NORTH MELBOURNE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Awards Fyfe Award - for outstanding contributions

Top 10 players in each position

This is my list of top players in each position for Supercoach at the end of 2012 - always something to talk about because I can see a few interesting picks I have included.

Defence - I have Grima and I really rate him as a defender, its really a matter of him improving his game but he is no doubt a risky pick given he is a key defender. Though most of the players are popular and common picks in many starting squads, everyone will have their opinion and no doubt Grima is a very risky pick and there are many others who could have slotted in at 10 like Newman, Suckling etc
    Goddard, Deledio are two must have players I feel and Shaw should back it up in 2012 as he would want to repay his team mates after missing games with his little incident in 2011.
    Broughton is in the top 5 best players at Fremantle and I expect them as a team to be right up there as a group, but the key is they have to win games in Melbourne and hopefully they can do that with a good healthy list,

Midfielders - is where its at, Dal Santo has slid out because I rate Hawthorns strong midfield ahead of the Saints midfield at the moment. Hodge, Swallow, Priddis, Scott Thompson and Dale Thomas all couldn't make it into my list but you never know they could excel and be right up there again which I am sure they will have great seasons for their teams. I have included 3 Carlton midfielders in Judd, Murphy and Gibbs. Gibb is a great user of the ball and doesn't make to many errors, he is like a Goddard for Carlton because he can play almost anywhere though Ratten has mentioned he will play majority in the midfield because lets face it Carlton need to have their best players in the middle to win more ball to give their forwards the best chance of scoring. The other good thing about Gibbs is that he can play forward and have a great impact on games, they are going to take some beating the Blues this season I feel but they have to get their forward line happening if they are to win a flag IMO.

Rucks - These guys stick out on my list, everyone is thinking what kind of impact will McIntosh have on Goldstein well I say if you really think it won't effect much then go with your gut feel on Goldy because he is North's number one ruck. I can see them playing alongside each other and spending time ruck and forward, it didn't effect Cox/Nic Nat last season.
    Norths midfield at the centre bounces consisted of Goldy/Wells/Swallow/Ziebell and they ranked number 1 with 120 centre bounces (52 more then the next best) way ahead of Jolly/Ball/Swan/Pendlebury. Though early on in the season North will be missing Ziebell(first 2 games, and maybe Wells) but we will see if that has any kind of impact on Goldy and who else would play in the middle in their absence.
    Mumford is a beast and will continue to do his part around the stoppages, only thing is durablity could be an issue though he is flying in the pre-season. Luenberger I rate very much as a ruck and will work with Ben Hudson but I don't think that will be to much of an effort for him.
    Then you have Sandilands everyone worrys about his durability regarding his injury issues and his resting possibility - maybe Lyon will rest him given they have a good list of rucks in Clarke and Griffin who should they are more then capable of doing the job when the big man isn't there.
    Cox can he continue his great form, some say he will fade with the emergence of Nic Nat who is just a great talent for the Eagles side.
    A safer option would be McEvoy who is pretty much their only ruck and had a great 2011 but can he back it up? You would think he should be scoring well over 100 and has plenty of room for improvement with another pre-season under his belt.

Forwards - I think this one of the toughest lines to predict with so many good options. Franklin and Cloke are the two best key forwards in the competition and should score highly again you would think, but then you have Riewoldt who many feel won't be in the best because of knee issues and the team going through abit of a slide - can still see him scoring quite well just needs to get help around him and get his kicking boots on in front of goal to hurt the opposition.
    So many midfield/forwards to look at with Martin, Sidebottom, Robinson, Lewis, Beams and even Didak who had a shocking season but has the skills to score highly if given the licence to let himself play his natural game in the midfield and forward line.
    Chapman can he stay keep scoring well? Given Geelong has one of the oldest lists you can't write them off and you have the impressive and smart Steve Johnson who just had one of his best seasons in 2011 doing amazing things around the goals and in the midfield.
    Zaharakis I love as a player and I have to select him in my team, in the leadership group which means more responsibility - should continue his midfield/forward role or if not full time midfield where he can break the lines with his pace and good long kicking.
    Goodes is just a genuis always does well but you can't write him off given his age, could have had Boomer in this list but left him out. Rioli if he can stay in the midfield and injury free he should score highly as he knows how to tackle and kicks goals when it matter is just a star!

Defenders
    Goddard
    Shaw
    Deledio
    Broughton
    Fisher
    Enright
    Birchall
    Bock
    Scotland
    Grima

Midfielders
    Ablett
    Pendlebury
    Swan
    Judd
    Murphy
    Gibbs
    Selwood
    Rockcliff
    Boyd
    Mitchell

Rucks (only 6)
    Sandilands
    Mumford
    McEvoy
    Goldstein
    Leunenberger
    Cox

Forwards
    Franklin
    Cloke
    Zaharakis
    Beams
    Chapman
    S.Johnson
    Martin
    Riewoldt
    Rioli
    Goodes

There are so many players who missed the list in their positions but its so hard to do, many players could drop off but its a tough gig trying to get the best at the start and working your way toward getting your team set for the season. The bye rounds will be full on and I still am wondering what the best way is about sorting through that - most likely will ride it out but we will think about it more as there is plenty of time.

Also look forward to everyone's comments and their thoughts regarding Supercoach 2012 with their best players in each position.

Matt Crouch is my boy for 2016 season, can he dominate 2016? time will tell....................

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    712 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Re: Top 10 players in each position

Great write up KM,

like most of the players, a couple i would add

I think Adcock will be there by seasons end. Newman is also normally good for the top 10.

Watson in the mids. If he can stay fit i would have him in the top 10 comfortably. Same could be said for Mundy not sure who to drop out of your list though.

And what about ?

Team
    NORTH MELBOURNE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Awards Fyfe Award - for outstanding contributions

Yeah I love Watson also but didn't add him in which I probably should have, he averaged 120 ppg in his first 7 rounds last season before he did his hamstring against Brisbane at the Gabba and he scored 88 that game. He is one to look out for just needs to stay on the park and hopefully the new conditioning staff are on top of that in regards to his fitness.

Newman I mentioned him in the defence but couldn't fit him in and Fyfe I couldn't put him in either though we will see how he goes this season and if he can back it up again.
    Matt Crouch is my boy for 2016 season, can he dominate 2016? time will tell....................

Team
    WEST COAST
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    924 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Great list Kanga, will do my own during the week.

In defence - Newman, Suckling, Adcock & Hurn all have claims.

Midfield - Priddis, Watson, Mundy, Swallow, possibly Barlow are solid chances.

Forwards - Fyfe, Pavlich,ROK & Boomer Harvey I think are in the mix also.
    SC is FFC's number 1 fantasy game

Team
    CARLTON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bunga View Post
    Great list Kanga, will do my own during the week.

In defence - Newman, Suckling, Adcock & Hurn all have claims.

Midfield - Priddis, Watson, Mundy, Swallow, possibly Barlow are solid chances.

Forwards - Fyfe, Pavlich,ROK & Boomer Harvey I think are in the mix also.
    I love it when we're on the same page SC-wise

Team
    COLLINGWOOD
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It would seem a team from the 2nd sets of 10 players would be a strong unit as well.
    Listed at 208cm, 113 kg and only 19 yo...its.. Jarrod Witts. You are all going to want him next year!!

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd really like to have Rockcliff in my side this year but would have to come at the expence of Judd or Swan to start him!
    Mighty PINT FC, set to take the AFLNT league merger by storm 2011

FFC Assistant Coach Swift Movement's Avatar
    Team
    WEST COAST
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's almost bloody impossible to have more than 3 of the top 10 in one position because they all seem to share similar byes.

How many from one bye round, in one position is too many? I'm finiding it extremely difficult to keep it to 3, I think I'm resigned to the fact that there will be a zero or two in rounds 12 and 13. Is there a thread for this discussion? Can't seem to find one.

Also I can't believe that reduced the bench to two players, you'd think this year would require 3 more than last, only if it is just through rounds 11-13.
    Last edited by Swift Movement; 2nd February 2012 at 09:58 AM.

FFC Senior Assistant Coach
    Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Without R/F DPP's set up you'll be copping at least 2 zero's.

My thoughts:

So with this knowledge I think you can aim to take the hit in the most beneficial areas, by planning the zero into your starting team if the opportunity arises. So for me that might mean going in with 3 round 13 defenders because I think that's where the most value is.

And I can see myself copping a few more than the two zero's. Would rather get the points on the board with the upgrades, than trade for cover and then hope for a 70+ return for the rookie. Even if they reach that target I still couldn't justify making that move. Any cover I trade in, I'll try and incorporate in my upgrades/downgrades.

In terms of choosing bye friendly upgrade targets. A lower scoring target, with a better bye situation that will save you a zero, would probably have to score at least 6ppg more than the better option IMO or come at an irresistible price to make the move worthwhile.