Team
    HAWTHORN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2013 strategy re: midfield structure

G'day fellas good to be back thinking about SC (yeah i have an off-season unlike some)

Anyhow I only registered yesterday and put my first draft side together last night so not only am I looking at players but i'm still mulling over what the new 8:10:4:8 line-up, extra trades, rolling lockouts and extra emergencies potentially mean interms of strategy.

One thought is what ratio of midfield premo's:rookies should I aim for in my starting side? At this stage i'm still mulling over say a 4P:6R or 3UltraP:7R structure, thinking that it will maximise having the best scoring/earliest maturing midfield type rookies in the side and conversely less of the poorer scoring def/fwd rookie guys. Or does the lack of starting midfield premo's negate any potential advantage that these 'better' midfield rookies may have over an 'inferior' fwd/def rookie?

Apologise if this has been covered somewhere else already, sportz
    "I spend 90% of my income on women and whiskey, the rest I just waste!"

FFC Mature-aged Rookie johno686's Avatar
    Team
    RICHMOND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: 2013 strategy re: midfield structure

I'm going 4 Ultra Prem and 1 mid price i think will make a jump to prem in the midfield.
    Go Tiges!!!

Team
    GEELONG
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At this stage I have five prem and five rookies in my mids. I don't like spending too much on prem backs or forwards at the start of the season as they can be so unpredictable. I prefer to wait and see how the backs and forwards are performing then make the appropriate upgrades.

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    899 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Same as TomCats for me, for me the other positions generally pick the mids and this year the forward rookie options in particular are driving me towards more mids.
    The Truck is driving the Fish Shack in 2018... Christian Petracca is my boy!

FFC Senior Assistant Coach Bonnie Doon Thirds's Avatar
    Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I'm in the 4 ultra premiums, one underpriced premium (Mundy) and 5 rookie bracket. The rookies look quality in the MID's this year and very thin down FWD.
    __________________________________________________ _________________

Going early on Aaron Francis - My boy for 2017.

Team
    HAWTHORN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheers for the responses fellas greatly appreachiated!!

The obvious question for those that are going to go with a 4 Ultra premium set up is are you concerned about the rnd13 bye? Of course i'm assuming that the ultra premo's are a 1,2,3 of ablett, swan , dependles and take your pick of about 6 0r so others for no.4. spot. Just thinking that collingwood and GC share the same bye?
    Last edited by sportztragic; 17th February 2013 at 03:39 PM. Reason: punctuation/spelling

Team
    NORTH MELBOURNE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Awards Fyfe Award - for outstanding contributions

Have gone for a 5 premium and 1 midpriced midfield this year, will see how it goes and hopefully the players picked in the backline don't fail scoring wise.

Not really concerned about byes this season will just run the minefield when it though your bench players will score for you in those rounds anyway if they aren't on the field.
    Matt Crouch is my boy for 2016 season, can he dominate 2016? time will tell....................

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    899 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Quote Originally Posted by Kangamagic View Post
    Have gone for a 5 premium and 1 midpriced midfield this year, will see how it goes and hopefully the players picked in the backline don't fail scoring wise.

Not really concerned about byes this season will just run the minefield when it though your bench players will score for you in those rounds anyway if they aren't on the field.
    Players have to be on the field to score, emergencies will only cover for the line they are on, so having 10 midfielders playing in one week wont cover other positions or at least that is how I've understood it.
    The Truck is driving the Fish Shack in 2018... Christian Petracca is my boy!

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wogitalia View Post
    Players have to be on the field to score, emergencies will only cover for the line they are on, so having 10 midfielders playing in one week wont cover other positions or at least that is how I've understood it.
    That's also my understanding. You still need a reasonably balanced side, particularly in the MIDs so that you can take 8 scores from that part of the ground. You then only have to find 10 scores from the remaining areas (eg 4 BACKs, 5 FWDs and 1 RUCK)

10. Likes sportztragic liked this post
    Team
    HAWTHORN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ahhh so we aren't having a best 18 scores regardless of position system in the byes this year, cheers for clearing that up!