Team
    WESTERN BULLDOGS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    326 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: General Trade Week Chat 2011

Free agency kicks in, hence the extended time period from next year on.

Team
    WESTERN BULLDOGS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    326 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Caddy was desperate to get back to Melbourne to be closer to his sick father, yet he was seen as off limits to other Victorian clubs.

Clubs including Richmond and Melbourne tried to get involved in deals for Caddy at times this week but were told only Essendon was to be involved.
    http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/af...-1226168942539

Smells very very fishy to me. Trying to leave after 1 year for 'compassionate' reasons but rejecting all other clubs point blank.

FFC Senior Assistant Coach His_Holiness's Avatar
    Team
    FREMANTLE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by divvydan View Post
    http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/af...-1226168942539Smells very very fishy to me. Trying to leave after 1 year for 'compassionate' reasons but rejecting all other clubs point blank.
    By the sounds of things Caddy played the dying family member card just to go to Essendon. If he was desperate to go to Vic he would have accepted any clubs offer.
    Twitter: His_Holiness15

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    289 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Athomas View Post
    Adelaide doing well.... Jenkins and 41 for 31.

Jenkins any good? Crows need a back up ruckman I guess now that Maric gone.
    that we do. Moran out (yay), Maric out, we need some depth.

Sando has said Jenkins will get games next year, so maybe that's part of the reason he's come over. If he's still seen as a project at Essendon (judging by comments I've been reading) and we reckon he's good to go... then its attractive to him. Mind you, I'm not necessarily suggesting that we're right (that's no longer a project), just that we probably need him to play some.

even if he doesn't make it, we probably needed to take a risk. we've recruited in 3 talls now, all fairly high risk. How they play out probably determines whether we really did well this week. Although obviously crouch is a culture changing thing. What I mean by that is that he represents value to us regardless in how it projects a new era, new thinking to the supporter base.
    TEX WALKER. that is all.

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    289 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sledge #32 View Post
    Terry Wallace thinks we lost trade week by virtue of the Crouch trade. Too early to tell but the fact that Wallace doesn't rate our trade week makes me think we did alright.
    we paid a massive price for this bloke, so he needs to turn out better than just good.

however, I think there is something symbolic in his acquisition which goes just beyond the playing side, and for that reason alone I can't complain.
    TEX WALKER. that is all.

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    289 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hedgehog View Post
    From what I've heard it's weak in depth, not quality, GWS will get a lot of top-shelf talent.

Pretty happy with our 3 top 30 picks at the end of this.
    to be fair, they've said that about every crap draft year since 1995. Its just spin to make sure one of the most interesting, and supporter engaging events still holds people's attention. think how many people wouldn't have anything to say/write about otherwise.

Now maybe this year will turn out to be ok, but its very poorly regarded at this stage. Mind you, look how highly the 2006 draft was considered for KPP's? pre-draft assessments are not always worth too much
    TEX WALKER. that is all.

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    578 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Noble did say that we will rookie a mature aged ruckman or something along those lines. Also plans to leave one spot free on the senior list for the draft in December where a player can be added onto the senior list from their (can never think of the name). Will be interesting to see who they have in mind for this pick.

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    289 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cat for life View Post
    Ok then. I'm just going to leave this discussion here as this is a waste of time. When you actually have an opinion and can adequately express it then we can start again.
    Sorry, I am not even sure what discussion you think you were participating in. Seriously all I see is you taking cheap shots from the bleachers, regarding things never said or claimed.

That's not the sort of conversation I will ever be looking to have.
    TEX WALKER. that is all.

Super Moderator
    Team
    FREMANTLE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    474 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Twitter PosterFFC Blogger
    Fyfe Award - for outstanding contributions - Outstanding contributions accross the FFC and forwardpress blogs. A huge amount of work completed by Hedge so our thanks go out!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Crow-mo View Post
    to be fair, they've said that about every crap draft year since 1995. Its just spin to make sure one of the most interesting, and supporter engaging events still holds people's attention. think how many people wouldn't have anything to say/write about otherwise.

Now maybe this year will turn out to be ok, but its very poorly regarded at this stage. Mind you, look how highly the 2006 draft was considered for KPP's? pre-draft assessments are not always worth too much
    This is just my general opinion on strong/weak drafts.

Each year there are more and more interested observers, more and more emphasis put on drafting and the 'science of drafting' exponentially gets more and more precise. I think the years of 2003-esque drafts are gone (2007 was also quite weak, but far far better than 03), so much effort is put in at the development level that quality young players will always be produced.

Comparing this year to 1995-2000 isn't really that applicable, because the drafting 'business' is just so much more professional, even compared to say 6-7 years ago.

I believe the difference between a 'strong' and a 'weak' draft gets less pronounced.What matters far more is the quality of your recruiters, and it seems that almost all clubs are very happy with their team; I know i'm stoked we've got Brad Lloyd, and Geelong would be stoked with Wells, Collingwood with Hine, Essendon with Dodoro etc i'm just listing them now.

But I agree that pre-draft assessments are a very poor guide. If you go to any pick you're team has had in any draft, there's a very likely chance that there was a very good player available at that pick that your club may or may not have taken.

Team
    ADELAIDE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    289 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hedgehog View Post
    This is just my general opinion on strong/weak drafts.

Each year there are more and more interested observers, more and more emphasis put on drafting and the 'science of drafting' exponentially gets more and more precise. I think the years of 2003-esque drafts are gone (2007 was also quite weak, but far far better than 03), so much effort is put in at the development level that quality young players will always be produced.

Comparing this year to 1995-2000 isn't really that applicable, because the drafting 'business' is just so much more professional, even compared to say 6-7 years ago.

I believe the difference between a 'strong' and a 'weak' draft gets less pronounced.What matters far more is the quality of your recruiters, and it seems that almost all clubs are very happy with their team; I know i'm stoked we've got Brad Lloyd, and Geelong would be stoked with Wells, Collingwood with Hine, Essendon with Dodoro etc i'm just listing them now.

But I agree that pre-draft assessments are a very poor guide. If you go to any pick you're team has had in any draft, there's a very likely chance that there was a very good player available at that pick that your club may or may not have taken.
    Fair.

I don't think drafts will effectively "standardise" because there is intrinsic variation or volatility in drafting 17/18 yr old kids. For example, if you look at MLB - the closest corollary to our draft process - they draft out of high school (as we do) or after college, and they have never managed to smooth the variation of high school draftees. They've been doing this for far longer than we have, using far more scouts, money, technology etc and have no expectation that they will ever crack it.

Not for lack of trying, but its just too early to get a consistent read on a guy, his skills, how his make up is. all that sort of stuff.

The other games that have a draft, all take guys at older ages and they more consistency. Although what makes the MLB example so interesting is that they take older guys too - and they have much predictable results from the college grads. So we can see that they normalise, where normalisation is possible.

and in my opinion, based on empirical observation, its not really likely that the predictability of outcomes on 17/18 yr old guys will ever normalise - whether we are talking a 18 yr old high school pitcher from kentucky, or a tall running half back flanker from gippsland. Which is why I think 2002/2003 type drafts will never be eradicated, keeping in mind in those you could have had 20/20 hindsight in those years and still been in trouble as the talent just wasn't there.

after all, take as recently as 2007 where the 1st/2nd round isn't looking too flash. much sooner than that, and its still a bit unformed
    TEX WALKER. that is all.

FFC Assistant Coach Theofleuryfan's Avatar
    Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know if many Essendon fans would actually be very happy with Dodoro at the moment. Second year in a row the Bombers have done nothing at trade week. Once again put all their time and energy into recruiting one player ! Last year Cloke, this year Caddy. Neither eventuated. The last successful move they made at trade week but means of actually making a trade was bringing Mark Williams over, and we all know how that turned out.

Sydney always appear in the market for players. Hawthorn always appear in the market for players. Most clubs always seem to make moves for players in trade week and come away with something. Carlton didn't do anything this year either which is very surprising seeing as they were quite open about shipping Setanta and Bower away, so i'm sure there are a few puzzled Blues supporters around now.

I just see players such as Gunston and Gibson and Hale and Burgoyne and Tommy Walsh and Andreas Everitt and Tony Armstrong and Mitch Morton all change hands to again the same clubs, two years running and think to myself "Do we really not need any of those players?"
    " For the love of god let me trade. 2 per week is NOT enough!!!!

Team
    GEELONG
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    424 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Crow-mo View Post
    and in my opinion, based on empirical observation, its not really likely that the predictability of outcomes on 17/18 yr old guys will ever normalise -
    I would almost say this is impossible. Normalisation wouldn't take into account a change in human attitude and emotion and unforeseen events which may happen in the future and impact the performance of an individual.
    Zach Tuohy my boy for 2017!