Mentioned
    586 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: Random Adelaide Thread

Quote Originally Posted by twarby View Post
    Swans aren't going that well, should be closer than people think

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    After Gibbs our midfield looks very weak right now without Sloane and x2 Crouch.

Bit bemused with Otten's selection given Pyke admitted we went in too tall last week so he proceeds to drop Fogarty for someone with less speed/defensive pressure in Otten. Maybe the plan is to play him in the backline as I believe he's been doing in the SANFL but it's a strange swap.

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    892 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Quote Originally Posted by twarby View Post
    Swans aren't going that well, should be closer than people think

I think we've actually been pretty decent. We were terrible for a half against Port and didn't put any scoreboard pressure on them while we were dominating them in the first half, we got lucky that GWS kicked horrifically and took the win and the win last week was a pretty solid effort as was the win over the Eagles, no real read on either of those sides yet as to whether they're as good as their good play or as bad as their bad play but both are pretty solid sides to beat on the road still.

Not that we're playing well or anything but we're not playing as badly as we did at the start of last year at least.

Do agree it will be closer though, Adelaide play and matchup well with us, their big forward line negates our "strategy" of allowing teams to repeat bomb F50 entries until we find a gap to rebound through because they've got genuine marking targets who pluck it in packs and stop us bringing to ground.

Still, if the Swans midfield can't dominate this week they never will and that should decide it. Be interesting to see if Jacobs shows up this week or has another absolute mare.
    The Truck is driving the Fish Shack in 2018... Christian Petracca is my boy!

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wogitalia View Post
    I think we've actually been pretty decent. We were terrible for a half against Port and didn't put any scoreboard pressure on them while we were dominating them in the first half, we got lucky that GWS kicked horrifically and took the win and the win last week was a pretty solid effort as was the win over the Eagles, no real read on either of those sides yet as to whether they're as good as their good play or as bad as their bad play but both are pretty solid sides to beat on the road still.

Not that we're playing well or anything but we're not playing as badly as we did at the start of last year at least.
    You've been fine, but could easily be 1-3 if hadn't been so accurate/ opponent been inaccurate. Been out shot 3/4 games.
    Hasnt been the easiest draw I guess.

Also think the Adelaide bashing is a bit weird from other places too, they are undermanned but besides last week they've played pretty well imo.

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    586 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Media does love to sink the boot into Tex.

Team
    WESTERN BULLDOGS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Another week, another Adelaide injury. This time, however, it's Mackay out for a month, so I imagine everyone will be pretty happy about that.

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    586 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Nothing personal but I ront think he'll be missed, at least with what he does on the field.

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hopefully we never see him again. No coincidence we played a lot better as soon as he got injured last week.

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    892 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Finally the injury that Crows fans have been praying for...

Surely this is the mercy kill for him, puts his claim for worst player to play 200 games in serious jeopardy as well.
    The Truck is driving the Fish Shack in 2018... Christian Petracca is my boy!

FFC Agent of Chaos Big Sledge #32's Avatar
    Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    577 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wogitalia View Post
    Finally the injury that Crows fans have been praying for...

Surely this is the mercy kill for him, puts his claim for worst player to play 200 games in serious jeopardy as well.
    I'm so nervous that we're going to announce a re-signing during his 4 week absence.
    Baltimore Ravens Superbowl XLVII Champions
    Quote Originally Posted by Narkee View Post
    SC only

#AgentOfChaos

Team
    WESTERN BULLDOGS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I know she's a very polarising person but Caro has written an article about Adelaide's season, giving more information (especially for those not in SA where I'm sure it's talked about more) about the camp, the fallout, etc.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...31-p500zr.html

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    586 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

All for the media pressure on the club as they've handled this as poorly as possible and continue to try and make sure no one is held accountable.

I feel for Tex as he's the only one from the club fronting up to the media and he's copping it from every direction with no support whatsoever.

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    577 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

So Adelaide played Port in an U23 trial game yesterday and they streamed on the AFC site (replay is still on there if you want a look). I figured I'd put some thoughts out on it. I watched most of the first 3 and bit quarters before I had to leave for work.

Firstly, while it was an U23 game mostly there were some overage players in the pool. Most notably Brad Crouch, but also Broadbent from Port and Matt Wright was running around at some point for us who is a playing coach with our reserves side I think.

Adelaide had a lot of the run early, before Port would fight back then Adelaide seized initiative through the second quarter. Then Port ran out the game a lot better and reeled in a 30 odd point deficit to win out in a pretty hot day in Adelaide.

Brad Crouch had a decent amount of ball, more importantly he didn't get hurt. He had a lot of clearances, but he was literally a man against boys and still didn't impose himself like many fans were probably hoping. I still think he might start slow like he has in the past after missing a year.

Shane McAdam kicked 3 goals for the day, he seems like he offers a lot to our forward line. He's the mature age steak knives Carlton sent across from the SANFL during the McGovern trade. I'd keep him on your watch lists because if he plays he could be a boom or bust rookie FWD option depending on how many goals that he kicks for the day. Wait and see how we structure up when we start playing with a stronger line up.

Tyson Stengle is another who staked his claim for a spot as Eddie's sidekick this year kicking 4 goals for the day. We traded for him from Richmond so he seems to be a targeted need and he would be putting himself into the frame alongside McAdam an a few others I'll mention later.

Ned McHenry is one who I don't think plays round one, but I won't be surprised if he plays later on in the year once injuries take their toll. He had a very good first quarter, then faded in and out of the game at will. But had a solid snap and a few slick side steps which made me take notice. He's one of our first round choices from the last year's draft.

Chayce Jones is our other first round draft pick and he looked well off the pace early. This year will be a development year for him and I really doubt he makes the side at any point. He didn't look ready against the boys, the men would eat him alive at this point.

Outside of that Doedee looked himself, he won't have the ceiling to make him a top 6 defender but take him with relative confidence in draft leagues.

Reilly O'Brien looked okay, he wasn't against anyone special in the ruck but he had a sublime tap to Crouch at one point which highlighted their potential. He had a genuinely excellent mark early and kicked a solid goal. The rumours are he is taking it right up Sauce in the preseason training so if he somehow forces Sauce out he becomes an interesting R3 candidate. But that's a long way to go.

My main takeaway from Adelaide is that we're a relatively boring team from a fantasy rookie viewpoint because we just don't have many spots in our best 22 for them to take at this point. But the one point of interest is what we do with McGovern's spot. We can simply replace him with Fog (who still looks like an absolute unit) or we could use it as an opportunity to go smaller and faster in our forward line. Which is where McAdam, Stengle, McHenry and Murphy come into play. All 4 of these guys showed a bit today at various points and I think one of them is a good shot to make our team come round one. So something like

HFF: Gallucci Jenkins Lynch
    FF: Betts Walker + 1 of Fog/McAdam/Stengle/Murphy/McHenry etc

It is a lot of names but it is a pretty open race.

One the Port side a few things stood out.

Duursma I like a lot, he was putting on a lot of pressure and has some mongrel in him. Did some good things early and I want to see the rest of his NAB campaign.

Rozee I didn't really notice much early but he finished with 2 goals, he's still going to be right on the line of their best 22. Today would have probably snuck him just inside of it.

Broadbent was another men against boys candidate, but he looks fit and he was racking up possessions early. There's probably too many rookie options to bother with him but he should make money and be best 22 so that's always worth considering.

I thought Butters showed a bit as well, got a clearance or two and hit the scoreboard. All 3 of Butters, Rozee & Duursma could see action in 2019 at various points.

At the end of the day it was an under 23 trial so it means very little other than an extended look at some young talent. Was more than happy to watch the boys get into it again though.

Feel free to ask any questions and I'll answer if I can.
    SC only

#AgentOfChaos

13. Likes Narkee, Wogitalia, dylan123, Athomas, Bunga, Wheedus liked this post
    Team
    CARLTON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    482 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the thoughts Sledgey. Like to hear that about Brad Crouch beacuse I was never really interested with his durability history.

I was expecting at least one of Stengle/McAdam to play in the Crows R1 side (potentially both with one on the bench?)
    Is Galucci locked in? Did he play in this one?

And yeah the 3 Port rookies are very interesting. It sounds like Rozee is very classy, but that doesn't necessirly mean fantasy relevant at his slightly higher price tag. And the other boys are staking a claim too. Might just have to pick whichever of the two cheaper ones are named Round 1 and pray. (assuming there aren't an abundance of options elsewhere)
    AFL Twitter --------------------------- This post is SC related--------------------------Movie Twitter

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    586 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Only got around to watching the first quarter today, shame Milera wasn't out there (anyone know why?) as I'm actually tempted to select him in SC. Think he'll get some kick out duties and seems to be set for a run on the wing - posted some of our best time trial numbers and has had knee tendinitis issues previous seasons which have held him back. The move to HBF over HFF has been huge for him so having him behind the ball or on the wing should be rather beneficial and someone we should push to have the ball in the hands of - if we can keep him, Smith and Seedsman on the park together we should have some decent run.

Haven't gone through a B22 myself and not really following this pre season so closely (mainly because Adelaide do so little for their fans you can't get much information like we used to unfortunately) however with McGovern going out it basically means we have an option to replace him with a marking forward like Fogarty or go smaller and consider a Stengle/McAdam/Murphy/Gallucci/other options. McAdams from what I can gather has had a pretty interrupted pre season and he's coming from his first season in the SANFL last year so I don't think he had a great fitness base to begin with.

As BS said, Duursma really stood out in the first quarter, mainly with his defensive efforts.

16. Likes Big Sledge #32 liked this post
    Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    577 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Athomas View Post
    Thanks for the thoughts Sledgey. Like to hear that about Brad Crouch beacuse I was never really interested with his durability history.

I was expecting at least one of Stengle/McAdam to play in the Crows R1 side (potentially both with one on the bench?)
    Is Galucci locked in? Did he play in this one?

And yeah the 3 Port rookies are very interesting. It sounds like Rozee is very classy, but that doesn't necessirly mean fantasy relevant at his slightly higher price tag. And the other boys are staking a claim too. Might just have to pick whichever of the two cheaper ones are named Round 1 and pray. (assuming there aren't an abundance of options elsewhere)
    I think Gallucci is pencilled into our best 22, he made some real strides in the second half of last year. He offers pace which is something our team lacks after Cameron left. I hope he continues to develop in a similar manner to Florent at Sydney. Slowly making more impact on games and provide enough reasons to keep the likes of Mackay in the SANFL.

He played yesterday and was solid, but not outstanding. I didn't mention him because he isn't really fantasy relevant outside of potentially taking up a spot in the best 22.
    SC only

#AgentOfChaos