ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Twitter Poster

Random Adelaide Thread

I thought that it was about time that this board had a thread like this...

I am not trolling, this is a serious question. Where would Dangerfield be playing if Craig was still the coach? Was Dangerfield capable of this like we have all thought last year? I know that we start every year looking so closely at him, but it is hard to think of the exact reason why he has developed so drastically this year?

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    289 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think its part position (craig would still be playing walker reserves and needing danger fwd), and part game style.

Sando is encouraging guys to hit the contest HARD. And that plays to Danger's strengths. Craig didn't want the players to cross the line - and that creates doubt

I ****ing hate Neil Craig

In case you were wondering, still not over it
    TEX WALKER. that is all.

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Random Adelaide Thread

Haha, yes Craig was definitely halting his development I believe. Just look now at Melbourne, all their players are being played out of position as well

That said, I think Sanderson has had more of a positive effect on him then Craig had a negative effect so to speak. He just seems to be a lot more confident in his ability now, and I have no doubt that the new coach was a fundamental part of that.

Biggest difference for mine is his outside game, I recall shooting down a few people in the pre-season when he was mentioned as a DT option and I feel really bad about it now. He appears to be better at spreading from the packs now and he's the fastest player in the comp so with that speed becomes really damaging.
    Never argue with a fool. They'll drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

FFC Agent of Chaos Big Sledge #32's Avatar
    Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    561 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Thumpy View Post
    Biggest difference for mine is his outside game, I recall shooting down a few people in the pre-season when he was mentioned as a DT option and I feel really bad about it now. He appears to be better at spreading from the packs now and he's the fastest player in the comp so with that speed becomes really damaging.
    I was exactly the same, I would've said he is a SC only option about 10 times over the Summer. Although some of those were laced with a disclaimer of if he can reach 90 in DT he'll be 110+ in SC, so at least that was right.

I think we would've still seen a break out under Craig but I don't believe us as a club would be 7-1. I also don't think it would be as drastic as we've seen this year. He was arguably under performed in 2011 due to role so he is over compensating his improvement this year.

Walker & Tippett are the two I am more interested in when it regards what ifs in 2012. I doubt either would've been as good this year with last years directives in place.
    Baltimore Ravens Superbowl XLVII Champions
    Quote Originally Posted by Narkee View Post
    SC only

#AgentOfChaos

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Twitter Poster

The thing that I think is so valuable for a coach now, in my opinion, is not so much the game plan, but working with people. Sanderson seems to have lifted everyone 10%, and some people by even more. Managing people is going to be something that will prove to be the missing ingredient that many clubs lack.

As a footy fan, the Crows transformation has been a delight to watch.

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    289 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Danger with that combo of explosive power, strength and speed reminds me of a young Gary Ablett Snr, back when he used to play HBF/Wing
    TEX WALKER. that is all.

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it too bold a call to say he will turn out better than Roo by the end of his career?
    Never argue with a fool. They'll drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    289 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

you can't say that, too much water under the bridge to go before then. He definitely has the potential to be as good or who knows, maybe even better?
    the difference between the 2 is speed. Roo never had that explosive first step or breakaway speed, even when he started out. They both have what they call in the NFL explosive upper body violence. the ability to create force on impact, from great thrust off 1 or 2 steps.

Danger also hasn't shown that hot headed stupidity that marred a few too many moments in Roo's career for me - witness the 2005, round 22 elbow to Adam Selwood for example. Maybe that lack of volality will hold him back as well, particularly on the big stage - you can never tell.

but as far as physical tools and attributes, he has it all. and maybe *touch wood* you never know how a player who relies on such things goes if Injury robs him of a little of that over his career?
    TEX WALKER. that is all.

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I was talking hypothetically, obviously it would take a huge effort to match Ricciuto but at this stage of his career Dangerfield looks like a more complete player to me. Physical wise, captaincy wise he seems to have the same as qualities as Roo when he was younger, but like you said his speed and class could potentially make him that bit better.

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    561 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy View Post
    The thing that I think is so valuable for a coach now, in my opinion, is not so much the game plan, but working with people. Sanderson seems to have lifted everyone 10%, and some people by even more. Managing people is going to be something that will prove to be the missing ingredient that many clubs lack.

As a footy fan, the Crows transformation has been a delight to watch.
    His turnaround of Reilly has been outstanding, also loving the move of Johncock up forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumpy View Post
    Is it too bold a call to say he will turn out better than Roo by the end of his career?
    Huge call, how close he gets will depend on his injury run, he could theoretically end up greater.

I don't want to say there is a limit on what he can accomplish, but I wouldn't want to start throwing out huge expectations for him now. I'm just happy he has hit this level right now.
    SC only

#AgentOfChaos

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    289 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

good call on Reilly by the way Sledgey.

He looks like he believes in, trusts and understands his role. big win for us, as we need someone better than symes or doughty in that role, and it gives us a useful role for Reilly.
    TEX WALKER. that is all.

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    561 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Reilly has always been a good kick, he just struggles at times when there is a lot of pressure on the ball user. So playing in defence has been great for him as he can burst through offering great delivery up forward. He is also good defensively which is why we had some success with him as a tagger in 2010, but last year he struggled when playing on the best of the best. He is a vast improvement on the likes of Symes and van Berlo is a vast improvement as our defensive midfielder as well. Has the fitness to go with pretty much anyone, I can't wait to see him go to Stanton in August.

Bickley is the one who put Reilly down back, he deserves some credit for the moves origins.

Hendo is the other guy I'm changing my mind on yet again, is much improved and even added a bit of hardness to his game. This time last year I was calling for his head (pretty sure they dropped Walker instead).
    SC only

#AgentOfChaos

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    868 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Adelaide are really fun to watch this year, it's great for football.

Danger looked similar to this year at the end of last year when Bickley released him as well, he has certainly improved but the ability was there last year.

It's very interesting to me that the two sides that put a determined focus on getting bigger over the offseason have been the best two teams so far this year. It would seem that the game has possibly taken a step back towards bigger being better after the past 5 or so years of speed being king.

I do think Sledge has hit a vital point, Bickley still being there was a great move by the club, I actually think he did enough to be the coach at the end of last year but unfortunately he was part of the Craig regime that simply needed to go and despite his best efforts to change everything over the last 6 weeks(or whatever it was) he was never going to be able to get past that.

I do love how simple Adelaide have kept it. They put their best players in the midfield. they aren't getting clever trying to generate run off back flanks or get some creativity forward, they quite simply put their best players in there with a determined focus on winning the clearances and putting the ball in the forward line where they have targets and an ability to control the game.

This game is still so simple, the other team can't score as long as the ball is in your F50, Adelaide are built around that and have gone all out to win the midfield battle. On a flip side, it doesn't surprise me that the game they've lost came against the team that rebounds better than anyone else, they still have holes in their side and teams that can lose clearances and recover to score will trouble them(Eagles for example). Just love the old school approach though. Midfield will always rule this game.

As for Danger... reminds me of Goodes in many ways with his ability to get out of packs and hit the ball at speed with the idea being to get the ball on his boot. Does have some Judd qualities in his ability to get the hands out as well when he probably shouldn't be able to. His explosive ability is just awesome to watch.

Still like Sloane more though, even if he isn't the better player!
    The Truck is driving the Fish Shack in 2018... Christian Petracca is my boy!

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    561 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsartic...4/default.aspx

"We're (Sloane and Dangerfield) both loyal people, we're both enjoying our footy over here at the moment and I know we both love the way Brenton (Sanderson) is handling things," he said.

"It's a great feeling around the club and it's something that would be great to be involved in over the next couple of years.

"Hopefully we'll have something finalised soon."
    Just on Sloane Wogi
    SC only

#AgentOfChaos

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    289 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sledge #32 View Post
    Reilly has always been a good kick, he just struggles at times when there is a lot of pressure on the ball user.

this is spot on. Reilly in play was actually a terrible kick, dreadful absolutely awful. Too many people used to say how good he was in training proved he was a good kick, and my belief was always that he was a poor/slow decision maker so that he was always executing under pressure.

that said, I think you are probably more right - that its not so much the speed of decision making, but the pressure on the ball carrier. Given him a position where he has a bit more time, and his kicking is miles better, and he starts to look like the great kick everyone says he is.

stop trying to turn lemonade into beer, and he looks like a million bucks.
    TEX WALKER. that is all.