SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    869 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Re: 2014 AFL Draft/Trade Thread

Sounds similar to Malceski as a prospect... could do a lot worse than that. Hopefully ends up somewhere that he will actually play games.
    The Truck is driving the Fish Shack in 2018... Christian Petracca is my boy!

Team
    WEST COAST
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    906 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Complete stats from the Under-18 championships :-

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-08-2...utm_medium=RSS
    SC is FFC's number 1 fantasy game

FFC Agent of Chaos Big Sledge #32's Avatar
    Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    561 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pvcyclone View Post
    http://www.foxsportspulse.com/assoc_...ID=31089947#PJ

Newman probably the fantasy stud of the mature age prospects, so worth knowing about him.
    How close is Panos to getting an AFL lifeline?

Completely remodeled his game as a midfielder in the SANFL with pretty decent results apparently.
    Baltimore Ravens Superbowl XLVII Champions
    Quote Originally Posted by Narkee View Post
    SC only

#AgentOfChaos

Team
    WESTERN BULLDOGS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    326 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sledge #32 View Post
    How close is Panos to getting an AFL lifeline?

Completely remodeled his game as a midfielder in the SANFL with pretty decent results apparently.
    Must be a decent chance of a rookie spot. His numbers aren't as big as many other mids but it's only his first year playing midfield so that can still improve. The big thing he has going for him is that he would be a really big inside mid, which clubs love. Also has the ability to rotate fwd which would be handy if/when the 80 interchange limit comes in.

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    710 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Very hard to say on Panos.

I haven't seen much of him this season. Normally though, clubs are somewhat reluctant to draft slowish state league mids, so I imagine the combine will be very important for him. Needs to test well for the 20m sprint in particular.
    Certainly has the positive of being a big bodied mid as divvy says, which like the KPPs take time, so there are few chances for clubs to draft ready made players in that regard, with the rare exceptions of guys like Ollie Wines, you don't find them ready to play as 18 year olds. He isn't going to appeal to every club, he just has to hope that there is 1 club that is desperately seeking big bodied mids who can immediately play. If there is a club in the market like that (Melbourne possibly), then his chances are decent as his competition from other state league players is pretty minimal.

Team
    WESTERN BULLDOGS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    326 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Just having a look at his stats more closely.

Played 16 games this season so far in SANFL.

Averaging 12k, 9.6hb and 6.3clearances.

Given his role, his kicking effectiveness of 73.4% is quite good, hb is 86.4% which is higher as expected.

Averages nearly 4 I50's a game and clearances are well spread between centre bounce, ball-ups and throw-ins.

Has been listed in the best on 12 occasions which is an indicator of his consistency. Average of around 86DT with 4 100's, all of which were in wins.

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    869 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Quote Originally Posted by pvcyclone View Post
    Very hard to say on Panos.

I haven't seen much of him this season. Normally though, clubs are somewhat reluctant to draft slowish state league mids, so I imagine the combine will be very important for him. Needs to test well for the 20m sprint in particular.
    Certainly has the positive of being a big bodied mid as divvy says, which like the KPPs take time, so there are few chances for clubs to draft ready made players in that regard, with the rare exceptions of guys like Ollie Wines, you don't find them ready to play as 18 year olds. He isn't going to appeal to every club, he just has to hope that there is 1 club that is desperately seeking big bodied mids who can immediately play. If there is a club in the market like that (Melbourne possibly), then his chances are decent as his competition from other state league players is pretty minimal.
    It's actually kind of funny with this.

Looking at some of the best inside mids in the league... Watson, Kennedy, Priddis and Mitchell they all pretty much fit in this category. I dare say if Watson and Kennedy are Smith and Brown they would have quite probably gone undrafted as well.

It's actually funny how often speed will lead to teams overlooking football ability. Guys like Parker, Mitchell, Beams, Bell (Peter way back in the day) and many others have had their footballing ability ignored pretty much completely because of a lack of speed.

I still find it funny looking at the top 4 teams this year and their midfield make ups.

Sydney's main midfield group is Hanners, JPK, McVeigh, Jack, Bird, Parker and McGlynn. I'd say that Jack and McGlynn are the only two in that group even above average for speed.

Hawthorn roll with Lewis, Mitchell, Hodge, Shiels, Burgoyne and Langford/Sewell. Again Burgoyne is probably the only guy above average there and he has lost more than a few yards of pace.

Geelong roll with Selwood, SJ, Bartel, Kelly, Stokes, Christensen and Guthrie. Stokes and Christensen are a bit above average but not exactly fast.

Fremantle roll with Mundy, Fyfe, Barlow, Crowley and Neale, Fyfe is again probably the only guy above average and you could make a case that the rest are pretty much very slow.

Those 4 teams have also been sporting big slow midfields for years and have basically been the top 4 teams over the last 5 years. (Throw in the Saints if you want with their pretty pedestrian group as well if you want). All those teams have focused on pure midfielders with no regard to speed and then complimented them with very fast outside mids (Jetta, Hills, Smith, Motlop, Pearce and co).

Not saying it's the sole reason those teams are successful by any means but I know if I was an AFL recruiter I'd be looking where the value lies and in the draft there is a very strong neglect for slow ball winners that creates value. I think it's a massive reason for Sydney's sustained success built around late draft picks, we pretty much always take "footballers" with out late picks and have for years. I genuinely think that teams like Melbourne and St Kilda should be looking at guys like a Panos with their 3rd round picks onward.

The big thing is that you can improve speed, you can improve kicking and basically all skills but the ability to win the ball seems to be hard to teach, guys either have it or they don't. Look at a guy like Zach Tuohy as a classic example, the guy is an elite kick, great athlete, hard as nails and in 4 years he still can't find the pill. He is a textbook case of a guy who you'd love to have 25 touches a game and he can't even seem to get half that on any regular basis because he just doesn't have a clue where to go to get it.

Team
    WEST COAST
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    906 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

No change to father-son bidding system this year

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-08-2...dding-farewell
    THE CONTENTIOUS father-son and academy bidding system will not change this year, but the AFL is expected to continue to refine and examine a new-look process that may be introduced for future drafts.

The League told clubs on Wednesday that it planned to stick with the existing model of bidding for eligible father-son and academy players in northern states, despite exploring the possibility of a new system.

In a statement on Wednesday AFL general counsel Andrew Dillon said the AFL Commission decided it was too close to the bidding day - Monday, October 6 - for changes to be introduced this year.

The existing system sees father-son or academy recruits subject to a bidding process in which the eligible club, such as North Melbourne last year with father-son prospect Luke McDonald, has to match the best bid with their next draft choice.

The Kangaroos took McDonald at pick No.8 last year after West Coast bid its first selection (No.6 overall).

But club and AFL personnel in recent months have road-tested new systems aimed at making the draft more equitable and ensuring clubs are paying closer to market value for players.

A 'sliding scale' system that could see clubs use more than one pick on a player or move down the order later in the draft has been considered, as has assigning values to certain picks and players.

AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan said earlier this month that if the League was happy with the system it would be introduced for this year, but if not it would continue to revise and refine the process in consultation with clubs.

There are expected to be more than 10 players selected at this year's bidding day, including Collingwood's father-son prospect Darcy Moore and Sydney Swans academy star Isaac Heeney.
    http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-08-2...dding-farewell
    SC is FFC's number 1 fantasy game

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    869 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

I think the bidding system part of it is fine, there should be an incentive to encourage teams to take father son players and there should be an incentive to the clubs who are funding and running academies. What they need to fix is that only 4 clubs have academies from which to bid, that is where the massive inequity exists and is easily fixed. Name the development regions and have them distributed to the other 14 clubs and then the clubs will get as much out of it as they put in and every club will have academy options annually.

FFC Football Operations Manager Nothing's Avatar
    Team
    FREMANTLE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    327 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Make it overly complicated (it's the AFL way!)

Allow future picks to be traded.
    Then
    You must use a pick within 9 (5? 10?) of the best bid that was made for the player. It would force teams to trade current or future picks to move up. They still get a discount on the players value but not as heavy as it currently is. If the SYD academy player is a top 10 prospect and somebody offers pick 6, then they need to trade up to pick 15 at least. Meanwhile, WBD have a F/S player who is worth pick 28. SYD and WBD could swap SYD's 2nd and WBD's 1st round picks and then SYD could add in their 2nd round pick for next year.

Force the clubs to trade. Make them plan for long term. Make them think whether a player is really worth it.

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    869 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Quote Originally Posted by Nothing View Post
    Make it overly complicated (it's the AFL way!)

Allow future picks to be traded.
    Then
    You must use a pick within 9 (5? 10?) of the best bid that was made for the player. It would force teams to trade current or future picks to move up. They still get a discount on the players value but not as heavy as it currently is. If the SYD academy player is a top 10 prospect and somebody offers pick 6, then they need to trade up to pick 15 at least. Meanwhile, WBD have a F/S player who is worth pick 28. SYD and WBD could swap SYD's 2nd and WBD's 1st round picks and then SYD could add in their 2nd round pick for next year.

Force the clubs to trade. Make them plan for long term. Make them think whether a player is really worth it.
    Personally I just don't see any need to change it right now. It's not like teams can be intentionally good in years of father son candidates. I have no problem with the really bad teams maybe getting a steal as a result of being bad and the middle of the pack teams are unlikely to get any benefit. I just don't see a need to complicate a system that applies maybe once every 2 years and just doesn't have a big impact. The bidding process, imo, is fine, teams have an incentive to take the father son candidate, it's not a big discount (really how many drafts is there a tangible difference between pick 10 and 20?). To be honest I actually think that the player coming at a "discount" helps the whole romance of having a father son system as the fans are instantly happy to get them at a discount (everyone loves a sale!).

Not arguing that the academy thing needs to be fixed, I don't think the bidding process is the problem there by any measure though, the problem is 4 of 18 having academies. I'd like to see the AFL take a constructive approach and make that 18 of 18 instead of just shutting down the 4 academies that are currently doing good work in developing the game though, which is what Eddie wants so hopefully that is what happens but given the normal AFL approach, they'll try and ninja around the problem by changing rules and in the process create 3 more problems. AFL solutions are like chopping the head off a hyrda normally.

Super Moderator
    Team
    FREMANTLE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    474 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Twitter PosterFFC Blogger
    Fyfe Award - for outstanding contributions - Outstanding contributions accross the FFC and forwardpress blogs. A huge amount of work completed by Hedge so our thanks go out!!!

alright lets go

ADEL IN: Pick 1, Pick 4, Pick 7, Pick 38
    ADEL OUT: Dangerfield, Pick 9
    BRIS IN: D. Beams, Pick 19, Pick 53
    BRIS OUT: Crisp, Leuenberger, Pick 4, Pick 24, Pick 60
    CARL IN: T.Mitchell, Butcher, Pick 22, Pick 49
    CARL OUT: Pick 6
    COLL IN: Clark, Frawley Compensation, Pick 24, Pick 42
    COLL OUT: D. Beams, Lumumba, Pick 28
    ESS IN: Leuenberger, Crisp, Pick 17, Pick 28
    ESS OUT: Ryder, Pick 19, Pick 49
    FREM IN: Pick 11, Pick 27
    FREM OUT: Suban, Pick 13, Pick 53
    GEEL IN: Newton, Pick 48
    GEEL OUT: Pick 35
    GC IN: Pick 5, Pick 21
    GC OUT: Gorringe, Pick 7, Pick 27, Pick 63
    GWS IN: Ryder, Pick 31
    GWS OUT: Jaksch, Giles, Frost, O’Rourke
    HAW IN: Sinclair, Pick 60, Pick 25
    HAW OUT: Pick 36, Pick 17
    NM IN: Lumumba, Pick 35
    NM OUT: L. Adams
    MELB IN: Dangerfield, Reid, Pick 47
    MELB OUT: Clark, Blease, Pick 2, Frawley Compensation, Pick 22, Pick 39
    PORT IN: Gorringe, Pick 39
    PORT OUT: Butcher, Newton, Pick 33
    RICH IN: Frost, Giles, Pick 9, Pick 63
    RICH OUT: Pick 11, Pick 31, Pick 48
    STK IN: Suban, O’Rourke, Pick 2, Pick 33
    STK OUT: Pick 1, Pick 21, Pick 38
    SYD IN: Pick 6, Pick 13
    SYD OUT: T.Mitchell, Reid, Pick 18, Pick 37
    WCE IN: Pick 37
    WCE OUT: Sinclair, Pick 47
    WB IN: Jaksch, L. Adams, Pick 18, Pick 35, Pick 36
    WB OUT: Pick 5, Pick 25, Pick 42
    Anyone
    Anywhere
    Anytime

13. Likes Bert1, Big Sledge #32, dylan123 liked this post
    Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    289 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Would be all over that shit
    TEX WALKER. that is all.

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    578 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Well now Hedge as sorted that, onto the draft!

Looks like a pretty good deal for most clubs, can't see any big issues with the above from my first quick look.

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    659 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Twitter Poster

GWS get Ryder for assorted steak knives. Fair play to them.
    Never bet against Tom Rockliff