Important News


User Tag List

Page 1 of 38 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 567

Thread: General Trade Week Chat 2011

  1. #1
    Fort Kickass Ben the Gooner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Team
    ESSENDON
    Posts
    20,045
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    659 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Twitter Poster

    General Trade Week Chat 2011

    Well trade week is upon us, and we could see a few trades go through this morning.

    Morris and #15 from GWS to Richmond for #14 should be done early, and Maric and Connors could find new homes today in a straight swap if rumours are to be believed.

    There's also a chance that one of the bigger deals like Clark or Ebert has been done in recent weeks and the clubs will want to finalise it and move on to other business.

    There could also be a deal which has completely flown under the radar, perhaps a St Kilda player to ease salary cap burdens.

    This morning sees the F/S bidding process with Mitchell a certain first rounder for the Swans, while Buckley and Bews could go for anything to Carlton and Geelong respectively.

    Who do you think will be the first trade this week?
    Never bet against Tom Rockliff

  2. #2
    Moderator Skeeta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hoffland
    Team
    ESSENDON
    Posts
    8,365
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    474 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Twitter Poster - A great twitter poster on behalf of FFC and TFP

    Re: General Trade Week Chat 2011

    Goddard to Carlton
    hoff.

  3. #3
    FFC Cash Cow Nuffman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Team
    ESSENDON
    Posts
    269
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: General Trade Week Chat 2011

    Carlton don't have room in their cap.

    More likely: Goddard -> Essendon :-)

  4. #4
    Moderator Watson_Gun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Team
    ESSENDON
    Posts
    4,899
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: General Trade Week Chat 2011

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben the Gooner View Post
    Well trade week is upon us, and we could see a few trades go through this morning.

    Morris and #15 from GWS to Richmond for #14 should be done early, and Maric and Connors could find new homes today in a straight swap if rumours are to be believed.

    There's also a chance that one of the bigger deals like Clark or Ebert has been done in recent weeks and the clubs will want to finalise it and move on to other business.

    There could also be a deal which has completely flown under the radar, perhaps a St Kilda player to ease salary cap burdens.

    This morning sees the F/S bidding process with Mitchell a certain first rounder for the Swans, while Buckley and Bews could go for anything to Carlton and Geelong respectively.

    Who do you think will be the first trade this week?
    Can you expand on this one, I haven't read about this. So essentially they are giving up Morris for a pick before what they already had?
    2010 Footytips AFL Fantasy Winner
    2010/11 ABC Ashes Fantasy Cricket Runner-Up
    2010/11 Foxsports Big Bash Cricket Fantasy Weekly Winner
    2011 tipthenrl.com NRL Tipping Winner
    2011 AFL Dreamteam Prospectus Group and AFL Membership Group Winner

  5. #5
    Administrator bailz66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Melbourne
    Team
    NORTH MELBOURNE
    Posts
    10,950
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Twitter Poster

    Re: General Trade Week Chat 2011

    I think there is a lot of thought that Goddard is moving on from the saints.

    And when they don't have a coach yet it seems likely that he will find his way. You would imagine that where ever he goes it will be a massive suprise to most people


  6. #6
    Super Moderator divvydan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Team
    WESTERN BULLDOGS
    Posts
    13,780
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    326 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Re: General Trade Week Chat 2011

    That's what people are thinking d_g. Morris is eligible to be pre-listed by GWS but because they have so many zone selections on their list, they won't be keeping many of the 10 they can pre-list. Obviously, GWS thinks that getting the extra spot higher in the draft is worthwhile, probably suspect they're after the same person at that pick than Richmond.

    One other trade that might happen early is Ben Hudson to Brisbane for a late pick. Ben's gone back home to Qld and retired but Brisbane need a back-up ruck for Leuy and the WB are happy for Hudson to play for Brisbane if he wants and would probably do the trade for a late pick just to help him get there.

  7. #7
    FFC Senior Assistant Coach
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Team
    ESSENDON
    Posts
    2,595
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Re: General Trade Week Chat 2011

    So what's the rule regarding recently retired players such as Hudson, Brogan, Power and Cornes. Does their previous club still hold the rights to them or can GWS pre-list them without compensating the club?

  8. #8
    Fort Kickass Ben the Gooner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Team
    ESSENDON
    Posts
    20,045
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    659 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Twitter Poster

    Re: General Trade Week Chat 2011

    Quote Originally Posted by deledio_gun View Post
    Can you expand on this one, I haven't read about this. So essentially they are giving up Morris for a pick before what they already had?
    Richmond want Steven Morris from the SANFL (the club escapes me) but so do Port, who will probably bid their second rounder for him. So Richmond have gone to GWS and done a deal whereby they keep their first two picks, and get their man.

    GWS don't have a lot of list spots left, so they're looking for higher picks rather than more.
    Never bet against Tom Rockliff

  9. #9
    Super Moderator divvydan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Team
    WESTERN BULLDOGS
    Posts
    13,780
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    326 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Re: General Trade Week Chat 2011

    Well the clubs still currently hold their contracts so I suspect GWS can't pre-list them without compensation. Not sure I agree with this but that seems to be how it works.

  10. #10
    FFC Senior Assistant Coach
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Team
    ESSENDON
    Posts
    2,595
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Re: General Trade Week Chat 2011

    Quote Originally Posted by divvydan View Post
    That's what people are thinking d_g. Morris is eligible to be pre-listed by GWS but because they have so many zone selections on their list, they won't be keeping many of the 10 they can pre-list. Obviously, GWS thinks that getting the extra spot higher in the draft is worthwhile, probably suspect they're after the same person at that pick than Richmond.
    I guess if GWS were never going to keep Morris, then it's a win-win situation for both clubs. The Tigers get their man and GWS get a slight pick upgrade without giving up anything at all.

  11. #11
    Fort Kickass Ben the Gooner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Team
    ESSENDON
    Posts
    20,045
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    659 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Twitter Poster

    Re: General Trade Week Chat 2011

    Quote Originally Posted by divvydan View Post
    Well the clubs still currently hold their contracts so I suspect GWS can't pre-list them without compensation. Not sure I agree with this but that seems to be how it works.
    I think they're contracted until October 31, so the clubs still have the rights to them.
    Never bet against Tom Rockliff

  12. #12
    FFC Senior Assistant Coach
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Team
    ESSENDON
    Posts
    2,595
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Re: General Trade Week Chat 2011

    Quote Originally Posted by divvydan View Post
    Well the clubs still currently hold their contracts so I suspect GWS can't pre-list them without compensation. Not sure I agree with this but that seems to be how it works.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben the Gooner View Post
    I think they're contracted until October 31, so the clubs still have the rights to them.
    Ah OK that makes sense. I wonder... If the deadline for GWS's pre-listed selections falls after that, then they could just wait it out a month and pounce as soon as they're out of contract.

  13. #13
    Super Moderator divvydan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Team
    WESTERN BULLDOGS
    Posts
    13,780
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    326 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Re: General Trade Week Chat 2011

    Was just thinking some more about it. The AFL has probably been scarred by the Mal Michael situation a few years ago. Imagine the uproar there would be from clubs if an older contracted player decided to retire, then got picked up by GWS and the club got nothing. This would damage the AFL brand severely and since the AFL brand is the thing the AFL cares about the most, the only other option is to allow clubs to receive compensation if it happens.

    Also suspect that the AFL didn't really expect GWS to go chasing after a number of recently retired players.

  14. #14
    Super Moderator divvydan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Team
    WESTERN BULLDOGS
    Posts
    13,780
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    326 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Re: General Trade Week Chat 2011

    Quote Originally Posted by Bomber4ever View Post
    Ah OK that makes sense. I wonder... If the deadline for GWS's pre-listed selections falls after that, then they could just wait it out a month and pounce as soon as they're out of contract.
    The deadline for GWS to sign uncontracted players is Oct 13, for this year anyway.

  15. #15
    FFC Senior Assistant Coach
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Team
    ESSENDON
    Posts
    2,595
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Re: General Trade Week Chat 2011

    Quote Originally Posted by divvydan View Post
    The deadline for GWS to sign uncontracted players is Oct 13, for this year anyway.
    But maybe they sign these players as pre listed selections after their contracts expire on Oct 31.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •