ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    289 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: Free agency 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sledge #32 View Post
    Yes but we also have to save some for next year because some bright spark thought it would be great to have Dangerfield, Tex & Sloane come out of contract (& hit Free Agency) in the same year.
    worry about next year, next year.

fact is making a big splash in free agency will help us retain players more easily than a couple of spare coins. Take sydney, players are signing up to their long term project knowing its worth being part of.

now offers still have to be competitive, but if you are going places there is more forebearance.

take danger if someone offers him $1.2M and we can only offer 950K say, having banked betts, frawley & gibbs that will be a lot easier to over as a credible offer than if we were able to offer $1,1m but little more than promises. same with sloane.

players will take less if they see you are going places, and the usual AFC circle jerk of "our window is in 2 years time" won't cut it.

I don't expect to land both of Gibbs and Frawley, but we shouldn't be leaving anything on the table in our efforts to get them
    TEX WALKER. that is all.

2. Likes dylan123, Big Sledge #32 liked this post
    Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    869 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

A lot of Sydney players took less or specifically structured deals to allow us to make that big splash as well. Do agree that showing you are committed to winning is the best way to get players to take discounts (see Geelong also). Sure some players are going to chase the $$$ no matter what but I think guys like Danger, Walker and Sloane are the types that you commit to by spending money to make the list as strong as possible and then convincing them to take slightly less to be a part of it.

You also will almost certainly be dangling the captaincy and I dare say vice captaincy carrots on all 3, I'd be surprised if come 2015 Danger and Sloane aren't the captains with Walker as vice, perhaps Danger or Sloane alone with the others under them but I think Danger and Sloane seem to be the perfect pair of captains and a great way to tie them together at the club.

Winning is without a doubt the best way to make your club attractive, see Frawley as the counterpoint, only way anyone sees him staying at Melbourne is if they are seriously competitive this year, which no one expects!
    The Truck is driving the Fish Shack in 2018... Christian Petracca is my boy!

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    659 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Twitter Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sledge #32 View Post
    Does that mean Mackay is in our top 25% for player earning at Adelaide?

If so shoot the contract maker, presuming they haven't been for Tippettgate 2 years back.
    Hocking likewise. Good servant, not a top 11 paid player.
    Never bet against Tom Rockliff

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    659 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by divvydan View Post
    Restricted
    D Mackay (Ade);
    B Gibbs (Car);

B Reid (Col);
    H Hocking (Ess);
    D Mundy (Fre);
    T Goldstein, L Hansen (Nth);
    S Hurn (WCE);
    S Higgins (WB).

Unrestricted
    J Porplyzia, B Rutten (Ade);
    J Brown, A McGrath (BL);
    M Jamison, K Simpson, J Waite (Car);
    N Maxwell, T Goldsack (Col);
    D Fletcher, L Jetta, J Winderlich (Ess);
    G Ibbotson, L McPharlin, M Pavlich (Fre);
    C Enright, J Kelly (Gee);
    B Sewell (Haw);
    J Frawley, L Dunn (Mel);
    L Adams, M Firrito, B Harvey (Nth);
    D Cassisi, K Cornes, T Logan, P Stewart (PA);
    S Edwards, J King, C Newman (Ric);
    S Fisher, J Geary, J Gwilt, L Hayes, C Jones (Stk);
    A Goodes, N Malceski, R O’Keefe, L Roberts-Thomson (Syd);
    S. Butler, D Cox, D Glass, M Rosa (WCE);
    M Boyd, D Giansiracusa, D Morris, R Murphy, T Williams (WB).
    Reckon the bold are the candidates to move. Obviously not all, but I reckon there's a decent chance for any.

Team
    WESTERN BULLDOGS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    326 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Clubs could be back ending deals for those players to give them more protection against free agency. Guys like Mackay and Hocking might be more in the 25-40% range at the club but since it only counts 2014 wages, backending the deal with more money this year can be enough to get them into the top 25%.

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    659 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

That seems like a pretty ridiculous loophole. Therefore it's almost certainly true.

Team
    WESTERN BULLDOGS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    326 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ben the Gooner View Post
    That seems like a pretty ridiculous loophole. Therefore it's almost certainly true.
    It's the same reason Frawley is unrestricted as his contracted was front ended by Melbourne when they needed to get to 92.5% of the cap.

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    869 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Haha so once again Melbourne stuffed it up.

Would make sense but I can't see too many player agents going for it unless they are incompetent or get offered a lot extra to do it.

FFC Agent of Chaos Big Sledge #32's Avatar
    Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    561 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wogitalia View Post
    Haha so once again Melbourne stuffed it up.

Would make sense but I can't see too many player agents going for it unless they are incompetent or get offered a lot extra to do it.
    He signed his contract in 2010.

A point in which they had a plethora of top 5 picks who they hoped would all be commanding big dollars by now and free agency was still just something players were pushing for. Even then they didn't know the AFL would throw in something that would protect the top 25 %.

None of those top 5 picks became stars (Trengove still might in time), but at the time I would consider that good cap management.

This is probably the one time I'll be sympathetic to the Melbourne cause, but this one is just a victim of circumstance.
    Baltimore Ravens Superbowl XLVII Champions
    Quote Originally Posted by Narkee View Post
    SC only

#AgentOfChaos

Team
    NORTH MELBOURNE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Awards Fyfe Award - for outstanding contributions

RIVAL clubs are circling North Melbourne free agent Robbie Tarrant after the former forward's strong start to 2015 in defence.
    Injuries have limited Tarrant to 46 games since he was taken by North with pick No.15 in the 2007 national draft, but the 26-year-old has been a revelation since shifting to the backline this season.
    Most clubs have been watching closely as Tarrant, 196cm and 97kg, has held his own this year against elite power forwards such as Tom Hawkins, Jarryd Roughead and Travis Cloke.

North recently opened preliminary contract discussions with Tarrant in the hope of re-signing him before he becomes an unrestricted free agent at the end of this season.
    But AFL.com.au understands that at least two rival clubs have signalled their preparedness to offer Tarrant up to $400,000 a season to lure him away from Arden Street.
    Suitors will be keen to see Tarrant play a full 2015 season given his injury-prone history, but he has become a very attractive commodity given the paucity of key defenders in the market and his ability to play in attack.
    The Brisbane Lions and Western Bulldogs are two teams actively in the market for key-position players, while Carlton, Fremantle, Adelaide, St Kilda and Geelong are among a raft of other clubs investigating trade and free agency options to shore up their spines.
    Rival list managers told AFL.com.au it would be reasonable for North to offer Tarrant about $250,000-$300,000 a season plus bonuses to play on at Arden Street.
    All agreed he could attract significantly more from opposition clubs, with some saying offers of up $450,000-$500,000 a year were possible.
    Clubs considering giving Tarrant a big pay hike will be emboldened by the widely held expectation that the salary cap will be significantly boosted from 2017 when the next broadcast and collective bargaining agreements come into effect.
    "In 2017, $450,000 or $500,000 a season is not going to take up as much of your TPP (total player payments) as it does now, so clubs will look at making offers around this mark for Tarrant," one list manager said.
    "There are not a lot of tall defenders in the market either and, unlike a draftee who needs years of development, Tarrant is ready to go.
    "Put it this way, he's not getting any cheaper for North Melbourne at the moment."
    The key defender played a straight bat when AFL.com.au asked him about his contract status last month.
    "I'm just really enjoying my footy at the moment. I'm sure my manager and the club will speak at some stage and get something done," he said.
    Tarrant has bounced back this season from recurring tibia stress injuries that restricted him to one senior game last year and sidelined him for nine straight matches in 2013.
    He did not earn a senior call-up this year until round three after the Roos preferred fellow key defender Joel Tippett in their opening two games.
    But the former Bendigo Pioneer has scarcely looked back since coming into the Roos' team against Port Adelaide in round three.
    North has lacked a 'gorilla' key defender in recent seasons but Tarrant has shown enough in his seven games this year to suggest he could develop into a very good one.
    The former forward has also retained some of his attacking instincts in his new role, averaging 17.3 possessions (ranked 10th at North) and three rebound 50s (third) this year.
    I really hope we do sign him up soon, he has been great for us this year and finally over his injuries that have cursed him early on in his career.
    Matt Crouch is my boy for 2016 season, can he dominate 2016? time will tell....................

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    659 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

Brisbane put contract talks with Leuenberger and Adcock on hold until the end of the year.

#jedcock2016 #believe

FFC Agent of Chaos Big Sledge #32's Avatar
    Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    561 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Leuey gawnnnnn

Not sure where he finds a home though. I do wonder if Fremantle would take him if Sandilands retired?

Bulldogs would be a nice fit if Minson gets pushed out of the door.
    Baltimore Ravens Superbowl XLVII Champions
    Quote Originally Posted by Narkee View Post
    SC only

#AgentOfChaos

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    869 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Would be nice if he has played himself below average salary... because Sydney is the very obvious fit for him but alas we aren't allowed to recruit if he is average or higher.

It's tough because he has been really rubbish this year, admittedly playing out of position, but he has basically proven he can't operate successfully as a forward so wherever he heads would need to be as the #1 ruckman and really the only sides he could do that at are Sydney, Essendon, Carlton, St Kilda, Hawthorn, Gold Coast, Melbourne and Geelong and most of those clubs have already invested heavily in similarly disappointing types who are quite often younger.

Will be interesting either way.

Team
    WEST COAST
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    906 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Tigers might be interested in Berger - Mr Gale is rubbish, Griffiths/Vickery are more fwds than rucks. Maric is 29 now so need to find a decent ruck to replace him soon.
    SC is FFC's number 1 fantasy game