Important News


User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 49

Thread: Whats the worst trades/drafts in history for your team?

  1. #31
    FFC CEO Kangamagic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Bendigo,Victoria
    Team
    NORTH MELBOURNE
    Posts
    13,551
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Awards Fyfe Award - for outstanding contributions

    Re: Whats the worst trades/drafts in history for your team?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hodges View Post
    Im surprised no Freo supporters have laid out there clubs worst trade.

    As for the Hawks, biggest recent drafting blunders include Ellis (at #3) over Pendles and Mitch Thorp over Ryder. Also getting Beau Dowler at pick 6 after he had been in a car accident and had a shattered pelvis. Great decision that one.
    What about Rhan Hooper and Jarrod Kayler-Thomson (rookie draft)

    Harry Miller 2003 draft pick 25 - did he even play a game? And Josh Thurgood in the pre-season draft of 2006
    Matt Crouch is my boy for 2016 season, can he dominate 2016? time will tell....................

  2. #32
    FFC Football Operations Manager Hodges's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Perth
    Team
    HAWTHORN
    Posts
    4,809
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Whats the worst trades/drafts in history for your team?

    Rhan Hooper didnt play in a loss as a Hawk. Was the exact type of pressure forward we needed, unfortunately had scar tissue on his hammies and simply couldnt string games together. JKT was drafted specifically to fill the role of Clint Young, who had that really nasty ankle injury in the 08 GF (he never hit the same heights after that injury btw). Those two arent drafting blunders, they were decent pickups that didnt work out for various reasons.

    I have no idea who Harry Miller even is, but then every club has a few of those. Josh Thurgood tried his heart out but just wasnt AFL standard. Fair effort to get there though, still employed by the club to this day. Also its a preseason draft, so doesnt really count.

    Keep trying mate, im sure you will find some actual blunders somewhere.
    Only ever talking SC

  3. #33
    FFC Senior Assistant Coach Jonny27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Adelaide
    Team
    GEELONG
    Posts
    2,142
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Re: Whats the worst trades/drafts in history for your team?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hodges View Post
    Im surprised no Freo supporters have laid out there clubs worst trade.

    As for the Hawks, biggest recent drafting blunders include Ellis (at #3) over Pendles and Mitch Thorp over Ryder. Also getting Beau Dowler at pick 6 after he had been in a car accident and had a shattered pelvis. Great decision that one.
    Mitch Thorp was actually taken in the 2006 draft whereas Ryder was in the 2005 draft. Thorp was taken 1 selection in front of this great man:

    Attachment 2197

    Great work to Hawthorn there!

  4. #34
    FFC Cash Cow Nuffman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Team
    ESSENDON
    Posts
    269
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Whats the worst trades/drafts in history for your team?

    Where's a Tigers supporter when you want one? :_P

  5. #35
    FFC Senior Assistant Coach His_Holiness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Perth
    Team
    FREMANTLE
    Posts
    2,248
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Whats the worst trades/drafts in history for your team?

    http://www.bigpondsport.com/trades-f...6/default.aspx

    That outlines most of our shockers, but I would hardly call the Tarrant deal a shocker. We traded for him after we finished in the top 4 in 2006 in the hope he could take us to the flag in 07. Medhurst had one good year at the pies but he hardly lasted long there in the end. Also Headland was bad in hindsight, but at the time it would have been considered a massive coup. Recently though we've fixed our act and have done better than most at the trade table and in the draft.

    Also you need to understand why Fremantle traded pick 1 in 2001. When Connolly and Schwab came to the club at the end of 2001 we were riled in debt, membership was down and crowds were at the lowest in our history. They immediately recognised that to get Fremantle strong off the field in the short term they needed a big name on the field, and that is why pick 1 went to get Croad and McPharlin. In that regard, it worked. The very next year we averaged the highest crowd figures in our history, and by 2004 we broke 30k members. You can criticise the Connolly/Schwab era for not taking Fremantle further on the field and for missing opportunities, but their administration laid the foundation for what is now one of the strongest clubs off the field.
    Twitter: His_Holiness15

  6. #36
    FFC General Manager Crow-mo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    UK
    Team
    ADELAIDE
    Posts
    5,476
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    289 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    the 2001 trades were very good business for Freo, anyone arguing otherwise is ignoring the context of the time.

    i'll argue the groom trade was a good one too. Imagine if gumbleton was pre draft selection in 2006 & had been traded for Joel Selwood: does gumbleton have less currency after the event all of a sudden because he subsequently had injuries?

    Freo needed talls in 01 and were taking polak at #1 regardless. they parlayed their position into;
    Croad - an amazing prospect
    Polak
    McPharlin

    at the time hawks fans were screaming mcpharlin had been stolen (he was) and Croad was too high a price for anyone after he nearly won the 2001 prelim off his own boot

    just cause its freo, people like to reinvent history
    TEX WALKER. that is all.

  7. #37
    FFC CEO Kangamagic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Bendigo,Victoria
    Team
    NORTH MELBOURNE
    Posts
    13,551
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Awards Fyfe Award - for outstanding contributions

    Re: Whats the worst trades/drafts in history for your team?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hodges View Post
    Rhan Hooper didnt play in a loss as a Hawk. Was the exact type of pressure forward we needed, unfortunately had scar tissue on his hammies and simply couldnt string games together. JKT was drafted specifically to fill the role of Clint Young, who had that really nasty ankle injury in the 08 GF (he never hit the same heights after that injury btw). Those two arent drafting blunders, they were decent pickups that didnt work out for various reasons.

    I have no idea who Harry Miller even is, but then every club has a few of those. Josh Thurgood tried his heart out but just wasnt AFL standard. Fair effort to get there though, still employed by the club to this day. Also its a preseason draft, so doesnt really count.

    Keep trying mate, im sure you will find some actual blunders somewhere.
    Just letting you know Hodges this thread is for all drafts so every player ever taken as a pick is counted

    To refresh your memory this is Harry Miller getting it on with Mark Williams in a game, they seem to be enjoying themselves

    Matt Crouch is my boy for 2016 season, can he dominate 2016? time will tell....................

  8. #38
    FFC CEO Kangamagic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Bendigo,Victoria
    Team
    NORTH MELBOURNE
    Posts
    13,551
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Awards Fyfe Award - for outstanding contributions

    Re: Whats the worst trades/drafts in history for your team?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nuffman View Post
    Where's a Tigers supporter when you want one? :_P
    They are very hard to find, though Tigerlicious follows them so hopefully he can add his 2 cent worth in very soon
    Matt Crouch is my boy for 2016 season, can he dominate 2016? time will tell....................

  9. #39
    FFC Football Operations Manager Hodges's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Perth
    Team
    HAWTHORN
    Posts
    4,809
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Whats the worst trades/drafts in history for your team?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny27 View Post
    Mitch Thorp was actually taken in the 2006 draft whereas Ryder was in the 2005 draft. Thorp was taken 1 selection in front of this great man:

    Attachment 2197

    Great work to Hawthorn there!
    Thats right, it was Thorp over Selwood and Dowler over Ryder. If you believe the rumours back then, Geelong took a big risk by picking him at 7. Would be interesting having Selwood at the Hawks though - as a rule we dont tend to get free kicks, something he bases his game around. Wonder which would win out

    And KM that picture isnt loading for some reason. Clearly your making Harry Miller up!
    Only ever talking SC

  10. #40
    FFC CEO Kangamagic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Bendigo,Victoria
    Team
    NORTH MELBOURNE
    Posts
    13,551
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Awards Fyfe Award - for outstanding contributions

    Re: Whats the worst trades/drafts in history for your team?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hodges View Post
    Thats right, it was Thorp over Selwood and Dowler over Ryder. If you believe the rumours back then, Geelong took a big risk by picking him at 7. Would be interesting having Selwood at the Hawks though - as a rule we dont tend to get free kicks, something he bases his game around. Wonder which would win out

    And KM that picture isnt loading for some reason. Clearly your making Harry Miller up!
    It worked at home, hopefully it works now
    Miller is real mate !!!!! haha

    Matt Crouch is my boy for 2016 season, can he dominate 2016? time will tell....................

  11. #41
    FFC Football Operations Manager Hodges's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Perth
    Team
    HAWTHORN
    Posts
    4,809
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Whats the worst trades/drafts in history for your team?

    Haha, still nothing. Even tried to open it in a new tab, apparently im being denied access to that website.

    I still say Miller doesnt exist.
    Only ever talking SC

  12. #42
    FFC CEO Kangamagic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Bendigo,Victoria
    Team
    NORTH MELBOURNE
    Posts
    13,551
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Awards Fyfe Award - for outstanding contributions

    Re: Whats the worst trades/drafts in history for your team?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hodges View Post
    Haha, still nothing. Even tried to open it in a new tab, apparently im being denied access to that website.

    I still say Miller doesnt exist.
    Maybe someone else can do it ! its working my end, and I can see both images I did today! He does exist haha
    Matt Crouch is my boy for 2016 season, can he dominate 2016? time will tell....................

  13. #43
    FFC Senior Assistant Coach
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Castlemaine, Victoria
    Team
    MELBOURNE
    Posts
    2,204
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Whats the worst trades/drafts in history for your team?

    i think hodge is playing funny buggers kanga cause i can see those pics fine
    My posts come from a SC POV

  14. #44
    FFC CEO Kangamagic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Bendigo,Victoria
    Team
    NORTH MELBOURNE
    Posts
    13,551
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Awards Fyfe Award - for outstanding contributions

    Re: Whats the worst trades/drafts in history for your team?

    Quote Originally Posted by nethermage View Post
    i think hodge is playing funny buggers kanga cause i can see those pics fine
    Cheers mage ! I think he knows that Miller was a shit pick thats why!
    Matt Crouch is my boy for 2016 season, can he dominate 2016? time will tell....................

  15. #45
    FFC Football Operations Manager Hodges's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Perth
    Team
    HAWTHORN
    Posts
    4,809
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Whats the worst trades/drafts in history for your team?

    Haha, I wish. That Selwood pic is showing up fine, the Miller ones arent. I would much rather see pictures of a dud pick than a picture of my most hated player, so you can be sure im not lying...

    I still say he doesnt exist though.
    Only ever talking SC

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •