MELBOURNE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    466 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: 2014 Ladder Predictor Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Narkee View Post
    I think hawks are up and about too early. I don't think they can play much better than they already are, whereas other teams still have a fair amount of upside. Especially Fremantle. No doubt the Hawks are quality but there will be a couple of teams that warm up as the season progresses and will give them a good shake come the business end.
    Hawthorn were flying during preseason and early rounds last year. They has to be switched on because they had a brutal first 7 rounds. Turned out ok for them in the end!

Hawthorn and Geelong are clearly the pick of the crop so far. Easter Monday will be epic once again.

Freo will come good once their key players are back. I'm not worried by them. Essendon are top 4 quality based on what I've seen so far, but they need to sustain this high level all year and stay injury free. Hopefully they can but the jury is out.
    #teamANB

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    283 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hawks are missing a few players still, not their fault they're just that well drilled

Team
    HAWTHORN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think hawks are up and about too early. I don't think they can play much better than they already are, whereas other teams still have a fair amount of upside. Especially Fremantle. No doubt the Hawks are quality but there will be a couple of teams that warm up as the season progresses and will give them a good shake come the business end.
    Wait till we get our first choice ruck and our three main defenders back.

Team
    COLLINGWOOD
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    431 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Twitter Poster

Lots of 2011 collingwood about the hawks. History says it's very hard to sustain.
    - twitter @mammes

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    590 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

As long as they time when their side drops off a little and picks up again then they'll be fine. If I recall correctly, Collingwood dropped off towards the end of the home and away season in 2011 and never really got into gear in the final few rounds of the season. Most sides have a patch where they drop off by 10-20% for a month or so, as long as they can do this around mid season and then get back into strong form they'll be fine.

FFC Senior Assistant Coach Drewy_GFC's Avatar
    Team
    GEELONG
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    247 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

As good as Collingwood were in 2011 we had their number, played them 3 times won all 3.

Hawks obviously the standout side this year but the regular season really only counts for so much, of far more importance is how you end the regular season rather than start it. You can go 22-0 and finish on top and it doesn't necessarily guarantee any more of an advantage than a side who could go 17-5 and finish 2nd.
    Twitter--- @coolingandy

Team
    HAWTHORN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    279 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's definitely a chance we may have peaked too early and will have a drop off at some point but I think the big difference is there is atleast half a dozen guys playing for their spot with the number of injuries we have.
    It's not so much that our top line players playing well its our low end and depth players playing so well which I think is making the biggest difference at the moment.

8. Likes Rumblah liked this post
    Team
    NORTH MELBOURNE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    417 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Twitter Poster

Quote Originally Posted by bailz66 View Post
    1. Fremantle
    2. Hawthorne
    3. Richmond
    4. North Melbourne

5. Sydney
    6. Essendon
    7. Collingwood
    8. Geelong

9. Carlton
    10. Port Adelaide
    11. Adelaide
    12. West Coast
    13. Gold Coast

14. Western bulldogs
    15. Brisbane
    16. Melbourne
    17. St Kilda
    18. GWS

Coleman Medal: Jeremy Cameron
    Brownlow Medal: Joel Selwood
    Grand Final: Fremantle
    Runner Up: Hawthron
    Looking like a bit of a struggle atm... Selwood a chance for the Brownlow but Richmond really killed my ladder it seems.

10. Likes Athomas liked this post
    Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    899 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Didn't make a prediction but I'd have been pretty close, probably would have had Pies or Richmond over North but 8 is pretty much what I expected otherwise (Geelong are higher but not by much). Coleman my boy Buddy in the lead. Ablett still a real chance at the Brownlow with Fyfe and JPK quite possibly both done for the season now.
    The Truck is driving the Fish Shack in 2018... Christian Petracca is my boy!

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    283 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Richmond & Port my main two I got completely wrong, Pies a little high too although I did suggest they'd struggle a bit, who would have though their 2nd half of the season would be their poor half.

was having a look at some team performances yesterday and was shocked at just how poorly the Dogs have gone, only team not to beat a top 8 side this season, wins against Richmond, GWS, Melbourne x 2, Collingwood, GC & St Kilda, not one of those teams were travelling well when they beat them either.
    some further digging shows they're 3-38 vs top 8 sides since 2011, don't hear much media attention on them over here in Adelaide, are they getting it in Melbourne? because looking at it like this they've probably been the most disappointing side

Team
    WESTERN BULLDOGS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    337 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by twarby View Post
    Richmond & Port my main two I got completely wrong, Pies a little high too although I did suggest they'd struggle a bit, who would have though their 2nd half of the season would be their poor half.

was having a look at some team performances yesterday and was shocked at just how poorly the Dogs have gone, only team not to beat a top 8 side this season, wins against Richmond, GWS, Melbourne x 2, Collingwood, GC & St Kilda, not one of those teams were travelling well when they beat them either.
    some further digging shows they're 3-38 vs top 8 sides since 2011, don't hear much media attention on them over here in Adelaide, are they getting it in Melbourne? because looking at it like this they've probably been the most disappointing side

Not much attention here, it's easy to get lost when there are worse sides and your games are in low viewing timeslots. We've certainly stagnated this year and haven't really addressed the major issues which, imo are: Not getting enough uncontested and low pressure possessions; Too often winning a low quality clearance and allowing oppositions an extra man back; Destroyed by outside run and also by big forwards; Lack of #1 forward to go to under pressure.

Team
    CARLTON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Will be good when bailz tallies up the actual scores, confident I've got this wrapped up (not really trollface though, I had a decent look through the predictions haha)

Quote Originally Posted by bailz66 View Post
    Looking like a bit of a struggle atm... Selwood a chance for the Brownlow but Richmond really killed my ladder it seems.
    Looks pretty decent, Cameron will hurt as well as Richmond with our scoring system.

Quote Originally Posted by Athomas View Post
    Damn, Roughy/Selwood/Hawks pre-season bet should have been in order
    Thanks for that Buddy, would have been spewing I reckon
    Last edited by Athomas; 19th August 2014 at 08:12 PM.
    AFL Twitter --------------------------- This post is SC related--------------------------Movie Twitter

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    899 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Dogs for me are a good honest team, they beat the teams they are better than and can't beat the teams that they aren't. The lack outside class and forward options and are pretty suspect against key position forwards as well. Not surprisingly the top sides which they can't beat are generally those teams that also happen to have big KPF and midfields that will match them in the contested stuff. The problem is that they really don't see to have either the KPF or KPD on their list, which generally would mean they're a few years away from fixing that problem, by which time their outside class will be pretty much all gone as well, so they need to draft both.

Basically they're paying right now for the Cordy and Grant whiffs badly. The positive is that as Dahlhaus and Stringer move into the midfield they should have a very decent midfield group with pretty good balance (would like to see one more guy with genuine speed in the mix, perhaps Johannisen can be that guy as he has shown flashes). They're probably the club that should be going for someone like SMack at Adelaide who could probably be had relatively cheaply and at least has some potential to offer a contest.

They're also a club who got hurt a bit by the compromised drafts which doesn't help them at all. Don't think it's a surprise at all that the teams that bottomed out during the compromised drafts are all floundering in the Saints, Dogs, Lions and Demons.
    The Truck is driving the Fish Shack in 2018... Christian Petracca is my boy!

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Thumpy View Post
    1. Fremantle
    2. Hawthorn
    3. Sydney
    4. North Melbourne
    5. Essendon
    6. Collingwood
    7. Geelong
    8. Adelaide

9. Richmond
    10. West Coast
    11. Gold Coast
    12. Port Adelaide
    13. Carlton
    14. Brisbane
    15. Western Bulldogs
    16. GWS
    17. Melbourne
    18. St Kilda

Premiers: Fremantle
    Runners Up: Sydney Swans
    Coleman: Josh Kennedy
    Brownlow: Joel Selwood
    Not a bad effort considering it was November.

Swap Port Adelaide and Collingwood and that bottom eight is almost dead on the money.
    Never argue with a fool. They'll drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

FFC Agent of Chaos Big Sledge #32's Avatar
    Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    579 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sledge #32 View Post
    Sydney
    Hawthorn
    Fremantle
    Essendon
    Richmond
    Geelong
    North
    WCE
    Adelaide
    Collingwood
    Port
    GCS
    Carlton
    Brisbane
    Bulldogs
    Melbourne
    GWS
    St Kilda

Coleman K Tippett
    Grand Final Fremantle vs Sydney
    Brownlow Dangerfield
    Swap Port & Richmond around and I'm pretty on point. Being within 2-3 spots of every other sides position.

Completely botched the Coleman & Brownlow though
    Baltimore Ravens Superbowl XLVII Champions
    SC only

#AgentOfChaos