WESTERN BULLDOGS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    326 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Clubs complain about draft prospect's aggressive dad

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/af...-1226196969925

THE father of a leading AFL draft prospect could be investigated for his behaviour towards several clubs recruiters.

It is understood at least three clubs have been disappointed with the conduct of a father of a top-20 draft prospect.The Herald Sun has chosen not to name the player.At least one interstate club is considering asking the AFL to investigate. A recruiting source alleged the father had acted aggressively, in an attempt to ward the club off recruiting his son.The league is aware of the concern, but was adamant today that an official investigation has not been lodged.

Not posting this to talk about who the player might be but I guess it can be no surprise that there are parents out there who try and influence the drafting system, recruiters, clubs etc in order to try and get the result they themselves want, even if it's got nothing to do with the kid themselves.

On the other hand, it could be a kid knowing he can't tamper with the draft but knowing his parents might be able to create enough doubt to scare off unwanted clubs.

I'm sure this sort of thing has gone on for a long time with kids and/or their parents but this is certainly the first time clubs have been willing to go to the AFL and complain about it.

Thoughts?

Team
    NORTH MELBOURNE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Awards Fyfe Award - for outstanding contributions

Re: Clubs complain about draft prospect's aggressive dad

If the club really wanted him would they take the risk on him? I mean he could turn out leaving the club a few years later like a number of other players have done.

I don't think its right that a father has done this, he should stay out of it and let things happen and be thankful for the chance of playing AFL.
    Matt Crouch is my boy for 2016 season, can he dominate 2016? time will tell....................

Team
    WEST COAST
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    906 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

The father is way out of line here, he should be thrilled that his son has the chance to fulfill his dream of playing AFL no matter which club takes him.

Very strong reports that the draft prospect in question is Elliot Kavanagh - the club that has complained about his Dad's actions is the Kangaroos. Scott was not impressed at all. Kavanagh's dad wants him to play for Essendon apparantly, the club the family supports.
    SC is FFC's number 1 fantasy game

Team
    NORTH MELBOURNE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I think we should pick him up if he lasts at 18, I am sure his son will love to come to us regardless of what his dad thinks! Once his dad meets Bon they will be best mates I am sure!
    Matt Crouch is my boy for 2016 season, can he dominate 2016? time will tell....................

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    710 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

lets hope not KM..... you definitely don't want someone who doesn't want to be there, much better off letting him slide and we will take him off your hands...

Team
    WESTERN BULLDOGS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    326 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Original suggestion was that three clubs complained and one was interstate club.

If we assume that Port/Bris aren't going to take him given their picks and needs, then the only clubs ahead of Ess are GWS/Rich/Freo/WB/Nth. IF GWS wasn't going to take him (looking for more needs based in later picks) then we can assume the three clubs are Nth, Freo and one of Rich/WB.

Team
    NORTH MELBOURNE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pvcyclone View Post
    lets hope not KM..... you definitely don't want someone who doesn't want to be there, much better off letting him slide and we will take him off your hands...
    haha

But has Kavanagh actually said he doesnt want to come to North ? Its just his dad that said that from what I can understand.

I take it he barracks for the Bombers? what a joke!!!

Super Moderator
    Team
    FREMANTLE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    474 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Twitter PosterFFC Blogger
    Fyfe Award - for outstanding contributions - Outstanding contributions accross the FFC and forwardpress blogs. A huge amount of work completed by Hedge so our thanks go out!!!

Just quoting someone from BF with a story that's slightly different to the 'we support Essendon ergo our son will only play for Essendon' rumour;

Gerard Healy mentioned on radio , that apparently many clubs record the interviews with any potential draftee that they are interested in.

When the father learned of this practise , he has used that as a threat to the club that he is being investigated for , because he threatened to sue them for breach of his sons privacy by recording his sons interview.
    It's all rumour at this stage so though, but I believe everyone in the draft should be able to go to any club, that's the whole point of it.

If he's there at 16 I want us to get him, Emma Quayle did an article on him and he seems a pretty genuine guy who's gone to great lengths to overcome his hamstring concerns. Matthew Pavlich said coming to freo was a "worst case scenario" and 11 years later he's the heart and soul of our club.
    Anyone
    Anywhere
    Anytime

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    710 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

i'd imagine Kavanagh would probably be happy wherever, can't really be a potential draftee in todays football and not want to move interstate..... or to the next suburb across.... better not take the risk though

not sure if he goes for Essendon or not. He is from PEGS though, so would know Fletcher pretty well...

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bunga View Post
    The father is way out of line here, he should be thrilled that his son has the chance to fulfill his dream of playing AFL no matter which club takes him.

Very strong reports that the draft prospect in question is Elliot Kavanagh - the club that has complained about his Dad's actions is the Kangaroos. Scott was not impressed at all. Kavanagh's dad wants him to play for Essendon apparantly, the club the family supports.
    You beauty On a serious note though its completely wrong by his father to try and influence the clubs. Some people these days seem to take their or their sons ability for granted. Thousands of kids would kill for the opportunity to be on an AFL list and this bloke is trying to get his son to particular club, he needs to get a grip and let his son play footy, whether that be in WA, SA, etc then so be it.
    2010 Footytips AFL Fantasy Winner
    2010/11 ABC Ashes Fantasy Cricket Runner-Up
    2010/11 Foxsports Big Bash Cricket Fantasy Weekly Winner
    2011 tipthenrl.com NRL Tipping Winner
    2011 AFL Dreamteam Prospectus Group and AFL Membership Group Winner

Team
    COLLINGWOOD
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    293 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not so much a family thing but didn't that Fantasia bloke get in trouble for something similar while he was at the Crows? Think he tried to scare Carlton away from picking up Bryce Gibbs by saying not to waste their number 1 pick on a kid who is just going to come straight back home and play for the Crows (that went to plan). Pretty sure he and the club got in a bit of trouble for that iirc
    The eBert era is over

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    578 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bert1 View Post
    Not so much a family thing but didn't that Fantasia bloke get in trouble for something similar while he was at the Crows? Think he tried to scare Carlton away from picking up Bryce Gibbs by saying not to waste their number 1 pick on a kid who is just going to come straight back home and play for the Crows (that went to plan). Pretty sure he and the club got in a bit of trouble for that iirc
    We still got stooged by the AFL (and Port) by not being allowed to pick up Gibbs with the father son rule....

Rioli is another that "tanked" his interviews to make sure no interstate clubs were interested in him which is a shame (although I'm very happy with Patty D).

Team
    COLLINGWOOD
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    293 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dylan123 View Post
    We still got stooged by the AFL (and Port) by not being allowed to pick up Gibbs with the father son rule....

Rioli is another that "tanked" his interviews to make sure no interstate clubs were interested in him which is a shame (although I'm very happy with Patty D).
    Yeah I do recall that actually.

As unpopular as it may sound (at this point in time at least anyway), I'd probably be a bit happier with the Dangerfield pick over Rioli myself.
    The eBert era is over

Team
    MELBOURNE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    465 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

C'mon Dad. Regardless of what version of the story ends up being the truth, it is pretty ordinary behaviour.

FFC Agent of Chaos Big Sledge #32's Avatar
    Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    561 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Seriously if the father is trying to dictate which Melbourne based clubs can pick up his son then that is ****ing disgraceful. Far worse than trying to ward of interstate clubs IMO.

At least if it is interstate clubs you could argue that you don't want your kid leaving his home state, but if it's just because you want him to go to one Victorian based club, that is the definition of selfish.

I hope a club does lodge a full complaint, what penalties could be given out if this stuff is true?
    Baltimore Ravens Superbowl XLVII Champions
    Quote Originally Posted by Narkee View Post
    SC only

#AgentOfChaos