Team
    WEST COAST
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    906 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Snoops 2011 Mock Draft

Guys, here is Snoop's 2011 Mock draft. As many of you know, he does one of the best mock drafts every year, very informative & a quality read.
    http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=885853
    ROUND ONE

# 1 GWS - Stephen Coniglio

# 2 GWS - John Patton

# 3 GWS - Chad Wingard (Sturt / 181 / 70 / 93)
    This is where it gets a little interesting for the Giants. I suspect many wouldn’t agree with Wingard being placed ahead of some others but for me its a ‘no brainer’. This guy is all class and he carried SA in the champs in some of the games this year and that was on top of some really special performances as an underager last year. Can play anywhere on the field but I think he will settle as a mid because of his ability to extract stoppage ball and get to advantage. In saying that, have seen enough of him fwd to suggest he can be part of a rotation and be really effective in attack. Seen a lot of his senior SANFL footy and he has been a great contributor. He moves with ease, he has time and creates himself space. His foot skills are real good and he always weights them to the advantage of the fwd.

# 4 GWS - Bill Longer (Northern Knights / 202 / 95 / 93)
    Giants don’t have any ‘A’ class ruck prospect on their list and this kid is a natural. For mine he is also a player they could throw in for a dozen games next year quite easily and I think his progress will be similar to Vardy’s. He gets around the park well, can be a link man, gives 2nd effort when required but most importantly takes contested marks which means he can be thrown forward and that is crucial in the modern game. The only knock I have on him is at times his skills aren’t as good as you would hope for a top 5 pick.

# 5 GWS - Will Hoskin-Elliott (Western Jets / 182 / 73 / 93)
    This kid is a class act who is that traditional wingman. Has blistering pace and along with his huge motor will run aggressively into the fwd half and kick goals. In fact he reminds of Thomas and Matera of years gone in that regard but just lacks the vertical leap Daisy has. Would think the Giants will round out their final 5 selections with a kid who offers them something different to what their list has to this point as opposed to going for Tyson who is a bit more of what they already have. Pace isn’t something the Giants have in abundance out at the Brekkie Point Academy and hence expect them to snap up Sumner or WHE here who will give them x factor in the middle.
    AFL Comparison – Peter Matera
    Roughie: Dom Tyson or Liam Summer

# 6 Port Adelaide – Dominic Tyson (Oakleigh / 186 / 82 / 93)
    Will get a genuine superstar whatever happens at this pick. They are desperate for class midfielders and young Dom delivers on that. Tyson is a lovely player and have seen a lot of him throughout the year and not once have I been disappointed. Ultimately the reason a lot of players go early is because they seem to have a touch more time and hence their execution is so much better. Tyson is no different. Watched him very closely in a couple of games and I reckon every one of his first ten disposals in one of those game were elite. He just picked the right option every time and that stands out for recruiters. He is a beaut size to boot. I know a lot have jumped off Mitch Grigg but I have to say I think he and Tyson are very closely matched and in that case it wouldn’t surprise me to see Grigg called here because of the SA factor. Ultimately though Tyson testing was better and hence I have dropped him in first. If they were really brave then the kid they may take is Sumner.
    AFL Comparison – Nick Dal Santo
    Roughie – Liam Sumner or Mitch Grigg

# 7 GWS – Liam Sumner (Sandy Dragons / 178 / 69 / 93)
    Not hard for the Giants here in my opinion. Grabbing another kid with real pace and x factor fits their list of wants pretty well. Sumner is a jet and for mine probably has the most x factor of all players in the draft bar probably Manson and Crozier. A couple of his efforts in that 2nd half of the GF proved that. Has terrific vision and lateral movement and his first step is exceptional. I think he has a lot of Dale Thomas about him insomuch as he is equally as good in and out of the contest (interesting to read post writing this that he modelled his game on him). Has a better kick that Thomas IMO and it’s for that reason I wouldn’t mind betting he ends up earlier than this. Thought about Grigg here but there aren’t any more Sumners in this draft so it wasnt to hard. Also thought about some talls but there are still a number left so lets leave them for a little later on.
    AFL Comparison – Dale Thomas
    Roughie – Mitch Grigg, Toby Greene or Todd Elton

# 8 Brisbane – Mitch Grigg (Norwood / 181 / 85 / 93)
    This guy resembles the Greek Stock Exchange! Been massively ‘shorted’ and way beyond what is reasonably IMO. Recent drafts tell me his testing will hurt him but he is still top 10. Seen a lot of Grigg and him and he is just a class act. Everyone probably saw his champ game in Melbourne but it’s his footy for Norwood post that at senior (and reserves) that got me really excited. He just wasn’t out of place at all and displayed that ability to read the play better than others and position himself really well. Testing is important but I would rather take real game sense and footy smarts every day. I look at last year and see Polec and Conca go at in first 6 or so and think this bloke is better. Always has an ability to just always make the right decisions and execute at an elite level. Tough over the footy and have no qualms picking him as a 200 gamer……absolutely none. Can hear the howls of derision amongst BF experts and Lions fans but judge it in 3 years and lets see.....as you can tell this is my soapbox player. If he does fall beyond #15 someone got a bloody bargain! I did think about a tall but again I think there will be a number left for #12 so lets get the best mid for Brisbane right now.
    AFL Comparison – Simon Black
    Roughie: Liam Sumner could fall to here and if he does they should swoop on him. A Kavanagh appeals here to.

# 9 GWS – Todd Elton (Dandenong / 197 / 92 / 93)
    Bit of a fan of Todd Elton and Giants are as well. Was close to going there last year and whilst we didn’t see great things from him he was certainly curtailed by injury at crucial times. Had some very good games though and they will have stuck in SOS’s mind. He is a Ruck / key fwd who is pretty mobile and has good strong hands and is a pretty good user for a big boy. Will go higher than expected in this draft because he is probably the only A+ grade KP and hence Giants won’t let him slip further as KP kids aren’t in abundance on the list. The prospect of Hombsch, Davis and Cameron down back and Patton, Elton up front with Billy in the ruck would be mouth watering for coach Choco. Will admit his formline doesn’t suggest a top ten but then again sometimes I think it is folly looking at one year – you need to look at a broader canvass. Very nearly took Tomlinson or Paine here but have stuck with the big boy all year so not getting off now.
    AFL Comparison – Kurt Tippett’ish
    Roughie – Toby Greene or Adam Tomlinson or Jack Paine

# 10 GWS – Toby Greene (Oakleigh / 180 / 78 / 93)
    Really debated this pick because I rate Crozier very highly on potential but look Greene is a player you build a club around. Has a lot of the Voss / Selwoods for me and whilst he has a baby face his intent at the contest is incredible....his mother would genuinely fear for his life I suspect (touch wood)!But he has many more things going for him than courage.... he is a huge ball winner because of a terrific motor (15+ beep) and has the ability to run fwd of the contest and hurt the scoreboard. I wouldn’t say his kicking is elite in the same way you wouldn’t say Selwood or Voss were elite but he is certainly very efficient and doesn’t try to do things he isn’t capable of. Suspect I have him a bit higher than others but again this is a bloke who you want running out in finals footy because you know he wont die wondering.
    AFL Comparison – Michael Voss & Joel Selwood
    Roughie – Hayden Crozier or Elliott Kavanagh

# 11 GWS – Matt Buntine (Dandenong / 188 / 85 / 93)
    Shapes as this year’s Dyson Heppell for me. Just a bit unsure where to place him and whilst many will have him higher I think this is about right for him. He is a very composed footballer who tends to make the right decision every time. Will start as a HB and could walk in Rd 1. Wonderful composure and reads the ball very well as it is coming in. Rarely loses a contest and uses the pill very efficiently. Nice additional to their list as well as Giants haven’t got a standout 18yo HBF (not counting Hampton).
    AFL Comparison – Chris Newman / Corey Enright
    Roughie – Hayden Crozier

#12 Brisbane - Adam Tomlinson (Oakleigh / 194 / 90 / 93)
    Happily admit I have him probably a bit higher than others and that’s because I think he is a genuine talent. Every time I have seen him he has been very good and the development potential in the kid is pretty significant I think. Will also admit this is a little ‘needs’ based and really tossed up a defender such as Talia or a fwd such as Paine. Ultimately went with this kid because he is equally good at either end and offers a heap to work with. Terrific player who is an exceptional athlete and offers the Lions a genuine KP player who can be groomed for fwd or back. Moves well and I actually like him as a fwd where his ability to provide quick repeatable leads is as good as anyone. Couple this with his hands..... its almost Cloke like grip when he gets his mits on it so you would think he might be more likely to be groomed fwd than back. Lovely kick to. Might be a bit high for him in others minds but I think he is a ripper.
    AFL Comparison – Luke McPharlin
    Roughie – really struggled to split Michael Talia, Fraser McInness or Jackson Paine at this pick so Lion fans take your pick as stuff all splits them.

# 13 GWS - Jackson Paine (Sandy Dragons / 194 / 86 / 93)
    Another of my real favourites in the draft and probably have him higher than others. Have seen quite a bit of him this year and what stands out for me is a number of things. Firstly I think he is a genuinely smart KP Fwd. He moves well and to the right spot and will then use his body for optimal position. In addition his finishing is elite and I think he would be well worth the a prized GWS first rounder. Has the added benefit of being able to move back as well but I see him very much as a key fwd. Beaut kicking action to boot! Wanted to get the Giants some tall’s here and would agree he is not the #13th best player in pool but he is the next best KPF player in my opinion. Went with a KPF fwd because I think they are well served for young tall defenders post Kennedy and Mohr signing on.
    AFL Comparison – Chris Dawes
    Roughie – Fraser McInness or Michael Talia

# 14 GWS – Myles Bolger (South Frem / 201 / 90 / 93)
    Strategically it makes sense for Giants to hit another ruck here. Presumably they will have Longer and whilst the boy Phillips has shown a bit I think you want a couple of ripping ruck prospects (ala Suns). Saw a lot of him last year and was super impressed with him. He is a terrific type and whilst we didn’t get to see much of him this year he certainly finished the season really well for South Fremantle. I like my ruckmen to be clever at the clearances with hit outs to advantage and to be able to compete around the ground and potentially push fwd. Bolger ticks all those boxes albeit probably doesn’t push fwd as much as he could and that might be the worry. Still he is very athletic and has strong hands and good skills so no reason that couldn’t come in time. Genuinely thought about Tom Downie as well as the word is he has huge scope for improvement and hence might be the better long term project but went with Bolger because have been impressed with him for a while. Also looked at Manson which might surprise some but I think this kid is as big a talent as Franklin was at the same stage. GWS can afford a bold selection given the number they have but have opted against simply because of the home factor which is a bit silly possibly given this should be done on talent and development potential.
    AFL Comparison – Matt Luenberg
    Roughie – Waylen Manson – they have the picks to take a punt and can always trade him back. Other ruck prospects could be Downie.

# 15 Richmond – Elliott Kavanagh (Western Jets / 187 / 78 / 93)
    Many wouldn’t have seen Kavanagh this year because he was injured through champs but if you had seen him last year you would have been impressed. If he lived up to last year’s form he would probably be a top 6 or 7 selection. He is a natural footballer and just seems to read the game so well. Terrific height, very good speed, one touch and also uses it very well. Sounds perfect doesn’t he and could well be a steal here. Local lad for the Doggies to which can’t hurt. I did look at a few others here but ultimately decided on this kid because he probably shouldn’t be this low.
    AFL Comparison – Bryce Gibbs
    Roughie – I wonder if a tall like Talia, Paine or Tomlinson were here would they jump to that. Particularly Talia! A player like Crozier appeals for me to with the Tigers as they could do with that x factor medium fwd.

# 16 Fremantle – Michael Talia (Calder / 194 / 90 / 93)
    Really tossed up this selection because I think you could throw a blanket of the key talls available here which is where I think these blokes will go. Frost and Boseley were the two but went with Talia because I just think he probably marshalls the defenders a bit better from what I have seen and just looks so assured down there as a natural defender. Reads the play well and his athleticism allows him to really work over his opponent. Equally its good because you need someone to go with endure key fwd runners like Franklin, Cloke and Roo and he could certainly do it. Had my doubts about his kicking and offensive run but from what I saw he improved that at and post champs so he has been a bit of a riser in my view.
    AFL Comparison – Michael Jamieson
    Roughie – Sam Frost or Andrew Boseley or.......Waylen Manson. I think they might be foxing.

# 17 Western Bulldogs – Taylor Adams (Falcons / 181 / 80 / 93)
    Just a lovely player is Taylor Adams and apparently has many admirers in club land. AIS kid and he is a class act because he ticks nearly every box there is. Seen him so many times in traffic and yet he always seems to evade capture and execute to advantage. His hands in close are an absolute treat and he just strikes me as a kid who will get better and better in a club development programme. Can also play out of the contest and uses the ball at an elite level by foot as well. Is a natural leader from what have been told and is a kid you would want in your football environment for sure.
    AFL Comparison – Trent Cotchin or Jim Bartel
    Roughie – Thought about going tall here but just couldn’t get past who is Matt Boyds replacement and with the loss of Ward Adams seems to be perfect. If not him then maybe Sam Frost or Andrew Boseley or Hayden Crozier

# 18 North Melbourne – Hayden Crozier (Eastern Ranges / 184 / 68 / 93)
    People talk about draft depth and the lack of it yet at #18 we have the human highlight reel. With a wonderful array of inside mids like Bastinac, Swallow, Greenwood, Cunnington, Ziebell etc it’s time to add to the x factor pool that really only Wells and Harper sit in for mine at Kanga land (not to say others aren’t but amongst the kids its my observation). Tested terrificly well and has pace, lateral movement, leap and elite finishing. Some of his passages of play are just incredible and he reminds me very much of a young Daisy. Whilst he has been up and down this year he has shown that his best is as good as anybody’s in this draft and he could prove to be one of the best players from this pool in 7 or 8 years time. By the way ..... North are building a very good list. Get on them for top 4 finishes in 3 years!
    AFL Comparison – Dale Thomas
    Roughie – Thought about Brad McKenzie here. I really believe a touch of outside class is required and he is the next best i rate.

# 19 Essendon – Brad McKenzie (Sturt / 188 / 75 / 93)
    Dons are in the market for classy midfielders and will feel that they got one in Heppell who should be able to push up to the middle next year. Interestingly McKenzie is very similar to him and suspect will go down the same path insomuch as starting HB and pushing into the middle in years to come. Has played more back this year but I have seen him play middle and fwd as well at SANFL level and he has a heap of potential. His hands at stoppages are as good as Pendlebury’s and in fact his foot skills aren’t far off his as well. Has great agility and seems to be a really clever footy player from what I am told....huge improvement left in him. I rate him high and ultimately dropped him in ahead of Nelson and Markworth.
    AFL Comparison – Leon Cameron
    Roughie – Shane Nelson or Dan Markworth

# 20 Fremantle - Fraser McInness (Perth / 197 / 90 / 93)
    I think the Dockers could do with a touch more height and given that will go with the local boy McInness who can play fwd and back. He is terrific mover and a big boy. That will really appeal to clubs and would think he will definitely go in the top 30. Also a pretty efficient user of the ball.
    AFL Comparison – I think he might develop into a Fraser Gehrig type body.
    Roughie – You would have to think Manson is every chance of going here as they wont want him being a star at Eagles as that will be hard to live with for 10 years or so. Also a bit worried that Talia and McInness might be overloading it on key defenders but the Pies did it a few years ago and reaped the rewards.

# 21 Sydney – Tom Mitchell (Father / Son)
    A ripper – I would have him #1 in this draft and would have had him in top 3 if you were to include the GWS kids.

# 22 Carlton – Daniel Markworth (Calder Cannons / 189 / 76 / 92)
    Was keen to slot Markworth a touch earlier than this. Is a class act and will appeal to recruiters because he ticks a lot of boxes. He is a gifted athlete who tested very well and he combines it with a lot of the ingredients you would want. Quick, good in traffic, efficient by hand and foot and can play fwd or middle. He hasn’t played a heap of footy compared tot the other draftees and he just showed amazing improvement all year. I saw a few of his games and he was real good at the end of the season and would have to go pretty high I would think. Will play as a wing / HF I suspect at VFL level before being given a taste of senior footy at some stage but he needs to add some more muscle to the frame.
    AFL Comparison – Nat Fyfe but I wouldn’t say he is quite at his level at the same age.
    Roughie – Sam Frost would be a nice fit but my quick look at the Blues list suggests still a lot of talls on the list and that they are better served by a younger mid / fwd.

# 23 West Coast – Thomas Sheridan ( Calder / 185 / 76 / 93)
    Bit unsure where to place Tom. He is very highly rated by the folk at Calder and with good reason given the quality and consistency of his performances. Spent a lot more time in the midfield this year and earnt a Metro jumper where he caught the eye on a couple of occasions. Can play inside and outside type roles but would think he will be a winger type given he has good endurance (15+ beep) and his speed whilst not elite is certainly within the band that makes him attractive. Has terrific ball skills and would be a nice fit at the Eagles.
    AFL Comparison – Taller Leigh Montagna
    Roughie – Originally had Brody Mihocek here

# 24 Gold Coast – Sam Docherty (Gippsland / 183 / 80 / 93)
    One of our local boys who has been a big riser this year. Was rated at the start of the year but had a good few weeks leading into the carnival before getting a game off the back of some injuries. Certainly impressed and as a result being thought of as a RD 1 or 2 selection. Super quick and very composed down back. Really efficient user of the ball and will appeal because of his decision making and pace out of defence. These HB flankers are pretty important these days and hence why I am tending to think he might go around here.
    AFL Comparison – Heath Shaw ...ish!
    Roughie – Brandon Ellis but given they have Toy I just thought something a little different.

# 25 St Kilda – Devon Smith (Geelong / 175 / 73 / 93)
    I have him sliding a bit compared to others I suspect and to be fair I am not sure why. He is just a ripping young player who gives everything and the resemblence to Harvey in terms of playing style is incredible. Quick, agile and terrific engine which will enable him to move into the middle. Terrific through traffic and given his drive you don’t have much doubt he will make it. Kicked 7 at a champ game and that gives you a sense of the x factor. Will be super for the Saints.
    AFL Comparison – Brent Harvey
    Roughie – Shane Nelson is similar in some ways but I think Smith offers them some things beyond playing capability that Watters will be looking for in much the same way Dahlaus did to the WBs.

# 26 Richmond – Brandon Ellis (Calder Cannons / 181 / 83 / 93)
    Love watching this kid because I think he just oozes class and will step up into an AFL environment and make a really seamless transition. He just looks like a footballer and I suspect recruiters love his poise, strength on his feet, safe hands, kicking and decision making. He just doesn’t seem to make mistakes. Doesn’t have elite speed and I think that is why he drops a bit but I have had him as high as 15 at stages. Could well go into the middle as well in later years as he tested pretty well. Lovely pick because he is that Chris Newman type who sits behind the footy and just controls the back half.
    AFL Comparison – Chris Newman
    Roughie – Sam Frost and Michael Bussey would be a defensive tall these guys could look to as a means of starting to bring some youth through the back half.

# 27 Adelaide - Sam Frost ( Sandy Dragons / 194 / 87 / 93)
    Officially my favourite player in the draft. There is a reasonable gap between his best and worst and I have seen both but saw a couple of his better games at the Champs where he just showed an unbridled willingness to take on the competition with his terrific athletic ability and back himself in. Backed that up late in the TAC season during the finals and moreover the TAC final when whilst only 194cm he was able to go into the ruck and get Sandy going in that 2nd half at the centre bounce where he used that vertical leap to his (and his teams) advantage. His kicking can be a bit hit and miss but the Suns can work with it easily enough...they fixed Charlie Dixon FGS. He is infectious this kid and ticks all the boxes to be a key defender
    AFL Comparison – Dustin Fletcher but even quicker than the great Ranga was in his early days.
    Roughie – Jordan Lockyer is probably a more traditional defender who they might look at.

# 28 West Coast - Zyrus (Waylen) Manson (Claremont / 195 / 80 / 93)
    Granted the risks around this kid seem real from what those who are in the know tell me but in these things you can only go on potential and talent......and this kid has a full house! Freakish talent who I have seen a fair bit of now and whilst there are huge issues with elements of his game (fwd pressure would be one) the positives are very good. He is his own highlight reel and just seems to read the ball so well. Couples that with a desire to play in front and his huge leap and you have a kid who if he can build a motor and add some weight will be nigh impossible to stop. It’s a risk but its one these blokes should take because they will never live it down if they pass him onto Fremantle. He could bloody anything this kid. In his 2 Colts games he had 30 touches and 21 of them were scores (12g 9). He has then gone up to play for the Waratahs in the NT and absolutely dominated (28 goals in 3 games....remember he is 17). He has great hands, he gets in front so the umps look after him and he finishes pretty well albeit can look a bit lazy at times. He needs a lot of work but risk reward could be massive. I don’t have much doubt he can step up. Eagles will pounce if Dockers baulk.
    AFL Comparison – you know who I am talking about......#23!
    Roughie – Sam Frost would be a weapon at Subiaco.

# 29 Fremantle – Shane Nelson (West Perth / 179 / 73 / 93)
    Been bit all over the place with me this year. Huge accumulator of the footy but had some questions over his hurt factor which on reflection was a bit rough bc he averaged a couple of goals per game at Colts level. However came out at champs and had a terrific carnival and then surprised me even more by having an excellent Combine. What gets him up the list for me is that he has that mix of endurance, speed and efficiency of disposal that makes him a real candidate for a 1st round selection. I think he will start out a bit like Gaff has with the Eagles. Used more outside and then gradually coming into the stoppages over time.
    AFL Comparison – Andrew Gaff but a bit quicker and more aggressive fwd runner.
    Roughie – Josh Tynan

# 30 Brisbane – Tom Downie (North Ballarat / 205 / 95 / 93)
    I remember in a mock draft a few years ago I suggested the little played Todd Goldstein would go earlier than many thought and have the same view with Downie. Like Goldstein he comes from a basketball background and is a huge unit. I haven’t seen him and am taking him on advice from someone who has and the ratings are big. Gets around the ground well, has good skills and fits something Lions would be keen on given departures of a couple of their ruck prospects.
    AFL Comparison – Todd Goldstein
    Roughie – Tom Curran would be a nice fit for these blokes and whilst I know Hawks overlooked him that is more to do with Gunston trade than where they ranked him. Personally I thought they could have hit a 3rd rounder for him and waited to be outbidded.
    http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=885853
    SC is FFC's number 1 fantasy game

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    869 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Re: Snoops 2011 Mock Draft

# 21 Sydney – Tom Mitchell (Father / Son)
    A ripper – I would have him #1 in this draft and would have had him in top 3 if you were to include the GWS kids.

Seriously though, winning!
    The Truck is driving the Fish Shack in 2018... Christian Petracca is my boy!

Team
    WEST COAST
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    906 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Wogi, Snoop is bang on.

I have said it before & will say it again. Mitchell will be a superstar, no doubt. Really surprised at the lack of media hype about him, when they think of the young WA mids all the focus has been on Coniglio & O'Meara. I believe Mitchell is better than Coniglio, O'Meara however is something very special.
    SC is FFC's number 1 fantasy game

Team
    SYDNEY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    869 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Blogger

Probably because there is no suspense about Mitchell at all and because he has gone to Sydney!

Still, loving it!
    The Truck is driving the Fish Shack in 2018... Christian Petracca is my boy!

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    289 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Interesting but he makes the same schoolboy error most do of assuming all the top picks will be superstars.
    TEX WALKER. that is all.

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    578 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Well if they all lived up to their "potential" they would Crow-mo