ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    659 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Twitter Poster

General Trade Week Chat 2011

Well trade week is upon us, and we could see a few trades go through this morning.

Morris and #15 from GWS to Richmond for #14 should be done early, and Maric and Connors could find new homes today in a straight swap if rumours are to be believed.

There's also a chance that one of the bigger deals like Clark or Ebert has been done in recent weeks and the clubs will want to finalise it and move on to other business.

There could also be a deal which has completely flown under the radar, perhaps a St Kilda player to ease salary cap burdens.

This morning sees the F/S bidding process with Mitchell a certain first rounder for the Swans, while Buckley and Bews could go for anything to Carlton and Geelong respectively.

Who do you think will be the first trade this week?
    Never bet against Tom Rockliff

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    474 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Awards FFC Twitter Poster - A great twitter poster on behalf of FFC and TFP

Re: General Trade Week Chat 2011

Goddard to Carlton
    hoff.

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Carlton don't have room in their cap.

More likely: Goddard -> Essendon :-)

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ben the Gooner View Post
    Well trade week is upon us, and we could see a few trades go through this morning.

Morris and #15 from GWS to Richmond for #14 should be done early, and Maric and Connors could find new homes today in a straight swap if rumours are to be believed.

There's also a chance that one of the bigger deals like Clark or Ebert has been done in recent weeks and the clubs will want to finalise it and move on to other business.

There could also be a deal which has completely flown under the radar, perhaps a St Kilda player to ease salary cap burdens.

This morning sees the F/S bidding process with Mitchell a certain first rounder for the Swans, while Buckley and Bews could go for anything to Carlton and Geelong respectively.

Who do you think will be the first trade this week?
    Can you expand on this one, I haven't read about this. So essentially they are giving up Morris for a pick before what they already had?
    2010 Footytips AFL Fantasy Winner
    2010/11 ABC Ashes Fantasy Cricket Runner-Up
    2010/11 Foxsports Big Bash Cricket Fantasy Weekly Winner
    2011 tipthenrl.com NRL Tipping Winner
    2011 AFL Dreamteam Prospectus Group and AFL Membership Group Winner

Team
    NORTH MELBOURNE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think there is a lot of thought that Goddard is moving on from the saints.

And when they don't have a coach yet it seems likely that he will find his way. You would imagine that where ever he goes it will be a massive suprise to most people

Team
    WESTERN BULLDOGS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    326 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

That's what people are thinking d_g. Morris is eligible to be pre-listed by GWS but because they have so many zone selections on their list, they won't be keeping many of the 10 they can pre-list. Obviously, GWS thinks that getting the extra spot higher in the draft is worthwhile, probably suspect they're after the same person at that pick than Richmond.

One other trade that might happen early is Ben Hudson to Brisbane for a late pick. Ben's gone back home to Qld and retired but Brisbane need a back-up ruck for Leuy and the WB are happy for Hudson to play for Brisbane if he wants and would probably do the trade for a late pick just to help him get there.

FFC Senior Assistant Coach
    Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

So what's the rule regarding recently retired players such as Hudson, Brogan, Power and Cornes. Does their previous club still hold the rights to them or can GWS pre-list them without compensating the club?

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    659 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by deledio_gun View Post
    Can you expand on this one, I haven't read about this. So essentially they are giving up Morris for a pick before what they already had?
    Richmond want Steven Morris from the SANFL (the club escapes me) but so do Port, who will probably bid their second rounder for him. So Richmond have gone to GWS and done a deal whereby they keep their first two picks, and get their man.

GWS don't have a lot of list spots left, so they're looking for higher picks rather than more.

Team
    WESTERN BULLDOGS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    326 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Well the clubs still currently hold their contracts so I suspect GWS can't pre-list them without compensation. Not sure I agree with this but that seems to be how it works.

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by divvydan View Post
    That's what people are thinking d_g. Morris is eligible to be pre-listed by GWS but because they have so many zone selections on their list, they won't be keeping many of the 10 they can pre-list. Obviously, GWS thinks that getting the extra spot higher in the draft is worthwhile, probably suspect they're after the same person at that pick than Richmond.
    I guess if GWS were never going to keep Morris, then it's a win-win situation for both clubs. The Tigers get their man and GWS get a slight pick upgrade without giving up anything at all.

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    659 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

Well the clubs still currently hold their contracts so I suspect GWS can't pre-list them without compensation. Not sure I agree with this but that seems to be how it works.
    I think they're contracted until October 31, so the clubs still have the rights to them.

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ben the Gooner View Post
    I think they're contracted until October 31, so the clubs still have the rights to them.
    Ah OK that makes sense. I wonder... If the deadline for GWS's pre-listed selections falls after that, then they could just wait it out a month and pounce as soon as they're out of contract.

Team
    WESTERN BULLDOGS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    326 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Was just thinking some more about it. The AFL has probably been scarred by the Mal Michael situation a few years ago. Imagine the uproar there would be from clubs if an older contracted player decided to retire, then got picked up by GWS and the club got nothing. This would damage the AFL brand severely and since the AFL brand is the thing the AFL cares about the most, the only other option is to allow clubs to receive compensation if it happens.

Also suspect that the AFL didn't really expect GWS to go chasing after a number of recently retired players.

Team
    WESTERN BULLDOGS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    326 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber4ever View Post
    Ah OK that makes sense. I wonder... If the deadline for GWS's pre-listed selections falls after that, then they could just wait it out a month and pounce as soon as they're out of contract.
    The deadline for GWS to sign uncontracted players is Oct 13, for this year anyway.

Team
    ESSENDON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The deadline for GWS to sign uncontracted players is Oct 13, for this year anyway.
    But maybe they sign these players as pre listed selections after their contracts expire on Oct 31.