Team
    ST KILDA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

St Kilda General Discussion Thread

Without being too specific, thought I'd start up a thread where we can talk on the Saints season so far and what's coming up.

Quietly going about our business, sitting at 5-4. Haven't done anything amazing, but yet to fall off the radar.
    Recent wins against Sydney and Carlton have been good for our standings.

Not sure where we sit, probably bottom end of the 8, but I am definitely enjoying a refreshing change in game style. Open and attacking. Our defence is extremely suspect and gets cut open like it never did in the Lyon Cage days, but it often holds up alright and our rebound has been generally effective.
    (Getting Fish back will also give us a boost!)

Young kids actually coming through now.
    Blokes like Simpkin and Newnes in defence, Stanley is finally getting a regular game. Our mature age recruits Saad and Mileera are doing damage when they get opportunities (covering nicely for Schneider)
    Steven and Armitage are now first choice midfielders which is nice.

Just my take on them to this point, think we'll push for finals, not sure on how we'll go tonight v Richmond. Could go either way but I feel if we're able to hold down our posts defensively and tighten up in that regard we're a big chance! I'm confident the Saints forward line will trouble Richmond, and our midfield shouldn't be allowed to let up.
    Jones to Cotchin?
    Last edited by bailz66; 1st October 2013 at 07:41 PM.
    The Fantasy Footy Club: Like us on Facebook! |Follow us on Twitter!
    The Wizards of OZ FFC (est 2009)

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    868 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Re: St Kilda 2012 General Discussion Thread

Give you guys every chance tonight but will tip Richmond myself.

Been impressed with what Watters has been able to do. Most impressive thing is that you are winning despite Dal Santo, Goddard and Montagna (prior to last week for Joey) rather than because of them. In the past if those guys had played like they have so far you'd have struggled to win a game.

Jack Steven has been excellent this year, really reminds me of Dane Swan, probably because of that ugly waddling running style and the sometimes horrible kicking (always looks bad) and really I don't see any reason he can't become a comparable player if he keeps building his tank.

Armitage is doing what I always thought he could, I've probably always overrated him but is having an excellent season also.

Doesn't hurt to have Lenny back, just a gun, not to slight Roo but Hayes is and always has been the leader of that team.

Missing Fisher right now but with Gwilt back and Fisher to return that will strengthen the defense greatly, as will McEvoy coming back to release Blake. Essentially your 3 best key defenders have played 1 game over the past month. You get Blake and Gwilt on the key forwards, Fisher giving everyone help and have Simpkin as the 3rd tall. Gilbert stops having to play tall. It just all slots back together.

Will also be nice when Schneider slots back in to give a bit more class up forward.

The Saints are looking dangerous. If Dal and Goddard can hit form over the 2nd half and Montagna can build on last week, there isn't really any reason that you can't make the GF with no real standout teams so far. Similar to Geelong last year, new coach brings a few changes and releases a few guys to new roles. Saad, Milera, Steven and Armitage can add what guys like Varcoe, Christensen, Wojo et al were able to do for Geelong and just add some spark.
    The Truck is driving the Fish Shack in 2018... Christian Petracca is my boy!

FFC Senior Assistant Coach Pumbi's Avatar
    Team
    ST KILDA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If tonights game was at the MCG I would actually be so confident in a Richmond victory but the fact that its at Etihad gives us a chance. I think its a tad concerning how reliant we are on playing under the roof but at the same time its satisfying to know that we probably play it better than any other side in the comp.
    Connors > Deledio

Team
    ST KILDA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Agree on your assessment of us Wog, definitely looks like a more 'even' spread and contributions from different players.
    Midfield looks better despite the likes of NDS and Joey not hitting their stride. Goddard has been his usual self but hasn't impacted games in the same way he has in the past.

Fisher is such a structural cog for us in defence, will be great when he's back. Simpkin has held down FB adequately, especially for a younger player.
    Dempster is one of the most versatile defenders in the comp surely? Played Franklin one week and Betts the next.

Team
    ST KILDA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Huge test this week in Adelaide!

Not sure how we'll fair, couple of important inclusions will help us. Will need our midfield to again compete well, and one of Roo/Kosi to have a fair game up forward. Again confident our defence can hold steady.

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    868 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

You need Dal Santo and Hayes to have big games this week, think your defense can handle their forwards as long as the supply isn't off the chain and your forwards can kick goals as long as the supply is decent, so it's going to come down to the midfield to probably win the battle not just break even.
    The Truck is driving the Fish Shack in 2018... Christian Petracca is my boy!

Team
    MELBOURNE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    465 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An article on the AFL website today says that...

Brendon Goddard, Leigh Montagna and Lenny Hayes head a deep list of uncontracted Saints that also includes Justin Koschitzke, Jason Gram, James Gwilt, Stephen Milne, Sam Gilbert, Raph Clarke, Rhys Stanley, Arryn Siposs and Jarryn Geary.

But the Saints anticipate all will remain at the club next year, with Bains scoffing at suggestions within the football industry that the club might need to lose a big name in order to remain under the cap next year.

"We understand what the perception is like outside the club, even though we think our salary cap issues have been overstated by the media," he said.

"There is not the level of stress here at the club that some have reported.
    Who should the Saints throw the chequebook at and who should they let slip? Which players could we expect other clubs to make a play for?
    #teamANB

FFC Senior Assistant Coach thomas_18's Avatar
    Team
    ST KILDA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think we should keep most of the guns. If BJ wants to walk, let him. Monty wants to stay, but if he wants to walk we'd get something nice for him. I'd like to keep them all, although if any of them want to leave I'm open to deal (Hayes & Milne will stay, deserve to finish as 1 club players).

KPB is obviously the big area we should look at, Chaplain/Carlisle wouldn't go too far astray at our club, or any other KPB who would like to come to our club. Sauce Merrett maybe? Not sure we'd have a stack to throw at anyone though. If a big name wants to walk, we'd definitely be able to get a decent back for them.

I heard Grammy is on 400k and Kosi 500k+, which is insane. Neither of those guys can be anywhere near that next year if we wanna advance as a club, but I think they have clauses in their contract which grant them an extra year granted they play a certain amount of games.
    St Kilda 2011 - Finish 6th, lose first final, lose maligned yet valuable player (Dawson)
    Collingwood 2013 - Finish 6th, lose first final, lose maligned yet valuable player (Thomas)

St Kilda 2012 - Close to but miss finals, lose marquee midfielder (Goddard)
    Collingwood 2014 - Close to but miss finals, lose marquee midfielder (Beams)

St Kilda 2013 - Finish 16th, lose Dal Santo, sack coach
    Collingwood 2015 - ?

Team
    WESTERN BULLDOGS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    325 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Sam Dunell has been elevated onto St Kilda's main list as the mid-season rookie. Good chance of playing this week with Steven suspended for his drink-driving incident.

22yo midfielder, 190cm. Played at Bendigo and Old Melburnians last year. Averaging just under 71dt this season at Sandringham.

Fantasy listing:

MID $99.8kDT/$108.7kSC/$96.3kSB.

FFC Senior Assistant Coach His_Holiness's Avatar
    Team
    FREMANTLE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Twitter: His_Holiness15

Team
    WESTERN BULLDOGS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    325 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

It's hunting season and the first names to be culled are: Peake, Polo, Crocker, Archer. All have today been delisted by the Saints.

http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/208/defa...?newsid=146914

Team
    NORTH MELBOURNE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Raph and CJ also possibly in the gun? Has Winmar done anything to remain?

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    578 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

How Raph has lasted as long as he has on an AFL list is a miracle imo.

Would be surprised to see CJ go though after his 2011 season.

Team
    WEST COAST
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    906 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

St Kilda Player Charged Amidst Stalking Allegation
    http://www.triplem.com.au/sydney/spo...1030-hio8.html

A St Kilda player has been arrested and held in custody over stalking allegations.

Police have confirmed a 28-year-old Mordialloc man was arrested and charged with breaching an intervention order and was remanded into custody.

He was expected to appear in Moorabbin Magistrates Court on Tuesday to apply for bail, however police are reportedly contesting his bail application.

Triple M News is working on confirming further details and will have more in our hourly bulletin.
    http://www.triplem.com.au/sydney/spo...1030-hio8.html

Reports are that player is Jason Gram - to be confirmed though.
    SC is FFC's number 1 fantasy game

Team
    WEST COAST
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    906 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

From twitter :-

Footy Couch ‏@footycouch
    Jason Gram reportedly charged with stalking. Surprising given his general aversion to coming within 10 metres of an opponent
    SC is FFC's number 1 fantasy game