0 Thread(s)

Re: 2014 Ladder Predictor Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Athomas View Post
    Coleman Medal: Jarryd Roughhead
    Brownlow Medal: Joel Selwood
    Grand Final: Hawthorn
    Runner Up: Fremantle
    Damn, Roughy/Selwood/Hawks pre-season bet should have been in order
    AFL Twitter --------------------------- This post is SC related--------------------------Movie Twitter

2. Likes Narkee liked this post
    Team
    CARLTON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No new predictions allowed Ben!
    AFL Twitter --------------------------- This post is SC related--------------------------Movie Twitter

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    283 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=Buddyman;336954]Surely Geelong has to be rated top 4 this season. I almost guarantee that they will be. Very, very strong team again this season. Otherwise like it Ben!

yep a clear top 3 team

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hawthorn
    Fremantle
    Geelong
    Port Adelaide
    Essendon
    Collingwood
    North Melbourne
    Sydney

West Coast Eagles
    Gold Coast
    Adelaide
    Richmond
    Western Bulldogs
    GWS
    Carlton
    Brisbane
    St Kilda
    Melbourne
    Never argue with a fool. They'll drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    674 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Twitter Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Buddyman View Post
    Surely Geelong has to be rated top 4 this season. I almost guarantee that they will be. Very, very strong team again this season. Otherwise like it Ben!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    People might reassess that when they lose by 10 goals on Monday.
    Never bet against Tom Rockliff

FFC Football Operations Manager ZergMinion's Avatar
    Team
    WEST COAST
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ben the Gooner View Post
    People might reassess that when they lose by 10 goals on Monday.
    Basing a prediction on a single data point is just silly, especially when you're just an outside observer.

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    674 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

Beating Adelaide, Brisbane, Collingwood and half of West Coast isn't overly impressive. There's a similar feeling around their best 22 and Collingwood, in that there's a hell of a lot of unproven players in there all at once.

Hawthorn, Port (A), Richmond at the G before the bye. Go 2-1 and I definitely rate them top 4.

9. Likes Narkee liked this post
    Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    674 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

Freo (A), North, Sydney (A) after the bye as well.

Team
    GEELONG
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    438 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Yeh, the verdict is still out on the Cats.

Our best win was against the Pies as they always seem to get up against us. we did what we should have in the other 3 games.
    Zach Tuohy my boy for 2017!

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    283 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

even if the Cats lose by 10 goals, its a one game sample, Bombers got smashed on Sunday yet you're still tipping them top 3.

Cats went 9-1 vs the top 8 last year, Chapman is the only player who has impressed elsewhere whos left, they've already won the most quarters for the season so aren't having their usual quiet patches they had last year in games.
    • Its average points conceded so far this season of 64.3 points is its lowest since 62.7 points in 1965.

13. Likes Narkee liked this post
    FFC Football Operations Manager ZergMinion's Avatar
    Team
    WEST COAST
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ben the Gooner View Post
    Beating Adelaide, Brisbane, Collingwood and half of West Coast isn't overly impressive. There's a similar feeling around their best 22 and Collingwood, in that there's a hell of a lot of unproven players in there all at once.

Hawthorn, Port (A), Richmond at the G before the bye. Go 2-1 and I definitely rate them top 4.
    On the other hand, they can afford to drop 6 remaining games and finish on 16 wins. Essendon can only afford to drop 4. Making a good start always reduces the mental load for the season remaining, whereas a poor start will see the pressure on each game increase (Sydney for instance can only afford 3 more losses if they want a realistic shot at a top 4 spot).

Who you play is often less important than when you play them.

FFC Agent of Chaos Big Sledge #32's Avatar
    Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    579 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

For those saying Geelong has beaten nobody of note at this stage yet have Port in their top 4 is being very selective with their data.

The Power so far has beat up on 3 sides that have 1 win between them (Adelaide, Carlton & Brisbane) and tripped up when injuries hit against a decent side in North.

Now you can only beat who you have put in front of you and Port are doing it very convincingly (the mark of a superior team), but I want to see them perform against the best before I start throwing them in the top 4.

I have Essendon in my top 4 ahead of them at the moment (along with Hawthorn, Geelong & Fremantle) as they at least pushed Hawthorn which is a good sign.

Port are in that 4-6 zone with Essendon right now.
    Baltimore Ravens Superbowl XLVII Champions
    Quote Originally Posted by Narkee View Post
    SC only

#AgentOfChaos

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    674 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by twarby View Post
    even if the Cats lose by 10 goals, its a one game sample, Bombers got smashed on Sunday yet you're still tipping them top 3.

Cats went 9-1 vs the top 8 last year, Chapman is the only player who has impressed elsewhere whos left, they've already won the most quarters for the season so aren't having their usual quiet patches they had last year in games.
    I won't be writing them off based on Monday, I'm rating them where I've rated them all along. I've tipped them in 4 games already so their 4 wins aren't going to make me reassess my bottom half of the 8 prediction. The next 3 weeks are where that gets put to the test. Like I said, go 2-1 and they're straight into my top 4.

Quote Originally Posted by ZergMinion View Post
    On the other hand, they can afford to drop 6 remaining games and finish on 16 wins. Essendon can only afford to drop 4. Making a good start always reduces the mental load for the season remaining, whereas a poor start will see the pressure on each game increase (Sydney for instance can only afford 3 more losses if they want a realistic shot at a top 4 spot).

Who you play is often less important than when you play them.
    That's true, but they have Hawthorn home and away and Fremantle home and away whereas we don't play either team again. I totally agree with the "when" aspect which is why I have Brisbane so far down the list despite only really losing one best 22 player and gaining a couple from their team that was a smother away from the finals last year. It's also why I have Adelaide as the best of the rest - win 4 in a row here and they hit an incredibly winnable 3 weeks (Coll (AO), Carl (ES), GCS (AO)) in flying form.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sledge #32 View Post
    For those saying Geelong has beaten nobody of note at this stage yet have Port in their top 4 is being very selective with their data.

The Power so far has beat up on 3 sides that have 1 win between them (Adelaide, Carlton & Brisbane) and tripped up when injuries hit against a decent side in North.

Now you can only beat who you have put in front of you and Port are doing it very convincingly (the mark of a superior team), but I want to see them perform against the best before I start throwing them in the top 4.

I have Essendon in my top 4 ahead of them at the moment (along with Hawthorn, Geelong & Fremantle) as they at least pushed Hawthorn which is a good sign.

Port are in that 4-6 zone with Essendon right now.
    Yep, not trying to downgrade Geelong based on their form, rather keeping them where I rated them until they actually get tested. Likewise Port. WCE and Geelong in the next fortnight - that's where we get to reassess them.

17. Likes Big Sledge #32 liked this post
    Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    899 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Geelong have proven nothing but they've looked pretty good doing it if that makes sense. They haven't beaten any real quality sides (I still think the Pies are actually alright) but you can't hold that against them. I do think they are a quality side once again though and top 4 is absolutely possible.

Swans need the rain to go away but it might not matter with our upcoming fixtures, basically our complete inability to do anything in the rain cost us 3 games we should have won comfortably and now we have made everything difficult. This season is reminding me of 2006, which was basically the last time we went in with any real expectations and we started terribly. Hopefully we can turn it around like we did that year, the positive I'm clinging to is we actually looked alright in the dry and we've always been a poor wet weather team under Longmire. Surely we've had just about all the rain... PLEASE!

Only thing I know at this point is that Hawthorn are the obvious pick for first, they look about two levels above everyone else at their best and are still a level above even when they don't show up like the Essendon game.
    The Truck is driving the Fish Shack in 2018... Christian Petracca is my boy!

Team
    GEELONG
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    438 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

I think hawks are up and about too early. I don't think they can play much better than they already are, whereas other teams still have a fair amount of upside. Especially Fremantle. No doubt the Hawks are quality but there will be a couple of teams that warm up as the season progresses and will give them a good shake come the business end.
    Zach Tuohy my boy for 2017!

20. Likes Big Sledge #32 liked this post