregious error that they made. There is a case for Sandi, he was probably better for the first half of the season. Realistically Sandi was best in H1, Goldy in H2 and Jacobs was 2nd for both halves.

Boak over Sloane, Parker, Jones, Ward, Priddis, Beams, Dangerfield, Gibbs and Hanley was a much worse choice, imo.

Rance over all of Taylor, McKenzie, Richards, Patful and Thompson was even worse, on the "I want the drug they are on" type level.

Balla over Boomer/Betts was on the same level as Sandi over Jacobs for me. Not the pick I would have made but I can see the case and don't have a problem with it.

I'd actually say it's one of the better AA teams though in recent times.
    Boak was more than solid and has the responsibility of captaining his side also so probably gets the tick. Would probably only have 3 or 4 of those other guys you listed as any realistic alternative for Boak's spot IMO.

Rance is the biggest one agree with that. Just weird.

I pay little attention or regard to it really. In the end it's not gospel. Just the collective random opinion of a group of dudes. Gather half a dozen blokes who watch footy every week at the pub and make your own All Australian team
    The eBert era is over

Team
    NORTH MELBOURNE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    417 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Twitter Poster

Quote Originally Posted by hedgehog View Post
    After a quick search through the afl.com.au match reports, Jacobs and Sandilands both appear in their teams "best" 15 times from 21 games, which is huge.

I did it again awarding double points for being the first or second listed player, which has Jacobs edging Sandilands 22 vs 19. But I could similarly make the argument that Sandilands in a top 4 team has higher quality teammates to outperform in order to gain a spot in the bests (some games he was pulling 45+ hitouts and not getting a mention) than Jacobs does in a bottom 8 team. Subjective analysis for sure, but ultimately I think this is just the case of two great players, two great seasons and one spot to fill. Happy to hear arguments that Jacobs could have had a spot and it was a close call, but neither was "clearly" better than the other throughout the season. One third of the AA backline is young crows players so it's not like Jacobs was the sole hope either.

Oh yeah for bailz's sake i checked out Goldstein as well, he featured 6 times.
    Will wait for Norths Best and Fairest to see how the club rates him but he flow under the radar this year.

North also have a large number of players than perform as match winners so they get a fairly even spread of bests

Team
    WEST COAST
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    924 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Gary Ablett in @AFL All-Australian Team / Team of the Year

SC is FFC's number 1 fantasy game

11. Likes Bert1, Cat for life liked this post